Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Update - '12SS to '13 Evo X MR

I was going to comment on the thread I started a while ago, but I guess it turned into a flame fest & was locked. Thanks everyone for your comments. They were extremely entertaining lol.

Anyway, so it's been a month since I traded in my '12 SS for my '13 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR, and it's been SO FUN! I put less than 14,000 miles on the Camaro in a year because it just wasn't that entertaining to drive once the thrill of the power wore off. In contrast, I put over 3,000 on my Evo in a month lol. It's *that* fun to drive! I can't stop driving the damn thing!!!!

The very first time the hood was opened (after I bought it obviously) was actually at the dyno to get the ECU tuned. With absolutely no mods other than an ECU/TCU reflash (stock air filter even), it picked up 40 awhp peak, and 50 awhp @ 6,500 rpm. Also got the '08 TCU firmware which lets the clutches handle more torque than the overly-cautious '13 firmware.

The biggest difference is now I just dive into corners without slowing down. With my Camaro, the biggest worry was navigating that big ass car around things without being able to see anything, and sawing at the wheel to change directions. Now I just turn in, and in a hurry. The rack on the Camaro was always way too slow, while the Evo's turn in is scary-quick (13.3:1 ratio compared to 16.1:1). I never need to use hand-over-hand steering anywhere but a parking lot. I can make a 90-degree corner keeping both hands on the wheel. With the Camaro, steering was always way too busy.

I also love how planted the Evo is, and how well it puts the power down. No wheel hop at all (the Camaro had way too much wheel hop, even after new toe links and whatever bars). I plan on getting some springs to lower it about an inch all around since I only drive it on-road, and sending the shocks to Bilstein to get re-valved, but it's mostly for looks. It handles just fine even if it has an off-road stance.

Also, it's amazing how quickly the dual-clutch transmission shifts. I normally drive with the engine traction control off, brake yaw control on (torque-biasing rear diff yaw control is always on, and of course there is no adjustment for the front helical torque-biasing front diff), center diff in "tarmac" mode, and the transmission in "Super-Sport" / manual (the owner's manual states S-Sport should not be used on public roads lol). If it's raining, I'll switch the center diff to "gravel" mode and turn the brake AYC off. Seems to be a bit more neutral and easier to control that way with the limited traction.

The thing just bangs through the gears keeping the turbo spooled the whole time, and it's seamless on the downshifts as well (automatic throttle-blip rev matching). As an aside, the owner's manual also states that pulling the parking brake disengages the center diff to allow the rear wheels to "lock easier" (translation: e-brake turns!).

Needless to say in Oregon I'm loving this car. I really do feel it's the fastest way from A to B on all roads under all conditions. It's not a car that will pull every car in a straight line on the freeway, but that kind of thing is boring anyway.

Next mods will be some bolt-ons and a re-tune to get another 50 or so awhp, and I'll be totally happy with the power output. Supposedly just getting rid of the cat is good for about 20 more, since it's the main bottleneck w/ the stock setup. And I love that AWD/S-AWC system can use every bit of the power, and move it to wherever it needs to be for any given situation.

Only things I miss about the Camaro are the looks, the low-end torque, and the instant-down passenger window (Evo only has instant-down on the driver side). It won't win any beauty contests, but the Evo feels at least as good, and mostly better, in every other category.

One thing I had to get used to was that since the transmission is an auto-manual, moving my foot from the brake to the gas initiates a sequence where the engine revs up, then the odd-side clutch starts to engage, just like a person would do it. With a pure auto, the torque converter is already pulling, so it's hard to remember that even though I only have 2 pedals, I still have to plan my launches as if I was working the clutch. Sometimes I'll "power-brake" a bit just to load it up for launches like when I'm trying to hit a gap in traffic to merge going to work in the morning.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more comments!

But just to pre-answer a few of them...
  • Yes, it's funny my screen name is ihascamaro, yet I no longer have one.
  • Yes, it's ironic that I would still post on this forum when I no longer have a Camaro, but please save your GTFO comments (they are childish).
  • No, it wasn't a ridiculous decision, it was the right one for me and my style of driving, and the places/conditions in which I do it.
  • Yes, the Evo can handle an extra 100 hp on the stock bottom end without a problem, and yes it's easy to do with bolt-ons (I'm already halfway there *without* bolt-ons, and in Europe they sell a 400 hp version w/ a stock bottom end).
  • Yes, the Camaro is a great car (and dead sexy). I'm not trying to bash the Camaro, I'm just saying the Evo is greater in the areas I most care about, and I'm *so happy* I traded (...dare I say...) up!
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Thank god you came back to update everyone on how much better your evo is. I'm glad you're happy...really, I am.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Thank god you came back to update everyone on how much better your evo is.
No lie. This entire month I've sat in front of my computer waiting for this thread. Finally, my girl friend doesn't have to keep bringing my my toilet bucket and sammiches.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
No lie. This entire month I've sat in front of my computer waiting for this thread. Finally, my girl friend doesn't have to keep bringing my my toilet bucket and sammiches.
LMAO....that's what I was thinking, and you put it into words, good job!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
I wouldn't be caught dead in one, but more power to you op.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

The evo forums must be slow this morning.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
joey0480

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Glad to hear. I went to a loaded 2013 gsr as of recent. I drove the MR and just couldnt deal with the dual clutch auto jazz. Plus if u plan to go over 400awhp the manual is the way to go. Just a preference. I needed a back seat with my son and really needed something to handle all weather. The evo is a tank with snow tires.

TBE, intake, UICP, and tune will get you about 100awhp. Then tack on an electronic boost controller. Rather cheap way to gain some serious power.

I do miss my camaro as well sometimes. Nothing like the sound of a v8. And the power was always through the band where we have to build boost. But overall I am very happy with my choice....fits my lifestyle.

I still hang around here. Generally good group of people.....generally.

SOLD:Team L99
ADM Race Intake and Scoop
Vmax Ported TB
Borla-S axlebacks
ARH 1 7/8 Long Tubes and Hi Flo Cats
160 Thermostat
Pfdat front and rear sways and endlinks
Gold Pearl Powdercoated calipers
Gloss black CFD strut covers
GM gill stripes
******** 12" Stealth Kicker Package
joey0480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
Rock on

Drives: black 2011 2ss
Your either a muscle car guy or a rice burner , I just don't think a rice burner can sit at stop light shaking and rumbling looking cool
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
bw26ss
Banned

whats your lifestyle, burnin rice, lol.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
joey0480

Drives: 2013 Evo X
There is quite a difference between a rice burner and a tuner/rally car

SOLD:Team L99
ADM Race Intake and Scoop
Vmax Ported TB
Borla-S axlebacks
ARH 1 7/8 Long Tubes and Hi Flo Cats
160 Thermostat
Pfdat front and rear sways and endlinks
Gold Pearl Powdercoated calipers
Gloss black CFD strut covers
GM gill stripes
******** 12" Stealth Kicker Package
joey0480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
bw26ss
Banned

if you say so.......
Old 06-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
this
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Rock on

Drives: black 2011 2ss
You forgot Rattle Can_____________ Catch Can
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Read these responses make me miss my evo's more.
Good choice on the evo :-)