Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #169
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I've added some elements including a few based on feedback. On view C I added some fender flares to the wheel wells, started to add the 'reverse mullet' on the roof, cleaned up the front side marker light, and added Angrybird's idea of the NASA scoop on the hood.

Once I started adding some of these details, to my eye it started to clutter up the look. The clean fender well edges, the clean roof and hood really works visually with this particular design. So....

On view B I got rid of the mullet and flares and put my original idea of a hood bulge created by putting recessed areas in the hood next to where the bulge would be if the center of the hood were bulged upward. This creates the visual illusion of a bulge and creates two areas where hood vents could be.

On view A the hood is cleaned up even further with a simple, traditional style hood bulge.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept8a.jpg
Views: 6901
Size:  156.6 KB
Although I really liked my idea of the recessed hood bulge in view B, I have to say... visually... to me, view A looks the best on this body design. What do you guys think? Too retro? Too 5th gen?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #170
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I've added some elements including a few based on feedback. On view C I added some fender flares to the wheel wells, started to add the 'reverse mullet' on the roof, cleaned up the front side marker light, and added Angrybird's idea of the NASA scoop on the hood.

Once I started adding some of these details, to my eye it started to clutter up the look. The clean fender well edges, the clean roof and hood really works visually with this particular design. So....

On view B I got rid of the mullet and flares and put my original idea of a hood bulge created by putting recessed areas in the hood next to where the bulge would be if the center of the hood were bulged upward. This creates the visual illusion of a bulge and creates two areas where hood vents could be.

On view A the hood is cleaned up even further with a simple, traditional style hood bulge.
Attachment 546831
Although I really liked my idea of the recessed hood bulge in view B, I have to say... visually... to me, view A looks the best on this body design. What do you guys think? Too retro? Too 5th gen?
On the last one the scoop needs to raise up like on the 4th gen, the way you have it there looks looks like it goes down into the hood similar to what the Mustang had in the 90's
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #171
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Much better! I started to post about lowering the beltline at the windshield in my last post, but didn't have time to describe what I envisioned so I deleted it. That's pretty close! I was also going to recommend putting a bottom back into the lower radiator opening. It looked very unfinished to my eye. This is much sleeker.

I really don't see much 4thgen in that at all. *shrug*

The car still really needs hips though, prominent hips scream "I'm ready to pounce, if you don't get out of my way I'll eat you!" That's what a powerful RWD V8 car should say, IMO.
I like view B for the hood, it looks cluttered because you have to draw lines there rather than shadows. Try getting rid of the line at the front of both depressions to simulate a smooth transition from the flat part of the hood, then widening them by moving the outside lines further toward the fender?

Also, the mirrors need to be larger. They're disproportionally small.

Oh, one other important thing for now... I think the windshield is too flat. Can you curve it out toward the front, at least the bottom edge?

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 08-17-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #172
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Much better! I started to post about lowering the beltline at the windshield in my last post, but didn't have time to describe what I envisioned so I deleted it. That's pretty close! I was also going to recommend putting a bottom back into the lower radiator opening. It looked very unfinished to my eye. This is much sleeker.

I really don't see much 4thgen in that at all. *shrug*

The car still really needs hips though, prominent hips scream "I'm ready to pounce, if you don't get out of my way I'll eat you!" That's what a powerful RWD V8 car should say, IMO.
I like view B for the hood, it looks cluttered because you have to draw lines there rather than shadows. Try getting rid of the line at the front of both depressions to simulate a smooth transition from the flat part of the hood, then widening them by moving the outside lines further toward the fender?

Also, the mirrors need to be larger. They're disproportionally small.

Oh, one other important thing for now... I think the windshield is too flat. Can you curve it out toward the front, at least the bottom edge?
If you look at the curvature of the side and the shape of the wheel well openings then look at the picture of the 4th gen I posted, you should see a resembelance. Not including the roof and side windows.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #173
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
As far as a general design goes...I like your newest ones. Specifically I like "A" the best. Mostly because I for one really love a hood with some sort of a raised center. To me...that's muscle. The recessed hood on "B" is cool too, but I'd still want the center raised. I am not a fan of the hood on "C"

The really long amber parking lamps or whatever those are in the front would have to go. Instead, I envision some futuristic looking lamps in there similar to the TF4 bumblebee Camaro I posted up on my thread, but of course that's just my vision.

I also feel like side could use more pizzaz....like a vent or indentions or something in between the rear tire and the doors.

You said you like a clean look, so I think to help that the door handles could go away completely and instead have some simple pulls on the backsides of the doors. They could be a recess behind the door like the Corvette....or some type of raised pull handle on the back side of the dool. My wifes 2008 Eclipse had something similar to that.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #174
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Experimenting with suggestions and tweaking details. In view A I put a fairly hefty fender flare over the rear wheel (is that enough of a "hip"?); view B doesn't have it so you can do an A/B comparison. I can do something similar for the front wheel if the rear one is enough of a hip. I put side brake cooling vents in the rear quarter panel as requested. I put new door handles as per request (good call on that one!). I made the outside rear view mirror larger. I put a slight more curve in the windshield as requested.

I put (obviously) fog lights in view A. The red stripe in view B was just an idea; in view A it's just a darker gray but that could easily be full black to create a contrast line that visually thins the upper body.

The hoods are another story. Struggling to get them to look right. I may try a B type hood with the A type center bulge to try something different.

This style seems to be getting the most favorable reactions so far! Looks like we're finally dialing into a good shape. I'll start working on a 3/4 back view.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept8b.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  163.3 KB
Somebody commented about the long orange running lights in the front... there's a special feature about them that doesn't show in a still image. They're a tight line of LED's inside so when you use the turn signal, a light pulse moves from the inside to the outside (from one end to the other) towards the headlight; then when the last LED in that bar turns off, the side marker light on the fender turns on to "finish" the sequence then it starts over again. If the running lights are on at night, they're at a half-power setting so the "pulse" goes to full bright for each LED as the pulse appears to move to the outside.

I'll do something similar for the tailights.

Angrybird I haven't forgotten your idea for the hood; just having difficulty getting it to look right.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #175
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Did some more detail work. Changed the quarter panel side scoop to a cleaner single scoop instead of split into two, and did a cabin glass treatment.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept8b2.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  85.5 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #176
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
+1
LOVE IT TOO!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #177
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Quote:
I am glad you went back to this design with some tweeks looks good. Is there any way you could use this vent to your new design? Lose the centerline and then change the gills in the back. Then starting with the upper vent line, make them skinnier and curve slightly with the wheel arch. Try 3 gills then maybe 2. I like the direction you are going.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #178
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
I am glad you went back to this design with some tweeks looks good. Is there any way you could use this vent to your new design? Lose the centerline and then change the gills in the back. Then starting with the upper vent line, make them skinnier and curve slightly with the wheel arch. Try 3 gills then maybe 2. I like the direction you are going.
The thing with side vents is there are SO many sizes, shapes and variations you can choose but only one of them will look "right". You would not believe how much time I've spent tweaking shapes, sizes and LOCATION trying to get something that looked like it should be there.

Here are a couple of variations of front side vents, which may or may not work with rear side vents. It's real easy to clutter up the design if you put too many visual elements in there.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept8b3.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  167.2 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 08-18-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Fixed image
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #179
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Yes these were/are great points that really help focus what people see as a muscle car versus a sports car. After thinking about it I believe people see a muscle car as a straight-line accelerator; hence why so many talk about what it can do in the 1/4 mile. A sports car is upgraded from just power, to power and handling so it can handle the curves which is why they tend to have curvy, sleeker shapes to reflect their design purpose of handling curves.

Times have changed though and now the pony/muscle car class is evolving towards sports car territory and that's where there's clashing expectations among those who still want a 427 big block muscle car, and those who want a powerful all-round road car. I've been doing sports car gt designs mostly and it seems they don't have enough "muscle" look.
I think the greatest appeal of both the classic and modern "muscle car" is that they do not appear competitive against the more aerodynamically styled sports cars. They are not the sleekest, lightest or most aerodynamically efficient vehicles. Either from stoplight to stoplight, on the 1/4 or on the road course, you want the guy in the sports car with jet plane aerodynamics to be befuddled as to how you beat him. He bought a Ferrari, so what? You bought an engine, suspension and brake package that defies the common understanding of physics for half the price or less.

The fact that a 2012 ZL1 puts down almost equal stats as a 2012 Corvette Grandsport, is what I'm talking about. The common person does not believe a Camaro and a Corvette are in the same league. When they line up at the start of any type of race, most bets would be for the car that looks faster. At least until the Green light or flag drops.

Now I'm not saying putting an LS9 into a Volkswagen Beetle wouldn't shock everyone but you still want to look a little cool in your car.

I believe it is the powerful image of the 5th Gen that reinvigorated the Camaro. It seems to me it was the "bubbly" flowing aerodynamics that killed the Camaro's appeal and sales from 1993 - 2002. At least, no Camaro since the first gen has appealed to me until the 5th Gen. Tap into that main design difference and you may find the formula that actually works for Camaro. The Camaro shouldn't look like it's trying to compete at Le Mans. It should look like a great car to drive all week and then shock everyone at your local Club Race. Also remember that, as the platform gets smaller, the passengers dont. A smaller platform will still need to look like it seats 4 with some measure of comfort. If the greenhouse is too short, it begins to look like it wants to be a Corvette.

This holden HSV Coupe concept contains some styling cues that I hope might illustrate (but not necessarily exemplify) what I'm trying to describe. I already mentioned the largish fascia with headlight lenses that face the wind and large air-sucking holes. The forward lean with every line sloping downwards toward the front. The line that curves around the front fender flair and then extends back until it outlines the rear deck. The lines from the vents that also extend back until they either join the rear wheel flair or fade into the rear. The rear end angled upward and a large diffuser that looks like the car is showing you its balls as it passes. The whole car looks like it's pushing wind out of it's way rather than slipping gracefully through it. "It shouldn't appear to be as fast and agile as it is."

Last edited by silverds; 08-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #180
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Ok don't laugh as I am using paint but I was thinking something along this line. Of course it needs shading and straight lines ....lol
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #181
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Here are some GM concepts built on the Alpha platform to use as possible scale references.

EDIT: Though Doc may be on to something in his sleeker more sport oriented design for his Camaro concept. From my reading on these alpha platform based concepts it seems from rumors that GM may be sliding a long lost and familiar nameplate in between the Camaro and SS. ...."Chevelle".

Does anyone else see Camaro inspired lines in this Buick Riviera Concept?

Last edited by silverds; 08-18-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #182
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
I think the greatest appeal of both the classic and modern "muscle car" is that they do not appear competitive against the more aerodynamically styled sports cars. They are not the sleekest, lightest or most aerodynamically efficient vehicles. Either from stoplight to stoplight, on the 1/4 or on the road course, you want the guy in the sports car with jet plane aerodynamics to be befuddled as to how you beat him. He bought a Ferrari, so what? You bought an engine, suspension and brake package that defies the common understanding of physics for half the price or less.

The fact that a 2012 ZL1 puts down almost equal stats as a 2012 Corvette Grandsport, is what I'm talking about. The common person does not believe a Camaro and a Corvette are in the same league. When they line up at the start of any type of race, most bets would be for the car that looks faster. At least until the Green light or flag drops.

Now I'm not saying putting an LS9 into a Volkswagen Beetle wouldn't shock everyone but you still want to look a little cool in your car.

I believe it is the powerful image of the 5th Gen that reinvigorated the Camaro. It seems to me it was the "bubbly" flowing aerodynamics that killed the Camaro's appeal and sales from 1993 - 2002. At least, no Camaro since the first gen has appealed to me until the 5th Gen. Tap into that main design difference and you may find the formula that actually works for Camaro. The Camaro shouldn't look like it's trying to compete at Le Mans. It should look like a great car to drive all week and then shock everyone at your local Club Race. Also remember that, as the platform gets smaller, the passengers dont. A smaller platform will still need to look like it seats 4 with some measure of comfort. If the greenhouse is too short, it begins to look like it wants to be a Corvette.

This holden HSV Coupe concept contains some styling cues that I hope might illustrate (but not necessarily exemplify) what I'm trying to describe. I already mentioned the largish fascia with headlight lenses that face the wind and large air-sucking holes. The forward lean with every line sloping downwards toward the front. The line that curves around the front fender flair and then extends back until it outlines the rear deck. The lines from the vents that also extend back until they either join the rear wheel flair or fade into the rear. The rear end angled upward and a large diffuser that looks like the car is showing you its balls as it passes. The whole car looks like it's pushing wind out of it's way rather than slipping gracefully through it. "It shouldn't appear to be as fast and agile as it is."

Your comment about muscle cars "appearing" to not be competitive to sports cars wasn't a design choice. Back in the day it was more a choice of having to mass produce a car on a Detroit assembly line with stamped sheet metal as opposed to the Ferrari, Jaguar, Maserati, Porsche bodies that were hand-sculpted which is why they were so aerodynamic looking. The "foreign" exotics would be produced in hundreds per year while Detroit could crank out hundreds of thousands. They didn't have computer controlled anything back then the way they do now.

People certainly wanted the exotic look but most couldn't afford it. Enter pony/muscle cars which, even though they weren't exactly exotic looking were more "sporty" like looks-wise. However they made up for their lack of exotic looks with the one thing Detroit did best; engines. Detroit iron could deliver massive amounts of horsepower and torque compared to their "foreign" counterparts and that gave pony/muscle cars their advantage to overcome the aerodynamic shortcomings of their stamped sheet metal bodies. And while they were at it they also happened to deliver some pretty darned attractive bodies out of stamped sheet metal too.

And best of all? These Detroit machines were affordable! Hot rodders could mod the crud out of their muscle cars because engines and transmissions were cheap then and it was easy to do; completely the opposite of the foreign exotic cars. Thus everyone could make their car their "own" which was pretty much as popular as the car itself; a tradition that continues today.

Jump to today and computerized design/manufacturing along with the amazing improvements in materials has enabled manufacturers to do things their forefathers in the 60's could hardly even dream of. People "want it all" now and designers/manufacturers are delivering. I'm seeing bodywork and sculpted lines on everyday cars you wouldn't have seen on anything less than a custom, hand-built, one-off studio design concept 50 years ago. And they can mass produce cars like this now!

But still...people love the exotic look. The 5th gen, although inspired by the 1969 Camaro was a fabulous modern design that looked fast and powerful. GM took a gamble on it and it paid off big. Considering the "hot trend" 7 years ago was eco-friendly hybrids like the Prius, the idea of producing a car like the 5th gen was crazy. But people loved it. It looked exotic compared to eco cars but eco cars, small cars, sedans, even SUV's have made vast improvements in their styling and are borrowing heavily from the "exotic" look now days. However with the Z/28 climbing up there in price this new generation of hybrid muscle/sports/exotic is starting to get pricey.

So what do you do when everybody starts to have the same kinds of "looks" in their vehicle designs? My thought? Take it beyond to the next level. I'm thinking something that looks like NASA might have designed it; pure form and function...military jet fighter-like. Nobody is doing that right now; they're all doing batman movie-car/joker limo/gangster/heavy beast/transformer robot look. My thought is that a sleek, clean, no-nonsense, no-gimmick look that is as fast as it looks might be the next "new thing". I could be wrong; there's no doubt doing current trendy will sell for a few years but in the long run I'm thinking a clean, beautiful design will appeal to a wide range of buyers and have more staying power in the marketplace. A great design is still great 5 years from now; a trendy design isn't.

Great great discussion though... I really appreciate you taking the time to give this feedback!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
Ok don't laugh as I am using paint but I was thinking something along this line. Of course it needs shading and straight lines ....lol
I'm not laughing at all; believe me, I appreciate you taking the time and effort because this isn't easy by any means! Here's a couple of renders based on yours and others suggestions. View A has the big fender flares that usually gives the visual appearance of "muscle". View B is a version of your idea.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept8b4.jpg
Views: 4490
Size:  169.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Here are some GM concepts built on the Alpha platform to use as possible scale references.

EDIT: Though Doc may be on to something in his sleeker more sport oriented design for his Camaro concept. From my reading on these alpha platform based concepts it seems from rumors that GM may be sliding a long lost and familiar nameplate in between the Camaro and SS. ...."Chevelle".

"My comments below are in red - Doc"

"My first thought when seeing this: FROG"

"Fiat on steroids (proof steroids are bad for you)"

Does anyone else see Camaro inspired lines in this Buick Riviera Concept?

"I do and in fact it looks a lot like the George Loizou concept render"

"Beautiful...!"

"Porsche 911"

"Nice looking. Front looks like it was inspired by an SUV but still very nicely done."

Based on those images showing the Alpha platform I think I'm pretty darned close on the wheelbase for my designs. My wheels might be a touch too big though, but maybe those concept wheels are smaller than I think...maybe 17's or 18's? My design is for 19's or 20's.

After studying it I realized that Holden concept car has that beefy look because of those massive fender flares. Take those away and it's a nice looking sedan but wouldn't have that muscle look. That seems to be the trick with the "muscle" look nowadays is to go with big beefy fender flare extensions. Pick-up trucks and SUV's are having that look now. In the A view of my design I posted up above I put big fender flares on the design but either I did it wrong or it just doesn't work with my design. It looks "off" to me; doesn't look like they belong... maybe it's just me.

Since everybody is currently fishing with their designs to try and be different it's interesting to see what they're experimenting with on those concept cars.

I want the Camaro to be leading-edge. I don't want it to be a "trend". I realize many want a "man" car but I'm trying to design a muscle/sports car that appeals to more than just young males. The Camaro has a large female customer base and I think it would be a mistake to alienate them. I want the Camaro to look fast, clean, pure, precision, refined.... powerful yet elegant and classy. Something you can take a date out to dinner in; yet make no mistake... at any given moment... "Camaro; you are cleared for launch" and blam...you're supersonic. I'm taking a chance here with this concept; bucking the trend. Maybe it could be a Chevelle. Maybe it could be something new; more refined than a Camaro; not as "wild child" as a Corvette; not as luxury as a Cadillac. A new breed of performance elegance.

Or quite possibly.....I'm just wasting my time HAH! But at any rate this is more interesting than watching the junk on TV.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Closed Thread

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation