Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #113
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Yes,
you have Chris and Doug from East Coast Superchargers right around the corner from you at exit 7A in the NJ turnpike
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #114
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaSS View Post
is that all you did was give it a good tune??
All it has is headers & catless full exhaust, intake, tunes and that's it. Nothing big. The tunes made a big difference in the car

Phil at Tampa Tuning above tuned it.

Even prior to the tunes i could easily burn off the tires though. Ask Phil what my tires looked like when he tuned it. They were basically slicks lol.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #115
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
All it has is headers & catless full exhaust, intake, tunes and that's it. Nothing big. The tunes made a big difference in the car

Even prior to the tunes i could easily burn off the tires though. Ask Phil what my tires looked like when he tuned it. They were basically slicks lol.
well i just dropped it off for the gears.. i will tune it also... might as well go all in..
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #116
KahunaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post

was that prior to the headers and the catless exhaust.. I'm thinking my cats are going bad. the dealer said they knock a little and need to get worse for them to replace them.. (DONT ASK ME WHY) i know a cat can be bad and not throw a code..
Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #117
KahunaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
There is a crush sleeve to set the pinion depth. Install kits contain everything they could need, gasket, seals, shims, etc. Gear lube is separate, but they know that.
if a shop trys to use the old crush sleeve would that strip or mess up the ring and pinion??
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #118
KahunaSS

Quote:
Not necessarily. I'm sure they will check the gear mesh.
let me ask you another question since you seem to be dead on with your answers.. when i dropped my car off i told the shop owner to order the kit for the 3.73 gears... he said i wouldn't need it since the car has low miles and everything should be still like new.. i told him i don't care order it.. he said don't worry if anything needs replacing he would do it.. My bro in law is a race motor head,, he does all his own work from motor swaps to rears.. he buys a roller and does the entire car.. he rarely has time for any of my work so i don't bother him.. he told me that the shop should have bought the kit with the ring and pinion.. the shop called me about the crush sleeve but didn't say anything about he shims... can they use the old shims or should i make them buy the kit? its really starting to piss me off. i take it to a reputable shop and they wanna cut corners thinking that saving me money is going to make me happy... my car running great is what is going to make me happy...:
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #119
KahunaSS

Quote:
Who knows? If they work on these differentials they may have shims and other parts from kits they have used. Sometimes they need the shims, sometimes some of the shims, sometimes none of the shims. Shims don't wear out.

When I was working construction we used to order hardware (shims, bolts, anchors, etc.) by the hundreds. You don't show up to install a turnstile without all the parts you may need.

If there is no whine and no leaks when they are done I would be happy!

Remember you need to break in the gears before you really start to hit it. I think it's 500 miles, but ask them to be sure.

I can already imagine the grin you are going to have when you pick your Camaro up!

you don't know how happy i will be! i have my flow master in the back of my expedition and everything is ready to roll.. i just am pissed that i told them just to order the kit since they ordered the ring and pinion and he said n"noooo" you don't need it..... then my bro in law said i do,,, but my bro in law is into old school chevelles and gto's camaro's and nova's.. he has one of each.. 2 are for the track and 1 is completely original and 1 he restored from a beat ass roller... i really appreciate all ur advice.. i don't want to go into the shop on beast mode telling these guys off.. i want to be as cool as possible.. if the say they do them all the time i gotta take them at there word,, I'm oona pray
Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #120
KahunaSS

Quote:
Who knows? If they work on these differentials they may have shims and other parts from kits they have used. Sometimes they need the shims, sometimes some of the shims, sometimes none of the shims. Shims don't wear out.

When I was working construction we used to order hardware (shims, bolts, anchors, etc.) by the hundreds. You don't show up to install a turnstile without all the parts you may need.

If there is no whine and no leaks when they are done I would be happy!

Remember you need to break in the gears before you really start to hit it. I think it's 500 miles, but ask them to be sure.

I can already imagine the grin you are going to have when you pick your Camaro up!
just got my car back and the car sounds good,,, i hit 60mph by 2nd gear,, actually speedometer says 61 just as I'm hitting second gear but i haven't recalibrated the speedometer yet... so I'm figuring 63 before 2nd ( i think) ... still when i take off at a stand still the tires don't make a peep.. the car moves though.. my bro in law said your tires don't have to squeal if they are spinning.. i thought it did... when i make a sharp right or left a hit the gas a smoked up my parking lot pretty good.. that was before the 3.73.. i guess i will see what the car does when i install my vmax tb ( on its way) .....and maybe a 3200 tq...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #121
JM20

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Did you tune it yet? I wouldn't beat on the new gears until they've been broken in. (Unless you're already doing this). The tune with the A6 makes a world of difference! Also I spin without the screech sound on a warm summer day.
JM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #122
KahunaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM20 View Post
Did you tune it yet? I wouldn't beat on the new gears until they've been broken in. (Unless you're already doing this). The tune with the A6 makes a world of difference! Also I spin without the screech sound on a warm summer day.
i just noticed this today.. i admit I'm dumb ass... i always connect the screech sound to a front wheel drive manual or a rear wheel drive truck. but the trucks are much lighter in the back... i don't know why little stick shift hondas make so much noise when the take off,, probably the crappy tires.,,lol.. i haven't tuned it yet because i want to keep the warranty on the motor ( at least) my buddy at the dealer says if the rear goes I'm on my own..but he will honor the motor and trans..i wish i could just get a new motor dropped .. i know the previous owner beat the piss out of it before he had to give it up.. (i know him he couldn't afford it) . he is 22 years old and he dropped about 30,000 on the car before he had to turn it in..or should say he traded it in for something even up.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 AM   #123
KahunaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM20 View Post
if you tune the car can it be tuned back to stock without the dealer knowing?? The only things i did to the Camaro are CAI I Cut The Mufflers Out and welded straight pipes .. I left the cats and res... I also have a Vmax Ported TB coming in and the 3.73 rears.. I guess I'm getting there little by little,,
Old 07-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #124
KahunaSS

Quote:
You are hitting 60 at the end of 2nd going into third. First is going to top at 35 MPH. Look back at the charts I posted.

My P-Zeros don't scream but I feel the ass swinging back and forth.

Your speedometer is now reading slow. You will be going 35 when it reads 40. Your odometer will be adding more miles than you are actually accruing. On the bright side you can now drive over the limit according to your speedometer and actually be at the speed limit!

The ECM for the V8 has a counter. If it is higher than 1 it has been changed. If you only do a speedometer change and don't change it back I am sure the pros at GM can see that. But we can't control their decisions.

If you go all out and decrease torque control and bump up the shift speeds that will probably blow your whole powertrain warranty. The car is designed and built to specifications that won't destroy the engine/transmission/differential, etc.

A 3200 stall will definitely blow your warranty. But it will perk up the hairs on the back of your neck!
Thanks .. Im actually off/under by 7 mph.. i used my GPS to check my speed ( I'm not as dumb as my letters look.. (hahha) .. it dead accurate in my wifes car. I guess nest time somebody needs to check their speed they can do what i did,,, also there is a "whats my speed APP" so u don't need the gps just your phone...i figured the 3200 would blow it all...so those those mail order tunes are bullshit,, the ones that say it would bring your car back to stock so the dealer won't be able to tell.. also i am said to report my flow masters did not fit.. i have a body kit on the car that came from gm and it throws of the alignment on the damn muffler. but on the upside i just put to straight backs and it sounds great. not too loud and not too quite.. just enough to give it a nice growl. i saved myself 400 bucks,, thats good enough for me!! Thanks again for all your info!! any more tips so i can boost HP without voiding the rest of my warranty would be much appreciated,,
Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #125
KahunaSS

Quote:
Opps, I screwed up. Your speedo is reading fast, not slow. By 13.8%.

When you are going 100 it says 114, 50 = 57, etc.

You can use your trip odometer to compare to the mileage markers on a highway. 10 miles should read 11.3.

It bothers me that you think you are going 60 in first. Does your car start in 2nd? Have you tried putting it in M and downshifting to 1st?
i didn't compensate for the 7 mph when i first test drove the car. i have to get my speedometer adjusted.. But when you say take off in second i don't feel like the car takes off in second gear,, ever,, i put it in D and M and it feels the same... Should i use the shifters and drop it into 1 manually?? or just put in in M .. Why would they car start off in second gear? when i hit the gas the car moves... i can't see that being second gear... i never use the shifters when i M. i always just put it in M and the car shifts itself if i don't hit the paddles.... should i use the paddles for faster take off???
Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #126
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaSS View Post
i didn't compensate for the 7 mph when i first test drove the car. i have to get my speedometer adjusted.. But when you say take off in second i don't feel like the car takes off in second gear,, ever,, i put it in D and M and it feels the same... Should i use the shifters and drop it into 1 manually?? or just put in in M .. Why would they car start off in second gear? when i hit the gas the car moves... i can't see that being second gear... i never use the shifters when i M. i always just put it in M and the car shifts itself if i don't hit the paddles.... should i use the paddles for faster take off???
I think you need to downshift manually with the paddles
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrong subforum