Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
toyzforme

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS/RS Inferno Orang
AC compressor replaced, R134 filling problem

So my AC compressor took a dump. I went ahead and replaced the compressor, condensor. I vacuumed the system for 1.5 hrs. Did another 1hr leak down test and all is good. Put on new belt and proceeded to fill it up with R134. I got one can 168grams and it wouldn't take anymore. I hooked up the gauges to see what the pressures were and the low side was at zero and the high side was at 100. Mind you the compressor never kicked on. I am thinking the expansion valve might be bad but don't know for sure. This is a 2010 SS model.

I also think I put too much pag oil in the compressor as it had a label on it that said fill with 6oz of oil. So I added that, but when I went back to the website I ordered it from, it stated it came prefilled.

Any tips to help me figure this out? Thanks
toyzforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
A bad expansion valve won't keep the compressor from coming on. Are you sure you plugged in the compressor? As for your pressures, are you sure you opened the low side valve? The system should be showing nearly equal pressures when off. Total system oil charge is ONLY 4.10 ounces. Even being over charged won't keep the system from coming on. it will keep it from cooling properly though.
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Probably a good idea to remove the compressor before you damage it, drain all the oil, by holding the ports down and rotating the compressor by hand.

If you lunch a compressor in a bad way, it will deposit debris in the system. The condenser should be replaced, as you did. Then the lines should be flushed of debris. Also the expansion valve should either be replaced or flushed as well as flushing the evaporator. Otherwise, debris from the last compressor will trash the new one.

When you go to fill it once all the above is addressed, you'll likely need to engage the compressor by jumping the high side pressure switch. But sometimes the compressor will engage if you get enough refrigerant in.

Usually a compressor change only is a 2 oz PAG refill, another couple for the condenser, another 1 or 2 for hoses and a couple for an evaporator.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
toyzforme

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS/RS Inferno Orang
I think its weird that the compressor said it needed 6oz of oil. Im going to pull it back off and drain the oil cause I think its fluid locked at the moment. Yes it is plugged in and I have already flushed the evaporator and the expansion valve but I am going to replace the valve anyways as they are not that expensive. I hate having to buy another belt but its my fault.
toyzforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #5
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
If your careful, you won't need another belt. They can be reused. Just walk it off the back of the crank pulley and walk it back on from the back of the crank pulley. If you bought the belt from GM it should have come with the install tool. Otherwise, a heavy duty zip tie will work to hold it in place to get it started.