Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
jwcassidy1969

Drives: 2018 red hot 1le
Tune issue or mechanical?

I have been trying to diagnose a problem with my 18 1le for a couple of weeks and no luck. I have the Vortech V3 tuner kit and for some reason the car has a very irregular problem to where I hear the bypass valve let out boost on acceleration and then no boost like either the car is making vacuum before I shift or throttle closes and car goes to vacuum. It seems to happen only at moderate throttle in second gear at 3-3500 rpm. If I go wide open throttle it never hesitates pulls hard 1st through 5th. I have checked bypass and it’s adjusted and working properly and switched out throttle body in case it was weak and still does it. I am wondering if car is pulling vacuum while driving and needs it’s own vacuum separate from Vortechs install instructions or if there is something in a setting my tuner has missed. Any input would be awesome I got this kit installed because I wanted to enjoy the extra power but if I would have known it would be like this I would have left it alone.
jwcassidy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
I don't know from sure what your problem is without seeing it myself but from what your describing it sounds more like a timing issue. The computer regulates timing more towards the tune then it does at wot, meaning the when you do a slow but hard pull the computer uses the set values for timing vs when you do a wot it goes into open loop and basically is runs at whatever the tuner has it set for it. I think the engine is sensing a knock and basically setting the timing back and letting the boost go to reduce engine damage. If your tuner only did wot tuning that is were this problem is stemming from because the the lt1 doesn't like too much timing especially with 11.5:1 compression. Just my thoughts.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcassidy1969 View Post
I have been trying to diagnose a problem with my 18 1le for a couple of weeks and no luck. I have the Vortech V3 tuner kit and for some reason the car has a very irregular problem to where I hear the bypass valve let out boost on acceleration and then no boost like either the car is making vacuum before I shift or throttle closes and car goes to vacuum. It seems to happen only at moderate throttle in second gear at 3-3500 rpm. If I go wide open throttle it never hesitates pulls hard 1st through 5th. I have checked bypass and it’s adjusted and working properly and switched out throttle body in case it was weak and still does it. I am wondering if car is pulling vacuum while driving and needs it’s own vacuum separate from Vortechs install instructions or if there is something in a setting my tuner has missed. Any input would be awesome I got this kit installed because I wanted to enjoy the extra power but if I would have known it would be like this I would have left it alone.
These engines make around 25 inches of vacuum at Idle, as you tip in and put more load on the engine it moves toward 0 inches vacuum, at about 1.5 inches your bypass closes allowing boost to build.

This is strictly the mechanics of how this works and no tuning will affect this operation.

It is a result of throttle movement, load and RPM, if you had a vacuum gauge to watch you would know exactly when to expect the bypass to close or open.

If you are not happy with your tuning I can help you via a remote tune and HPtuners hardware.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
jwcassidy1969

Thanks for the input but my tuner is well known here but the car was done at a bad time with tx2k happening and he was getting like no sleep and maybe missed something because of it. I paid a lot of money and he said he will make it right. I spent a lot of time data logging it the other day at his shop and it was a cold day and very hard to duplicate the problem. On a warm day it does it almost everytime. It happpens like one or two times out of 10 light to moderate take offs. It’s almost like throttle has to be in the exact spot to make it happen. Is there a setting in the tune for pedal sensitivity? I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
jwcassidy1969

One more question something in the kit is vibrating like the body hitting the metal piping could that vibration happen and that’s why it does it randomly? I was wondering about that the whole time because echoing through the intake may pick up knock.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
jwcassidy1969

I took a look and got any tubing that was rubbing on anything and it seems to have fixed the issue so far. I guess the metal tubing hitting on the upper radiator hose clamp and 6 inches lower on the radiator was causing a vibration and picking it up on the knock sensors. Here’s hoping it’s good now.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
jwcassidy1969

Exclamation Help one more look please

Well I have fixed all rattles and it’s not what’s going on. I have the throttle blade closing on occasion and I guess it has something to do with the low speed tuning when the car senses to much air. I have noticed a surge while driving between 1500-2000 rpm and possibly it’s the throttle body fluttering or something. It only does it when the stars line up like every 10 take offs. Really frustrating. I will have to take it back to the tuner and hopefully he is well rested and can duplicate the problem. It’s happened enough in the last 2 weeks to leave a crease in the rubber intake boot from closing off in the middle of throttle. Does anyone know at what part of the tune this would be able to be diagnosed if I can’t duplicate it right away?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
If the throttle plate is closing like you are describing it sounds like it could be some kind of confusion in the computer between the MAF sensor and the MAP sensor. I would check the wires and connectors on the sensors because when they had them off they could have pinched a wire or the spades inside the connectors might not be making a good connection which is why the problem is intermittent or at a certain insistent. It could be connections or the tune but only time will tell. I hope you get it fixed because it should be a lot of fun with boost not a headache.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
jwcassidy1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
If the throttle plate is closing like you are describing it sounds like it could be some kind of confusion in the computer between the MAF sensor and the MAP sensor. I would check the wires and connectors on the sensors because when they had them off they could have pinched a wire or the spades inside the connectors might not be making a good connection which is why the problem is intermittent or at a certain insistent. It could be connections or the tune but only time will tell. I hope you get it fixed because it should be a lot of fun with boost not a headache.
Thanks for the reply took it back to the tuner today and am hoping he will get it lined out. When the kit was first installed the MAF extension harness pins were coming out and had to be repinned. I think he just didn’t take the time to redo the tune and took for granted it was done correctly. I told him I don’t want it back till it’s right or he can take it back off.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
jwcassidy1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
Shouldn’t the car run like stock with no surging at all below 4000 rpm? Wouldn’t I get a check engine light like I did when I found the MAF harness problem? I have a surging in every gear between 1500-2000 rpm probably due to TPS sensor adjustment out which will probably correct the other issue also. I just hope he can figure it out it stresses me out.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
jwcassidy1969

Figured out the problem

Took the car to the tuner and he was able to duplicate the issue twice on a data log. He got with some colleagues and one of them had the same issue and noticed the problem right away from the data. The mass air needs to be moved from the Intercooler back top to the inlet pipe before the throttle body. I guess it’s to far away and doesn’t process the airflow properly or something. So if you get the Vortech V3 kit you may have to make adjustments to the kit until it’s revised.