Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
How would you have handled this situation?

I came out the other night from seeing a movie and a guy had parked within 6-8 inches of my car on the passenger side, even though the spots were huge and he had plenty of room on the other side. I walked in between the cars and it was so dark I couldn’t see any damage, but I was going to pull out into the light to check. As I was backing out the owner of the car came fast-walking towards my car, got right in front of my car and started mouthing something at me. He was very aggressive and without sounding prejudice, looked like the type that could be carrying a gun or knife on him. I chose to drive off.

Later I saw a huge door ding on my car. I don’t know if it was caused by him because I hadn’t checked over there in a while, but it seemed likely. Took it to a body shop and they said PDR won’t fix it and whoever did that probably had to do it deliberately to get that much of a dent. So if it was the guy from the night before, sounds like he was just looking for a fight.

I am pissed, but at the same time I’m kind of glad I didn’t see it that night and confront him. Seemed like a bad situation all around. What do you think you would have done?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I promise you that you did the right thing by not confronting him. An idiot of any size can be carrying a weapon, and getting yourself or your loved ones hurt over a car is not at all worth it. In hindsight, I guess getting his plate number and pulling away to a safe place and calling the police might have been the best answer, but as frustrated as you are, think how you would feel if something that lead to anyones injury would have occurred. I hate that you had to deal with this, but hats off for keeping your cool!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
I came out the other night from seeing a movie and a guy had parked within 6-8 inches of my car on the passenger side, even though the spots were huge and he had plenty of room on the other side. I walked in between the cars and it was so dark I couldn’t see any damage, but I was going to pull out into the light to check. As I was backing out the owner of the car came fast-walking towards my car, got right in front of my car and started mouthing something at me. He was very aggressive and without sounding prejudice, looked like the type that could be carrying a gun or knife on him. I chose to drive off.

Later I saw a huge door ding on my car. I don’t know if it was caused by him because I hadn’t checked over there in a while, but it seemed likely. Took it to a body shop and they said PDR won’t fix it and whoever did that probably had to do it deliberately to get that much of a dent. So if it was the guy from the night before, sounds like he was just looking for a fight.

I am pissed, but at the same time I’m kind of glad I didn’t see it that night and confront him. Seemed like a bad situation all around. What do you think you would have done?

If I'm ever cautious I take a picture of their plate.. just in case I need to know how to find them.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
I would have asked him politely what the problem is and then explained in as calm a tone as possible that I was checking my car for dings. If he appeared to be calm at that point, I would go check the door (pulling out of the spot if need be), and would have then called the police to take a damage report.

If he wasn't calm, I would have called the police without getting out of the vehicle. If he decided to leave the scene, I would have taken down his vehicle information.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
MikeInVegas

Drives: 2013 2SS
I would have done the same thing. Door dings suck, but your life is still worth more.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I would have confronted him.....who the hell do people think they are....im guessing he didn't plan on seeing you..when he did he puffs out the chest...but hey at least you didn't get into any trouble.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
I park in the farthest corner of the parking lot to prevent this situation from arising, but if it had I would have gotten his information. Definitely not just going to run away.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
A little of what most said. Calmly ask what's the matter, then recheck the door in the light, take plate number down. Call police if necessary.

I'm a little guy but I don't get intimidated easily and I carry too
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I would have confronted him.....who the hell do people think they are....im guessing he didn't plan on seeing you..when he did he puffs out the chest...but hey at least you didn't get into any trouble.
I have to ask, what's the weapon situation in your area ?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I would have had to "confront" him. Not aggressively, mind you, but in an attempt to calm him and find out what the problem is (was). Time permitting, I definitely would have taken pictures before he came out - his plate # being the first photo.

I never invite trouble or conflict from others, but if it's right there in my face I will attempt to quell it... hopefully through discussion, but potentially through action. In a planned outing such as going to a movie (which I haven't done in years), I would have "protection" with me via CCA permit.

It's a tough call on things like this. OP probably did the smart thing.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
There's never a "right or wrong answer", to many variables and unknowns in the situation. There is only what you do and the outcome, which in this case you walked away safely which is always priority #1. Judging by his behavior and the fact that he was the one in the wrong, there is a good chance rationalizing and calming him down would not have worked out well. Your gut and brain will usually tell you what to do, and in this case they were telling you to leave, and your here today to tell about it so I'd say you did the right thing.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
tmcclint

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
It is just a car but people like that get away with carelessness way too often. I think by not reporting him you probably just allowed him to continue doing damage to other peoples belongings without consequence. People like that really need to be held accountable for their actions. Had he had to pay the $$$ for the repair, he may think twice about doing it again. I agree though that if he was looking for a fight, it's probably best to have just pulled away, snapped a shot of his license plate and then left. You might check with the movie theater to see if they have video of your car on the night in question and see if it was really that guy that caused the dent. If so, you might talk to the police and see what could be done. Sorry you had to go through that.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
What if he was saying: wait I hit your car, let me fix it. Jokes aside I think you did the right thing some people can't just talk.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Park under a light, carry a high lumens penlight and be on the look out for #2, #3..... a picture of your two cars next to each other would also be beneficial.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote