Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #43
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I expect they'll take the current design for a starting point, and then play with it.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #44
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Really, we'll have to see where the last half of the current generation takes us. They could do a major styling update the way they did when they added full bumpers to second gens, or LS1s to fourth gens. I think whatever they do would be a progression of that. I'd like to see GM put her on a diet, and maybe add a little more sleekness (that's a word now).
Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #45
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
Given that that statement is true (which it is) the car is going to lose some room- most likely in the trunk- which will put it in the category of useless just like the GTO is/was. I would venture to guess that you will notice very little change on the exterior when the platform switch occurs. Too much change at once is probably not the greatest of ideas. Personally, I would LOVE for them to figure out how to bring T-tops back and hold the structural integrity they are forcing themselves to maintain for crash tests. That's really my only wish for a "change".

I agree, but I really think the 6th gen is going to be smaller than the 5th gen. I also think it's going to weigh less. I think we're going to see a shorter nose, and smaller ass end. I also think we're going to see 4 cyl, 6 cyl, and 8 cyl engine options. Overall I think the car is going to slim down, and become more of a sporty coupe than a "muscle" car. T-tops would be fantastic if they could pull it off. I think the car is going to handle better because it will be lighter and will have a smaller foot print. I would prefer they just left the car the way it is now but with minor changes to the interior and exterior styling. However, the times they are a changin, and if GM wants to compete, they are going to have to change too. It's rumored that the next gen Corvette is going to be lighter and with a smaller displacement V8 in place of the LS3. I think this same thing will occur with the 6th gen Camaro. So, smaller displacement V8 in a car the size of the Camaro? Sure it would work, but not as well as the LS3. And I don't think that GM is going to alienate their customers by going from a 6.2 liter down to a 5.5 liter (this is the rumored next gen corvette motor, example only) without also slimming down the car and making it weigh less.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #46
brandotron
I am the internets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
I agree, but I really think the 6th gen is going to be smaller than the 5th gen. I also think it's going to weigh less. I think we're going to see a shorter nose, and smaller ass end. I also think we're going to see 4 cyl, 6 cyl, and 8 cyl engine options. Overall I think the car is going to slim down, and become more of a sporty coupe than a "muscle" car. T-tops would be fantastic if they could pull it off. I think the car is going to handle better because it will be lighter and will have a smaller foot print. I would prefer they just left the car the way it is now but with minor changes to the interior and exterior styling. However, the times they are a changin, and if GM wants to compete, they are going to have to change too. It's rumored that the next gen Corvette is going to be lighter and with a smaller displacement V8 in place of the LS3. I think this same thing will occur with the 6th gen Camaro. So, smaller displacement V8 in a car the size of the Camaro? Sure it would work, but not as well as the LS3. And I don't think that GM is going to alienate their customers by going from a 6.2 liter down to a 5.5 liter (this is the rumored next gen corvette motor, example only) without also slimming down the car and making it weigh less.
But if they do slim it down to a 5.5 liter, remember that the next gen V8 will be direct injected. Smaller, but with the same power as your big 6.2. It's what the LS1 did for/to the BBC. Same power, but better tech, lighter weight, more fuel efficiency, etc...
Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #47
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
I love the way the 5th generation looks - big, powerful, and imposing - but I think if they try to scale it down for the new smaller platform it will lose its impact. A car that's small and light shouldn't try to look big and beefy. I think we'll see something lower, something sleeker, something more suited to the crowded streets of Hong Kong.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #48
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinatra Andretti View Post
i think they need a updated version of the 4th gen....

4th Gen

The 4th gen is just typical of car styling throughout the 80s and 90s. I don't think any design from those decades will endure the test of time.

The Naughties on the other hand, gave birth to amazing designs like the Vanquish, Porsche GT, R8 and of course the Gen5 Camaro.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #49
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It's no coincidence that the retro look coincides with the fact that a lot of baby boomers are retiring and looking to recapture their youth (AKA mid-life crisis redux).

The next generation won't need to cater to that market any more, but will need to attract the next generation of buyers, so I am predicting a significant design change. I think you will see the same happen with the 2015 Mustang as well. I think the 2010 Mustang design is an interim design - a design to bridge between the 2005 Mustang and the 2015 Mustang.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #50
SweetSandMan

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
A bigger opening for the trunk would be a start.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #51
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
one of two routes will likely happen:

1. complete redesign
2. The end of the "generations"- I think you may start to see "styling" updates yearly just as you see minor other changes. Your kind of seeing that with the mustangs. 2009, 2010, 2011 are all significantly different. For now they call the 2010 the first of the "new" look, but what if 2012 is significantly different as well?
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #52
SweetSandMan

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
one of two routes will likely happen:

1. complete redesign
2. The end of the "generations"- I think you may start to see "styling" updates yearly just as you see minor other changes. Your kind of seeing that with the mustangs. 2009, 2010, 2011 are all significantly different. For now they call the 2010 the first of the "new" look, but what if 2012 is significantly different as well?
Styling wise...the Mustang has about a 5 year life span usually before change in looks happens. 2009 was the last of the 05-09 style...and 2010 is the start of the new style (2011 is visually the same as the 2010...just drivetrain alterations and a lower stance)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #53
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
I agree 100% here. Hopefully they won't make the same mistakes by going away from a great design.

How about making a 2011 55 Chevy??
Or how about a 2011 Chevy II or some sort of Chevelles SS with modern LS6! Subtile changes to the 5th Gen only please, lighter and faster.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #54
brandotron
I am the internets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackcamaros View Post
Or how about a 2011 Chevy II or some sort of Chevelles SS with modern LS6! Subtile changes to the 5th Gen only please, lighter and faster.
LS6 was the GenIII engine used in the C5 z06. They already used that name for a modern one
Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #55
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
But if they do slim it down to a 5.5 liter, remember that the next gen V8 will be direct injected. Smaller, but with the same power as your big 6.2. It's what the LS1 did for/to the BBC. Same power, but better tech, lighter weight, more fuel efficiency, etc...
Yep, a direct inject 5.5 liter V8 in a smaller, lighter alpha platform Camaro?

That's a recipe for fun my friend.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #56
2KWIK4U

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2014 Camaro vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
See, that is an interesting point. I remember hearing that when they designed the 5th generation they set out not to copy the 1st generation but imagine what the 1st generation would have evolved into over the last 40 years had they never radically changed the original formula, exactly what Porsche has done with the 911.

That's the way I would like to see it go. It has a great design now and maybe it only needs refinements. The new platform is suppose to address the weight issue so that is a good start.

Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
2KWIK4U is offline   Reply With Quote