Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Some more updating....swapping the throttle position sensor did not solve the issue. It eventually returned. The next thing I did was replaced my accelerator pedal assembly. This also did nothing for me. At this point I returned my car back to the stock tune, and it still eventually went into the reduced engine mode. I brought it to Chevy and they ran some tests and said the wiring is fine and suggested I replace my throttle body. They wanted close to $700 for this so I just picked my car up and ordered an OEM AC Delco throttle body through advanced auto. Had a $50 off coupon so it cost about $180 shipped to my house. I'm reusing the throttle body gasket as it is in great condition. These do not come with the new throttle body and cost about $15. Replacing the throttle body is very simple. I'll update in a few weeks, hoping the new throttle body will correct the issue.
Lol...Dealer wanted 700 bucks for a 200 dollar part and a 10 minute swap

This may sound dumb, but I had the same thing happen after my build and its probably worth mentioning, even if its not the reason or fix to your problem:

Are you by any chance having issues with your Tire Pressure Sensors? Reason I ask, because when I originally did my Z28 wheels, I didn't run TPS sensors with them. First time out with the car, as soon as I laid into the accelerator aggressively---- reduced engine power mode - Stabilitrak light - ABS light - etc.

Long story short, it all ended up being because the computer could not detect the TPS Sensors, even though I was getting the same code you were. Good luck!
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
That's very interesting. I do have stock rims and TPMS sensors. Different tires but same size as stock. When I removed the stock throttle body I realized the plate was not fully closed. I have to push on it for it to fully close. I believe these should be in a fully closed state. When holding it up to the light I could see about 1/8" gap around throttle plate. Wondering if this could be causing my issue. Just not sure because this only occasionally occurs. I can go 50+ miles without it happening. I'll be replacing the new throttle body tomorrow so only time will tell!
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #17
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
That's very interesting. I do have stock rims and TPMS sensors. Different tires but same size as stock. When I removed the stock throttle body I realized the plate was not fully closed. I have to push on it for it to fully close. I believe these should be in a fully closed state. When holding it up to the light I could see about 1/8" gap around throttle plate. Wondering if this could be causing my issue. Just not sure because this only occasionally occurs. I can go 50+ miles without it happening. I'll be replacing the new throttle body tomorrow so only time will tell!
The throttle body is never 100% closed. Even carburetors are never fully closed.

Pushing on it may have broken it.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:08 PM   #18
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Hey OP. Did the throttle body fix your problem? I hope it fixes your issue as you have been plagued awhile with it. A bad TB was my first guess as to the problem. I have a PTB and had the same issue. Took off the TB and gave ita good cleaning as it was getting gunked up by the overflow from the catch can. No more problems since. I just remove and clean TB about once a year. But the TB internal electronics can go bad... but we cannot buy the part by itself. They stick us with buying a whole new TB. I guess they feel better this way and not have to worry about being sued.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #19
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
I had a very similar problem years ago. Mine was a tuning issue do to the altitude, tuner at 7K+ and most of my driving is around the 2800-5000 area, as well as a very finicky NW 102 TB. eventually we got it sorted out.
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #20
BJVCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Does oil in the intake manifold have anything to do with this problem? I cleaned the throttle body and worked fine for a while and then started the powering down thing again, I noticed that there is oil coming from intake manifold making the throttle body dirty again on the back side. Better question, what is causing the oil in the intake manifold?
BJVCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #21
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
I dont drive my car very often but after installing the new throttle body and driving for a few months with no issue, it happened again yesterday. I contacted a different chevrolet dealer and made an appointment to have my car looked at. So for me the new throttle body and new accelerator pedal did not change anything. I will follow up after I get it into the other dealership. Hopefully they will have some ideas other than what I have already been told by the previous dealership. I'm still wondering if my tune could be causing this as it began happening after the tune was uploaded. I did flash back to stock and re upload the tune after the new throttle body install and it still eventually went to REM.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Sorry to hear your still having problems as Fred said long ago pushing the blade closed is not a good idea on the throttle body as it has plastic gears you can inspect when disassembling the TB...… In your place I would not be using the dealer but rather my electrical guru who is my tuner Tommy Wong as he has a couple electrical engineering degrees and he is who I use.

First though I would have done some things you have ; yet of course wondered and carefully inspected all pins inside any connections in the electrical harnesses reconnecting them........and if having any issue in appearance; mostly replaced connectors... as installing any new parts with misaligned pins can be shorting. You now state you flashed back to stock yet then you went back to uploading the tune again which to avoid a problem if it was with the tune you should not have done...……..

Just thought I would point this out, that and I think a auto electrical shop would more likely help you versus a dealership, and one that has installed aftermarket LS engine packages and with experience chasing gremlins...…. Good Luck. And of course making sure things are tight like the TB matters.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #23
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I'm curious why you never contacted Steve reference your tune....
He reached out to you twice. Seems you are throwing money at wild guesses.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!

Last edited by Avenging Orange; 07-06-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 AM   #24
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I'm curious why you never contacted Steve reference your tune....
He reached out to you twice. Seems you are throwing money money at wild guesses.
Exactly.

I have contacted Steve privately a couple of times for things that we both knew could not have had to do with his tune, but because I was a customer, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. He could have told me to pound sand. Instead he gave me his opinion of the issue based on the symptoms and he was 100% correct.

Now, keep in mind there is only so much he can do or say if it is not related to the tune, as that opens liability issues, and he is also NOT our personal 'mechanic on call'. But he has never turned me away and has always at the very least been very courteous and interested in the issue.

This man has tuned 1000's of these cars in nearly every modification combination you can think of, so if there is an issue, he has probably seen it before.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #25
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send me a PM if you want to me to give you all the diagnostics required to properly diagnose this.

If i had to take a swing at this. I’d tell you to replace your entire throttle body.. yes the entire ASSEMBLY and get an idle learn done. But that’s provided the dealer actually checked all the wiring and terminal tension for the related circuits. Replace it with an OEM part unless it’s discontinued. Your accelerator pedal has NOTHING to do with this DTC, the advice posted about the APP being the problem is wrong.

If people want a full non backyard bobs bait and camshafts type diagnostic breakdown, I can post one for everyone.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #26
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Try removing and cleaning the throttle body and mag sensor. It is a known problem on gm vehicles and I had success doing it. The carbon buildup is not much but messes with tps.
I keep getting this code every now and then but I have a stock brand new TB with a cold air intake. Where does the carbon build up come from? Could it be the exhaust? Clean my TB and fixed the problem until about 2-3 weeks later it happened again.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote