Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #15
draph

Drives: AcuraTL SH-AWD 6MT and '70 'vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2DEMON View Post
To an extent, I agree. It's an old, heavy platform that doesn't handle or drive as well as the Mustang or Camaro. It's a throwback o the muscle car era when a car only needed to go in a straight line.

But, somehow, they're selling a ton of them. This in spite of the fact that the Challenger itself is over 10 years old without a major update, based on a platform that goes back nearly 20 years.

I don't get it, but they've found a market for it.
Go test drive one and you will see the appeal. If you want bragging rights, or an advantage at track events, the Camaro wins the domestic pony car battle hands down...If you want your fun car as a daily driver 1st, a comfortable, yet cool sounding, possibly hilarious (drive one with the shaker hood scoop - it makes you laugh), has the best infotainment interface (Uconnect) and quiets down at cruising speed, it's hard to go wrong with the Challenger.... Another funny thing - the way the reviews read in the comparison tests, you go into the test drive thinking the waves are going to splash over the bow like a 1970s Buick, which makes the real-life handling a pleasant surprise, particularly with the Bilstein adaptive suspension with the 6 piston brembos with slotted rotors...It's big and heavy, but far from boatlike.

All three have their appeal - which is why I've been dithering now for two years...Currently lean toward 2018 Mustang refresh, although refreshed pricing loses best value war with Camaro...so maybe 2019 Camaro refresh will win me back, especially if Chevy holds to their current pricing strategy...I'd be in a Challenger if I could get $8000 off MSRP of an SRT 392. Otherwise, it feels overpriced for what you get compared to the fresher designs of the other two.
draph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #16
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Lurking over on the Challengertalk forums, I've read some downright disturbing issues with those cars that would cause anyone in the market for one to think twice. I'm not saying the Camaro is perfect, it's got its problems, but no where near what I've read there.

I'm not going to post links, anyone interested should check out the problem section.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
flaps100

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 RS
Moron

Chevy does need to get with it, they need to offer Camaro as well as other cars in more colors. How many silver gray black and white do we need.

Lets see some metallic browns and some sort of not crazy orange orange,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfive View Post
You lost all credibility when you said fiat builds an awesome car
F ix
I t
A gain
T ony
flaps100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #18
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Lurking over on the Challengertalk forums, I've read some downright disturbing issues with those cars that would cause anyone in the market for one to think twice. I'm not saying the Camaro is perfect, it's got its problems, but no where near what I've read there.

I'm not going to post links, anyone interested should check out the problem section.
You should probably read the problem section here along with the one on C5 as well.

Its pretty scary too.

And really, they Mustang ones arent much better.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #19
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You should probably read the problem section here along with the one on C5 as well.

Its pretty scary too.

And really, they Mustang ones arent much better.
Haven't checked the C5 forums, but spent a lot of time on the Camaro and Mustang's. The Camaro had the least 'serious' issues of the three IMO. Sure there is the A8 vibration issue, and the braking issue in the early models which sounds worse than actually is on closer inspection. But I have yet to read of someone paddle shifting up only to have the car shift down, like many guys with the Challenger are having. That is definitely a WTF problem. And so far there is no definite fix that I've seen posted. Also, lots of engine/tranny issues and other components failing early in the life of the car.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #20
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Haven't checked the C5 forums, but spent a lot of time on the Camaro and Mustang's. The Camaro had the least 'serious' issues of the three IMO. Sure there is the A8 vibration issue, and the braking issue in the early models which sounds worse than actually is on closer inspection. But I have yet to read of someone paddle shifting up only to have the car shift down, like many guys with the Challenger are having. That is definitely a WTF problem. And so far there is no definite fix that I've seen posted. Also, lots of engine/tranny issues and other components failing early in the life of the car.
You havent read this fourm's problem section close enough either. Ive read about motor failures, transmission and rear end issues here too. My father-in-law's 2017 has been nothing but problems.

Like I said, I've had them all over many years. I cant say one brand out of the three is any better other than Chevy HD trucks and express cut a way vans. Ive had much better luck with them over Ford trucks and Vans.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #21
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
Yeah chevy why the hell cant you add more colors with funky names and dont change the overall look of the car thats basically the same design as the car that came out 10+ years ago
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I do think it would be cool for them to offer some bold colors like the Challenger does
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #23
GelflingEssence
Banned

Drives: 2016 Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2DEMON View Post
To an extent, I agree. It's an old, heavy platform that doesn't handle or drive as well as the Mustang or Camaro. It's a throwback o the muscle car era when a car only needed to go in a straight line.

But, somehow, they're selling a ton of them. This in spite of the fact that the Challenger itself is over 10 years old without a major update, based on a platform that goes back nearly 20 years.

I don't get it, but they've found a market for it.
It's pretty simple.

The Challenger is the only unabashed-go-fast muscle car left. Yes Mustangs and Camaros are amazing machines and debatably better than Challengers but they aren't muscle cars anymore. I fancy myself a bowtie man. I was sad at the demise of the Camaro and elated with its rebirth. My first car was a '66 Chevelle, my 2nd car was a '70 Chevelle built to the nuts (6-71 blown 383 stroker). When I recently bought a new car I chose the Challenger over the Camaro because I wanted a true muscle car (and I loathe both Dodge and Fiat).

I have to admit that Fiat has done an amazing job marketing the Challenger. Not only are they digging into their roots for inspiration they are adding to the history and pedigree with exciting trim levels (Hellcat, Demon, etc).

On the other hand Chevrolet has to have the worst marketing department on Earth. For years they claimed that their vehicles were literally like rocks. Today they annoy both customers and potential customers alike with boring commercials that tout shiny awards. They took a trim level and made it into its own model. How confusing is that? Then instead of giving their supercar a proper marketable name they give it an unpronounceable string of characters.
GelflingEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GelflingEssence View Post
On the other hand Chevrolet has to have the worst marketing department on Earth. For years they claimed that their vehicles were literally like rocks. Today they annoy both customers and potential customers alike with boring commercials that tout shiny awards. They took a trim level and made it into its own model. How confusing is that? Then instead of giving their supercar a proper marketable name they give it an unpronounceable string of characters.
This is so true. I'm pretty familiar with the various Camaro options but still for the life of me can't figure out differences between the generically named LS or LT models or which one has the I4 versus the V6. Why not just use descriptive names like Camaro V6 or Camaro Turbo. Why not use something like Performance Package or Track Package rather than a forgettable code name like 1LE.

And don't get me started on the Build & Price feature on their website.

Or the idiotic "Is this an Audi/BMW mix or Chevy Malibu?!" commercials.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #25
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebernard View Post
That’s why god invented wraps. FCA is simply putting lipstick on a pig...,
Everybody mocks FCA but the Challenger is selling.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #26
torqueaddict

I've said it before, the Camaro's target market are enthusiasts. If they want to appeal to a greater segment, they either have to work on the practicality aspect or the price, or both. The practicality part will require a major redesign and I don't see that happening soon. Lowering the price by offering stripped down models is more realistic today. And I believe that's where they're going. Maybe then they can offer the pretty colors for the kiddies.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #27
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelflingEssence View Post
It's pretty simple.

The Challenger is the only unabashed-go-fast muscle car left. Yes Mustangs and Camaros are amazing machines and debatably better than Challengers but they aren't muscle cars anymore. I fancy myself a bowtie man. I was sad at the demise of the Camaro and elated with its rebirth. My first car was a '66 Chevelle, my 2nd car was a '70 Chevelle built to the nuts (6-71 blown 383 stroker). When I recently bought a new car I chose the Challenger over the Camaro because I wanted a true muscle car (and I loathe both Dodge and Fiat).

I have to admit that Fiat has done an amazing job marketing the Challenger. Not only are they digging into their roots for inspiration they are adding to the history and pedigree with exciting trim levels (Hellcat, Demon, etc).

The other thing that drives me nuts is reusing the same motor designations over and over for completly different motors. LT1(three times), LT4 , LT5, L99,L98,LS6,LS7. Sure makes it fun trying to talk to an oldtimer about GM cars and motors. Lol
Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #28
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Agreed. And the "ZR1", "ZL1", "1LE", etc. 99% of the people have no clue what they mean. "Hellcat" is easier to remember for the general public than some random letter and number combo. I can't even tell you how many sellers/owners of these cars put the wrong RPO, engine, or trim level in their ads online, they don't even know what they own.
Haha, that's true. The smartest thing Chrysler as a company ever did was coming up with catchy names, cool themes and just down right some of the most badass looking cars to ever be on a street. Most of the people running down the Challenger never even sat in one. They just jump on the bangwagon of the media. GM had that same feel with Pontiac and they closed it down. When Ponitac was open, I never bought the Chevrolet version if they had it in a Pontiac version. I miss Trans Ams deeply. They were just so much more than their Chevrolet cousin.

I love this Gen6 Camaro. Its the best Camaro ever, but could you image what it would be if Pontiac was making a Trans Am version?
Edit: oh, and i know some aftermarket company makes a trans am. Sorry not the same thing.