Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #127

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Well, spy-shots to availability is what?....a year? 8 months?...more than a year?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #128
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Maybe they will use the small displacement V8 TT rumored to debut on the next hi-perf Vette (Zora). How about 700 plus hp? That would be awesome.
I like the sound of that...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #129
Desert Dweller

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #334
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I still find it odd that the Z28 was made the top dog of 5th gens.

It was at a similar (just different) level as the SS for the first and second gens.
It was below the IROC-Z, and below the SS for the third and forth gens.
Quote:
No need, I owned one for 15 years...
Really??? I find that amusing, that you found the 2 cars so similar. Did the SS you compare your Z/28 to have a 302 in it as well with the 4 speed manual?
Old 03-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #130
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Right, so why didn't it take off and every one sell once it was revealed how truly world class, and world beating, it was?

Answer: Because despite all of that, it's a Camaro, and $75,000 is a lot to spend on any Camaro.
If you build 2000 Z/28's for $75,000 it's a failure because they couldn't sell them all. If you build 500 GT350R's for $63,000 and dealers ADM them to $80+ it's a success because only the wealth can get them? Do I have that right Speed?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 03-22-2016 at 08:38 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #131
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Al O. already mentioned they lost their way after the 1970 model, then regained it for the 5th Gen.
Of course, he is the current head Camaro guy lol...

40 years is a long time to "lose your way".

Personally, unlike others in here, I like all Camaros. I don't care about the higharcy and such. Most in here (not saying you) don't know anything about gen 1 to gen 4.

I've also owned each generation.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #132
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
Really??? I find that amusing, that you found the 2 cars so similar. Did the SS you compare your Z/28 to have a 302 in it as well with the 4 speed manual?
Similar levels as price point/options and where they stood in the line up. I said nothing about performance. The early Z28's weren't nearly as highly regarded as today by the public. The "little" 302 wasn't all that fast in a day when most just cared about straight line speed and big cubes. I loved my '69, it had the rare cross ram and chambered exhaust. Sounded fantastic...still miss it, but sold it during the muscle car boom for a substantial profit.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #133
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Similar levels as price point/options and where they stood in the line up. I said nothing about performance. The early Z28's weren't nearly as highly regarded as today by the public. The "little" 302 wasn't all that fast in a day when most just cared about straight line speed and big cubes. I loved my '69, it had the rare cross ram and chambered exhaust. Sounded fantastic...still miss it, but sold it during the muscle car boom for a substantial profit.
So what you're saying is they weren't that similar at all. The "little" 302 wasn't meant to be a fast straight track car. It was meant to be a high revving torque monster for the autocross track.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #134
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Not for the third or forth gens...

IROC-Z was above Z28.

SS was above the Z28. You actually had to add the SS option package on top of a Z28...
3rdgen and 4thgen was the era of the Z28 as your everyday base V8 performance Camaro with the IROC-Z being the top tier performance model on the Z28. The SS was first SLP built and later GM built option on the base Z28 4thgen model.

Z28 with no slash...

1stgen and 5thgen are the true parallel cars, Z/28 with a slash, made for the road coarse.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #135
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
So what you're saying is they weren't that similar at all. The "little" 302 wasn't meant to be a fast straight track car. It was meant to be a high revving torque monster for the track.
Let me try this again, you seem to be ignoring my point, yet again. The talk was where the cars were lineup wise. Like now it's LT - SS - ZL1, back then it wasn't like that at the top. Base - RS (kinda was it's own thing, not just a trim option like now), then Z28/SS at the same level. Each did it's own thing, and could go either way price wise due to options. A 396/375 M22 car was definitely condidered above a Z28. Just how it was...can't even count COPOS. It's not taking anything away from either. Lineups were very different back then and you order and delete what you wanted.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #136
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
True GM was very proud of the Gen1 Z/28, however they didn't market it at first selling only 602 in 1967. But word had gotten out with the success of the SCCA Z/28 race cars and sales jumped to 20,302 in 1969. Then again the 1/4 mile was still more popular with consumers at that time who didn't quite get "handling" over "horsepower" (track vs drag strip).
Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #137
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just wondering, how can you really test for any aero/spoiler/handling characteristics with all that stupid padding all over the car, especially covering the whole rear and spoiler itself?......Sort of defeats the whole purpose, wouldn't you think?
you can test everything but the aero, which im sure was wind tunnel tested. They already know it works im sure. Soon the padding will be removed and theyll get real world testing. But im sure GM knows what theyre doing.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #138
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
True GM was very proud of the Gen1 Z/28, however they didn't market it at first selling only 602 in 1967. But word had gotten out with the success of the SCCA Z/28 race cars and sales jumped to 20,302 in 1969. Then again the 1/4 mile was still more popular with consumers at that time who didn't quite get "handling" over "horsepower" (track vs drag strip).
'67 wasnt marketed at all...heck, the cars didn't even say Z/28 on them!
Took a LONG time to break Americans straight line only thing. The fuel crisis of the 70's didn't help either.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #139
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
COPO's...427 iron blocks and a total of only 69 ZL1 427 all aluminum engines=Made for the drag racers thru the back door ordering. includes your Yenkos, Burgers, etc.

Trans Am Racing homologation='67-'69 Camaro Z/28 DZ302 5 liter limited for road coarse racing series. Only built to satisfy racing rules for street use.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #140
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Let me try this again, you seem to be ignoring my point, yet again. The talk was where the cars were lineup wise. Like now it's LT - SS - ZL1, back then it wasn't like that at the top. Base - RS (kinda was it's own thing, not just a trim option like now), then Z28/SS at the same level. Each did it's own thing, and could go either way price wise due to options. A 396/375 M22 car was definitely condidered above a Z28. Just how it was...can't even count COPOS. It's not taking anything away from either. Lineups were very different back then and you order and delete what you wanted.
I'm really not ignoring your point. Your original post was kind of vague and obviously subject to any number of interpretations. Then some guy, who is not you, decided he'd jump into the fray and run his mouth on your behalf, putting me in the position of supposedly having to defend my comment to you. Well F that. I made my post to you, I'll wait for you to respond. That doesn't make me a "know it all". I just wanted to speak to you.