Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I wouldn't give up my ZL1 for a ZLE. It's called the "extreme track performance package". I don't track the car so it wouldn't be for me. Some people think the ZL1 isn't somehow very capable because there's a more track focused version with DSSVs, but the ZL1 is extremely capable, with a pretty comfortable ride. The only thing I'd consider if I was in your shoes was upgrading the '19 to a new ZL1 assuming you might want a new color or some other options that yours doesn't currently have.

As others have said, I also wouldn't sell it now then wait for an allocation. Heck, I wouldn't sell it until you actually have the new one. What if it takes 6 months to build after allocation? Then you're without a Camaro ZL1 for quite a long time. Not something I would sign up for.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:10 PM   #16
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satin Steel ZL1 View Post
I am having a tough time coming to a decision I never thought I'd GET to make. Currently due to the high prices of used cars I can sell or trade in my 19 ZL1 for MORE than what I paid for it 3 years ago. I am debating on ordering a ZL1 1LE. in my opinion paying or financing an extra 10 grand on top of my car to upgrade to a brand new car with a new warranty and get what I really wanted but couldn't afford at the time seems like a good deal to me. However, I have some serious sentimental value as it is the first "cool" car I bought new. Also, I am aware that Camaro production is currently halted due to chip shortages and certain options are not avliable anymore either, with the ZL1 1LE orders being punted to 23' due to carbon fiber shortages. My local dealer already has given me an offer on my car they want to roll it into their inventory and give me a credit so when I can order a ZL1 1LE and when that comes I'd only have to pay around 10 or so grand for the car. I don't really know what to do, if used car prices come back down to reality or a recession hits theres no way in hell id be able to swing a ZL1 1LE. Also, with the Camaro going away in 24' If I saved up enough money in the future I couldn't buy a new one. Looking for some advice or help from people who have a lot more worldly experience than me. Thanks for any advice.

TLDR: I can trade in my ZL1 for a 1LE for a small premium but don't know if I should risk it or just be happy with the car I got 3 years ago.
For straight ahead dry surface stuff, I would prefer the ZL1 rather than my 1LE
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #17
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I figure the regular ZL1 would be a little less boring than the ZLE with everyone saying how much more planted the ZLE is with the stiffer suspension? I figured with more rubber and a stiffer suspension it would be harder to take the ZLE to its limits as the limits should be higher than a regular ZL1. The ZLE does look more aggressive, and maybe that's why it's less boring. I figured since I don't intend on tracking the car, and taking it to its limits on the street would be a fool's errand, the ZL1 was enough for me, that and the constraints on the 1LE track package across all trims was enough to keep me from the ZLE.
The limits really aren't higher, with of course the exception of the track of course. Its less boring because you feel the road....the regular ZL1 was more like being in an airplane taking off...you know you're going fast, you just don't feel it as much. I actually disliked the regular ZL1, a lot...I owned it 8 mos and only bothered putting just over 1200 miles on it. I did that in about 2.5 mos in the ZLE lol.
That being said, rides with the DSSV for a daily aren't for everyone; like the Z/28, most people don't prefer the ride on the street with it, its an acquired taste...but its not bad on the road at all imo, I like it.

Former: 2014 Z/28 (red hot); 2017 ZL1 (auto/white); 2015 Z/28 (black); 2016 2SS (auto/hyper blue); 2012 2SS (45th anniversary/auto); 1994 Firehawk (auto/dark green); 2005 GTO (M6/blue on blue); 1999 Camaro SS (M6/pewter); 1994 Z/28 (auto/blue); 1991 Firebird (auto/red); 1988 IROC (auto/copper metallic); 1983 Camaro (auto/blue); 1981 Firebird (auto/maroon/350 Olds swap)....the list goes on...
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #18
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
The ZL1 1LE ride is bumpy for sure but it's overblown in my opinion. I commute with mine quite often and I don't even notice it anymore. As with anything, you'll eventually adapt to it.

NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:08 PM   #19
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
The ZL1 1LE ride is bumpy for sure but it's overblown in my opinion. I commute with mine quite often and I don't even notice it anymore. As with anything, you'll eventually adapt to it.

I agree with your statement.
If you want a Cadillac ride buy a Cadillac.
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:16 PM   #20
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I figure the regular ZL1 would be a little less boring than the ZLE with everyone saying how much more planted the ZLE is with the stiffer suspension? I figured with more rubber and a stiffer suspension it would be harder to take the ZLE to its limits as the limits should be higher than a regular ZL1. The ZLE does look more aggressive, and maybe that's why it's less boring. I figured since I don't intend on tracking the car, and taking it to its limits on the street would be a fool's errand, the ZL1 was enough for me, that and the constraints on the 1LE track package across all trims was enough to keep me from the ZLE.
I cannot comment on the non-1LE ZL1, as I never rode in one ever, but let's just say "boring" never comes to mind when riding my ZLE

As already mentioned above, yes it's well planted, but it communicates pretty much everything from the road, which I assume is what makes it fun to drive for me! Yet at the same time, I can totally see why that wouldn't be some others' cup of tea.

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:25 PM   #21
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post

You know, even though I have never driven or even sat in a ZL1 1LE (only the regular ZL1) I wonder if this "extremely harsh ride" complaint might be another overblown "visibility sucks" type meme... sure, some aren't willing to accept the compromise, but it may not be as extreme as portrayed.

Hopefully I'll find someone nearby who has a ZLE and lets me ride shotgun, just to have some firsthand experience

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #22
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My advice is to get what you want. If it’s a ZLE you really want then go for it. Only you can answer your question.��
Old 04-21-2022, 08:28 PM   #23
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
There is no guarantee you’d actually get a ZLE if you ordered one. Supply chain issues have orders all stacked up. Many people with cars on order may never see them. I’m not sure I’d make the switch, unless you planned to track the car. If you don’t track it, it’s kind of a waste of money.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:40 PM   #24
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
I prefer the ZLE, and I use it as a daily....and I've owned both. Tbh, the regular ZL1 bored the HELL out of me, and I went back to a Z/28. The ZLE rides more like the Z/28 (a bit rougher though)....to me, there's no replacement for the feel of the road the DSSV gives you.
I don't track my ZLE at all either, and never will. Its pretty much just a grocery getter (when I don't need to get a lot, since the storage/cargo space in these is a bit of a joke).
"bored the hell out of me"??? So the extra large fast and furious WANG and the lol "drive planes" blew your skirt up?? I dont get this statement. You are 9.5 out of 10 to a 1LE with the normal ZL1. You just dont get the ricerboy wang on the back.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:55 PM   #25
Satin Steel ZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (M6)
I drive my car VERY hard. Its seen several track days (gone through 2 full sets of tires at only 12K miles) and on most Friday nights I take it to the races. Harsh ride doesn't really scare me at all, I've already driven a used ZLE prior to buying mine in 19. Ride was VERY FIRM but not nearly as bad as everyone said. I simply couldn't find a new ZLE for the right price locally at the time. I don't daily my car. Only drive it on Fridays and the weekend.
Satin Steel ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #26
Satin Steel ZL1

Quote:
I wouldn't sell my car to the dealership unless it's being traded in. You have a car that they'd love to have in their used car lot, and thus should be able to reach out to their regional sales rep and get you an allocation if your car is that appealing to them. Use it as leverage to make sure they can get your order in. Otherwise, they can just buy your car and then not worry about getting an allocation for you and then you'd be out a Camaro. If they want your car bad enough, they'll find a way to get an allocation for you.
Great point. I would ensure they have a car for me or sign a document guaranteeing it if I trade it in or sell it to them.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:03 PM   #27
Satin Steel ZL1

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm leaning towards getting the ZLE. Before I get too excited I will talk more with my dealer and try and get an actual time frame on when Id get a car and if I could get one with the supply chain issues. I will make sure before I give them the title that I have a legally binding document that will protect me from the typical dealership nonsense. They gave me a cash offer for the car and a trade in value as well. I'm not going to take a cash offer now unless they can guarantee me an allocation.

I am also thinking about just sitting back for a bit too as I know the Camaro production is halted currently. I do NOT want to be without a Camaro for 6-12 months.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #28
Satin Steel ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
You answered in your post

“ upgrade to a brand new car with a new warranty and get what I really wanted but couldn't afford at the time seems like a good deal”

Go for it. I didn’t want to sell my Z/28 but the deal I got was amazing and I will soon own the keeper car that I wanted years ago. As TXCSSU mentioned though, I’d push that dealership to get an allocation. They got connections so I’d play hardball with them.
Very true. I think Im going to try and go for it so long as I can get this whole order thing sorted out and guarantee me a car. I might have t wait a while and play some games with the dealer which are always fun.