Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Any update on your build is coming along?
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
jeffm4688

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
Any update on your build is coming along?
My motors built and in, after a few small hiccups I've put about 450 miles on the car so far. Of course we just got some snow today as I'm in the NE so this sets me back a couple of days but dyno time to finish tune is scheduled for Wednesday of this coming week.
2018 M2 Exec - Current
jeffm4688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #17
misterjaayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm4688 View Post
My motors built and in, after a few small hiccups I've put about 450 miles on the car so far. Of course we just got some snow today as I'm in the NE so this sets me back a couple of days but dyno time to finish tune is scheduled for Wednesday of this coming week.
Awesome. Anxious to hear how she rides and to see the power numbers. I too am considering upgrading some internals.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Jeff just realized your a fellow Long Islander where are you on the Island? Im also interested in what your fueling setup is.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #19
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Every time I see something like this, it completely makes me second guess boosting this vehicle--especially considering that I only want the LT4 blower.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #20
misterjaayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Every time I see something like this, it completely makes me second guess boosting this vehicle--especially considering that I only want the LT4 blower.
It could happen with any blower. I think the three main takeaways before boosting is to do three things. Have catch can installed day one that vents the crankcase, don’t do long pulls (over a quarter mile) unless you have supporting internal work done, and have an excellent tune.

Some stock pistons are going to fail mostly due to ring gap regardless of what you do, but the vast majority of people will be just fine. That’s why most blower companies can offer a warranty of their products.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #21
jeffm4688

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Jeff just realized your a fellow Long Islander where are you on the Island? Im also interested in what your fueling setup is.
I'm in manorville, car is tucked away in the garage for the snow we're about to get. Was scheduled for dyno on wednesday but it'll have to be next week.

I basically have the LT4 fuel system, so LT4 HPFP, low pressure fuel pump and injectors.
2018 M2 Exec - Current
Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #22
jeffm4688

Quote:
It could happen with any blower. I think the three main takeaways before boosting is to do three things. Have catch can installed day one that vents the crankcase, don’t do long pulls (over a quarter mile) unless you have supporting internal work done, and have an excellent tune.

Some stock pistons are going to fail mostly due to ring gap regardless of what you do, but the vast majority of people will be just fine. That’s why most blower companies can offer a warranty of their products.
Well, to be fair I was one of the first people to run the ADM kit not installed by ADM as far as I know, and I did have a reputable tuner tune the vehicle.

My downfalls were running around 610-620rwhp on the stock fuel system, sure this is where the tuner felt confident but he had never tuned this specific setup before. I was also running the 2.6 pulley on the blower, vs the 2.7/2.75 it normally comes with. I assume this would of kept me in safer territory.

I didn't install a catch can initially, and I should of. And of course, the rings blew at the top end of a pull going ~160 with basically no fuel in the car(less than 1/8 of a tank). Apparently I didn't realize at the time I had pretty much everything stacked against me.

I knew from the beginning that I wanted to do pistons, I would still do things differently if I had to start from scratch again. I've done basic wrenching on my own cars before like oil/brakes/whatever but pulling the motor on my own and handling all this was one hell of a learning experience.
2018 M2 Exec - Current
Old 03-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #23
misterjaayy

Quote:
Well, to be fair I was one of the first people to run the ADM kit not installed by ADM as far as I know, and I did have a reputable tuner tune the vehicle.

My downfalls were running around 610-620rwhp on the stock fuel system, sure this is where the tuner felt confident but he had never tuned this specific setup before. I was also running the 2.6 pulley on the blower, vs the 2.7/2.75 it normally comes with. I assume this would of kept me in safer territory.

I didn't install a catch can initially, and I should of. And of course, the rings blew at the top end of a pull going ~160 with basically no fuel in the car(less than 1/8 of a tank). Apparently I didn't realize at the time I had pretty much everything stacked against me.

I knew from the beginning that I wanted to do pistons, I would still do things differently if I had to start from scratch again. I've done basic wrenching on my own cars before like oil/brakes/whatever but pulling the motor on my own and handling all this was one hell of a learning experience.
Absolutely bud. It wasn’t a knock on you at all. It’s a learning experience with these newer LT1 engines and forced induction. Hindsight is always 20/20. I have learned a ton from your thread and from others who have had the same unfortunate issues. It gave me insight into the weakness of these engines and it gave me a game plan on how I’m going to mod going forward.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #24
jeffm4688

Quote:
Absolutely bud. It wasn’t a knock on you at all. It’s a learning experience with these newer LT1 engines and forced induction. Hindsight is always 20/20. I have learned a ton from your thread and from others who have had the same unfortunate issues. It gave me insight into the weakness of these engines and it gave me a game plan on how I’m going to mod going forward.
Oh I didn't see it that way, I have the same thought process though. I would tell anyone looking for more power to go for it if that's what you want just make sure to build enough for what you want. I didn't realize all the mistakes I made in the beginning when I decided to slap a supercharger on.
2018 M2 Exec - Current
Old 03-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #25
boostednut

Drives: Nothing cool atm
Quote:
I've done basic wrenching on my own cars before like oil/brakes/whatever but pulling the motor on my own and handling all this was one hell of a learning experience.
Yeah your first engine build is a doozey for sure. Pretty stressful, but you learn so much about yourself and engines and everything. Really valuable, really special experience in my eyes. Welcome to the club
boostednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #26
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:

I don't know if I would knock the stock fuel system at that power level. Do you data log by any chance, or know what your lambda was at it's lowest on that long pull? Typically, if a piston fails due to detonation or low fuel levels you see cracks all across the top of the piston. If it's due to pressure you see it break around the ring areas.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote