Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #57
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Ted, in your opinion what makes this setup worth the extra cost over the other options out there such as Magnuson? Pretty much all of the forced induction setups available for this platform will make this kind of power. I do see this being more future proofed per say for making big power, but lets say we are keeping power under 700whp. Does this setup still hold an advantage?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #58
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Ted, in your opinion what makes this setup worth the extra cost over the other options out there such as Magnuson? Pretty much all of the forced induction setups available for this platform will make this kind of power. I do see this being more future proofed per say for making big power, but lets say we are keeping power under 700whp. Does this setup still hold an advantage?
This is the highest power we have seen per 9.4 lb of boost of any FI option by at least 75 RWHP on 93 octane pump gasoline.

We seen 600 RWHP on only 6.4 lb. of boost.

The potential of this kit is 1200 HP so I really don't think it is fair to compare to any other Forced induction options, most of the off the shelf kits will only support about 8-900 HP.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #59
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
In all fairness there's no power being robbed off the snout of the crankshaft to turn a blower head. This kit although pricey looks to be very well engineered and as clean as it gets. The results speak for themselves this is not a cheap chinese made turbo kit setup like I have seen on some Mustangs.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #60
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
This is the most important question in my opinion. IF you want to stay under say 700whp... it seems you can do it much cheaper by using one of the supercharger kits. You’ll need more boost to get the same HP, but depending where the power starts to come in, the end result may be closer than you would think in real world testing like drag racing. That being said, the turbos probably sound much cooler and certainly look awesome as well. This kit does look pretty thought out and very clean.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #61
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Damm this is so tempting. It just seems like a waste if you need to limit it to ~550 whp for occasional road course use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #62
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
This is the most important question in my opinion. IF you want to stay under say 700whp... it seems you can do it much cheaper by using one of the supercharger kits. You’ll need more boost to get the same HP, but depending where the power starts to come in, the end result may be closer than you would think in real world testing like drag racing. That being said, the turbos probably sound much cooler and certainly look awesome as well. This kit does look pretty thought out and very clean.
Exactly...I expected the turbo setup to make more power per pound of boost because there is no parasitic pumping loss. However my question was not really answered. I was wanting to know if the turbos would allow more power with the same fuel system limitations. For example, most supercharger kits tap the stock fuel system around 580whp on 93. Now being the Turbo system makes another 75whp at the same boost level, does that mean this setup does not max the stock fuel system until 650whp due to the increased efficiency of the turbos? If so then that would off set some of the cost difference between this setup and the other options because fuel system upgrades are expensive.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #63
Eyefixstuff

Quote:
Exactly...I expected the turbo setup to make more power per pound of boost because there is no parasitic pumping loss. However my question was not really answered. I was wanting to know if the turbos would allow more power with the same fuel system limitations. For example, most supercharger kits tap the stock fuel system around 580whp on 93. Now being the Turbo system makes another 75whp at the same boost level, does that mean this setup does not max the stock fuel system until 650whp due to the increased efficiency of the turbos? If so then that would off set some of the cost difference between this setup and the other options because fuel system upgrades are expensive.
Will have to wait for Teds response on that, but I still think the cost of say a procharger + fuel upgrades is still cheaper by a decent margin, whether you are installing yourself or not. Keep in mind you don’t need to do anything with exhaust with a supercharger setup either, at least not at the <650 power goal.

I’m still having a very hard time being convinced it’s a better value to do this if you don’t have high power level goals. You’re talking $9000 for the base kit and twice the labor. If my math is right it’s still cheaper to go supercharger + fuel upgrades for ~650whp. If this kit also requires the fuel upgrades to push past 600, then it’s not even close from a pure money standpoint.

Also I don’t mean to try to steer anyone away from this and certainly don’t want to try to diminish anything Ted has posted because the guy is awesome and one of the best tuners I’ve come across. And when it’s all said and done if I had the money I wouldn’t think twice about this kit. The potential is crazy, and it looks downright sick. Just my .02
Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #64
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
Damm this is so tempting. It just seems like a waste if you need to limit it to ~550 whp for occasional road course use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you get that Idea?

Quote:
The fuel delivery limit is a hard limit, the boost however to get there is not.

Quote:
Will have to wait for Teds response on that, but I still think the cost of say a procharger + fuel upgrades is still cheaper by a decent margin, whether you are installing yourself or not. Keep in mind you don’t need to do anything with exhaust with a supercharger setup either, at least not at the <650 power goal.

I’m still having a very hard time being convinced it’s a better value to do this if you don’t have high power level goals. You’re talking $9000 for the base kit and twice the labor. If my math is right it’s still cheaper to go supercharger + fuel upgrades for ~650whp. If this kit also requires the fuel upgrades to push past 600, then it’s not even close from a pure money standpoint.

Also I don’t mean to try to steer anyone away from this and certainly don’t want to try to diminish anything Ted has posted because the guy is awesome and one of the best tuners I’ve come across. And when it’s all said and done if I had the money I wouldn’t think twice about this kit. The potential is crazy, and it looks downright sick. Just my .02
We fully realize this upgrade is not for everyone looking to get to < 700 RWHP but it leaves so much room for growth in the long run like a lot of investments the more expensive ones end up being cheaper.

We are excited to do a fully forged cam, ported Head, build with LPE fuel system and see what the real potential of this kit is.

So far we have only scratched the surface.

Ted.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #65
Eyefixstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Where did you get that Idea?

The fuel delivery limit is a hard limit, the boost however to get there is not.

We fully realize this upgrade is not for everyone looking to get to < 700 RWHP but it leaves so much room for growth in the long run like a lot of investments the more expensive ones end up being cheaper.

We are excited to do a fully forged cam, ported Head, build with LPE fuel system and see what the real potential of this kit is.

So far we have only scratched the surface.

Ted.
Can’t wait to see this. Depending if I get a 2019 or not, maybe I’ll have to consider this package since I’ll likely take it a decent amount further than my current car. But only time will tell if a 19 will have some good enough changes to make me sell mine and get a brand new one or not. Good work Ted.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #66
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Can’t wait to see this. Depending if I get a 2019 or not, maybe I’ll have to consider this package since I’ll likely take it a decent amount further than my current car. But only time will tell if a 19 will have some good enough changes to make me sell mine and get a brand new one or not. Good work Ted.
Thank you
Old 03-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #67
JANNETTYRACING

So I had to knock out a bunch of other tunes before I could get back to testing.

We installed 5 psi springs in the wastages and as I predicted we ended up with 7.4 psi boost with the off road pipes.

ON E-50 and 7.4 PSI boost we made 670 RWHP 670 RWTQ, Remember this is an automatic car.

Pretty impressive the 7.4 psi on E-50 can almost Identically match 9.4 psi on 93 octane.

Graph below is an overlay of those 2 runs, Blue is HP, Red is TQ, Green is Boost.

The fuel system is right on the edge at .85 lambda I am working with the FPCM tuning and making some gains there to help but I feel this is the limit of this LT4 fuel system with the stock cam on E-50.

Open for discussion.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #68
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
As always thank you for sharing this information with everyone and taking the time to test these things out its a big help for alot of people in here with fueling questions like myself.

Being that your working on the FCPM to make some gains in fueling im assuming it's the low side thats giving up at this point? How was rail pressure in relation?

What was the difference in timing values between the 2 fuels? Its amazing that theres a full 2lb of boost advantage with the E50.

I realize theres some science behind the answer to the following question. Where do you think the hard limits would be at on a Procharger setup with this exact full fuel system on E50? I realize the blower will consume more fuel to drive it vs this turbo setup and no 2 cars are the same. Id like to know if you still feel 600whp is an attainable figure on full strength E from a pump (usually around 75% here locally in the summer).
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #69
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
As always thank you for sharing this information with everyone and taking the time to test these things out its a big help for alot of people in here with fueling questions like myself.

Being that your working on the FCPM to make some gains in fueling im assuming it's the low side thats giving up at this point? How was rail pressure in relation?

What was the difference in timing values between the 2 fuels? Its amazing that theres a full 2lb of boost advantage with the E50.

I realize theres some science behind the answer to the following question. Where do you think the hard limits would be at on a Procharger setup with this exact full fuel system on E50? I realize the blower will consume more fuel to drive it vs this turbo setup and no 2 cars are the same. Id like to know if you still feel 600whp is an attainable figure on full strength E from a pump (usually around 75% here locally in the summer).
No it is all 3, Injector pulse is in the high 5s, High side drops a few hundred PSI, and Low side drops about 16 psi.

If I could get the boost down to 5 psi I think we could run full E-85.

Our decision is to put the car back on 9 psi and back on pump gas leaving the sensor in place so it always know the actual alcohol content and will run at optimum.

About 3 degrees more on E-50

I am sorry I am not going to speculate without actually testing it myself.

Thank you for your questions, Ted.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #70
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Serious beast for sure, can't wait to see it at 12 lbs or so. Nice job Ted and good to talk to you this morning.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote