Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #141
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Lots of potential even with the 4 cylinder turbo. Pfadt has some nice packages for the ATS. Its just a matter of time another tuner offers the same package.

Below infos of another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ATS- View Post
Hey everyone,

I just installed a Pfadt P50 upgrade from Pfadt Racing, its a Pfadt turbo kit.

I bought a tune before from another vender, and although it was the tune at the time to buy, what I wanted for power output no tune could give me.

Coming from a C5 corvette with a heads and cam package, anything else just felt slow.

But when you have a family and a real job that wants to see you in a suit and tie every day of the week, my beloved corvette just did not have enough door or seats, and I wanted something that still handles well but is still fast enough, so I bought my ATS.

Driving an ATS turbo with a tune did feel quite zippy, but really something double and triple power is what I wanted and still comfortable.

The Pfadt Racing P50 upgrade:

It sounds like something AMG would build for Cadillac, and indeed it does impress; the upgrade package includes a turbocharger upgrade, complete with all piping and so on. The install took me about eight hours or so in my driveway, with mostly basic hand tools and a jack, and taking the front bumper off really took up far more time than it needed. I also bought a Pfadt intercooler to go along with the upgraded turbo kit.

When I ordered the P50 package from Pfadt, the Pfadt guys were pretty nice to deal with and definitely very professional and really know what they're talking about.

Their fastest ATS in the world video kinda helped sell me the kit too.

Coming from the corvette world I've seen their suspension pieces and their headers which are a ****ing work of art down to the last detail. That and their Made in the USA commitment speaks to me as well. /offtopic

I would like to state for the record that had what I received was even the slightest bit wrong, I'm the type of person to bash them into the ****ing ground and I will keep it up. But what was inside the box that Tim the UPS guy dropped off on my porch really impressed me in fit and finish, and after spending five hours in my driveway and a cold 12 pack its done and I really like what I saw as the what Pfadt had sent me.

Here's a video showing the dyno and the dyno graph is here as well.

The car was run on the dyno strapped down and two back to back runs were done and then off it went.

Air temps were 103F in the dyno room and those *****s did not wanna turn on the AC for some reason, or they had no AC, don't know.

Car was completely stock before installing the P50 upgrade and it has an auto slushbox so the wife can drive the car too. I uninstalled the other tune prior to doing the install bacause I did not want problems from the dealer when I went in the week before so I could get service bulletin 13198 done for my AC.

Peak HP output was about 440 WHP which ain't bad but definitely could be better. Stock dynod at around 220 WHP which means I about doubled the power, and this was done on pump gas. A/F was dead even at 11.3:1 on every run, from a wideband with wires run into the car.

I don't know about anyone else, but vs tune only this is a world apart of difference, and lets just say that "on a private closed road wait I meant airport runway in mexico",

I smoked an E92 M3 and an E60 M5 was dead even with me until we had to back off because of ahem moving obstructions on the cough runway.

crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #142
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
The things people, and a Federal regulations are demanding cars being built in the future are adding weight each generation. Unless GM goes down the road of using lighter/exotic materials, I would expect there to be a big weight difference between the 5th and 6th generations. If there is, it's likely to cost the consumer more to get it.
I was going to respond to this, but LOWDOWN covered it perfectly above. Gen 6 will most definitely NOT gain weight simply because it is going on Alpha, and if it shrinks in size (like some sources suggest) it could lose a fairly significan't amount of weight.

The Cadillac CTS went up in size, but yet lost weight when you compare N/A V6 trims because of the move to Alpha. That includes all the new regulations you speak of applied to the new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
That of course is the magic of turbos. When you aren't using them you generally have the same FE as a NA engine with the same displacement.

Now, let's hear more details about the LGX. Is it going to have cylinder deactivation? Will it really be 3.6L? Any changes to the heads? There seems to be very little information available on this engine if they already have test mules using it.
Yes...I want know know more on this engine, but there is nothing out there!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #143
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangie View Post
Lots of potential even with the 4 cylinder turbo. Pfadt has some nice packages for the ATS. Its just a matter of time another tuner offers the same package.

Below infos of another forum.
Definitely huge potential there, especially if the owner is willing to do a larger turbo and plumbing like the guy in your example did.

The stock turbo is small and meant to spool up and run out of steam very early in the rpm to maximize low end torque. The turbo he installed moved peak power to the high rpm range. I'm betting he introduced some turbo lag as well, but it pulls like a friggin banshee on the top end.

Even with only a tune, you can expect decent HP gains, but huge TQ gains. But thats just in the low end of the rpms
Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #144
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Its kinda funny thinking about US muscle guys talking like ricers..

"I bet my I4 can take on your V8"

crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #145
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
I'd go for the GM 4cyl. 1450hp is no joke out of the old Ecotecs. With 1/2 the parts to buy compared to a giant v8! (except it has 3 injectors per cylinder...)

Or just buy the Eco Drag motor...
Engine Type: Inline 4-cylinder
Displacement: 2.16 Liters
Bore x Stroke: 89mm x 89 mm (destroked for high RPM operation) Valves/cylinder: 4
Balance Shafts: Removed for high RPM operation
Block: Aluminum (lost foam cast) with steel cylinder liners
Head: Aluminum (sand cast) with custom race porting
Crankshaft: 3.505” Billet Steel
Rods: Manley I-beam, 300M material
Pistons: JE aluminum with 22mm PPP Pins
Compression: 10.8:1
Camshafts: Comp Cams billet custom ground, with roller finger followers
Induction: Borg Warner S400 Turbocharger w/ air to water intercooler
Ignition: Capacitive discharge by MSD
Fuel Delivery: 3 injectors per cylinder with FAST XFI controller
Fuel: Methanol
Lubrication: Dry sump
Exhaust: 4 into 1, custom bent
Horsepower: 1450hp @ 9200rpm
Torque: 940 lb-ft @ 7700rpm
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #146
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
I find it funny many of yall are screaming bloody murder there is a 4cylinder because that doesnt sound " FAST " who cares. Its great for Cafe and for gas mileage. let the 4 Cylinder take care of the Cafe gas issues and be thankful we can still purchase a V8.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #147
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangie View Post
Its kinda funny thinking about US muscle guys talking like ricers..

"I bet my I4 can take on your V8"
Remind me, again, what was powering John Lingenfelter's Cobalt on his final ride?

Oh yeah...an EcoTech-based "ricer" T-4...

Which was no laughing matter...
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #148
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Cant wait to see the 4cyl vs the 6cyl vs the 8 cyl posts

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #149
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
The fact that the mustang will have a turboed 4cyl is the reason this gen 6 will also have it. I believe that from the beginning the RS package should have included some type of increased power. Even if it was a better suspension and a CAI.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #150
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Hey, now the v6 guys will be able to tell the 4 bangers, "should've got a v6."
Old 06-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #151
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Could have gotten the 1L 3 cylinder, too.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #152
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Just go the Mazda route and put a rotary
Old 06-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #153
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Steam is good.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #154
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
The fact that the mustang will have a turboed 4cyl is the reason this gen 6 will also have it.
I'm not sure it's 'the reason' or not. GM has been moving 4-bangers into a lot of cars, up and down its lineup from Impalas to Cadillacs to pickups. I don't think that the existence of the ecoboost Mustang was necessary for GM to make this decision.

With that said, there's not a doubt in my mind that a turbo-4 Camaro will be constantly compared to the ecoboost Mustang. It matters little if the 4-cyl Mustang is a 'mid-range' trim and the 4-cyl Camaro is a 'base' car. It'll be a no-brainer for ALL of the auto rags to do face-off comparison tests/articles for the two turbo-4 pony cars.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation