Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Kellen

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS
First manual is a 1LE.. I have a question.

I am new to this forum and I am a soon to be owner of a 2015 1LE in Summit White.. I am very excited but, as this is going to be my first car with a manual transmission, I was wondering if driving this car will be fairly easy to get the hang of. I have driven a few other cars with a stick shift but I realize that every car is different. I appreciate all feedback!!
Kellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen View Post
I am new to this forum and I am a soon to be owner of a 2015 1LE in Summit White.. I am very excited but, as this is going to be my first car with a manual transmission, I was wondering if driving this car will be fairly easy to get the hang of. I have driven a few other cars with a stick shift but I realize that every car is different. I appreciate all feedback!!
Yes. My SS is an auto, but the M6 in these are very easy to drive and enjoy. Lots of torque makes it easier to get a rolling start.

I think you will be very happy!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I think it will be much easier do to the 1LE is a close ratio gear box. Many people who ride with me can't believe its a manual when I shift since it so smooth.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
The Hunter

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
My 1LE was my first manual car and it took me about 3 months to get super confident to drive it but its a super easy car to learn to drive a manual.
The Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
Kellen

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS
Awesome! I'm extremely excited to get this car! Normal manual driving doesn't scare me too much but I am honestly a bit frightened by starting when facing up a hill.. I'm sure it isn't as much of a hassle as it seems.
Kellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
Ippon14

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet 2ssRs1Le
The car comes with a hill assist which I think is a great help. Some members will disagree.
Ippon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon14 View Post
The car comes with a hill assist which I think is a great help. Some members will disagree.
For some one who has never driven a stick, hsa is helpful. Just take off like you would on flat ground and hsa takes care of making sure you don't roll backwards. If you know what you are doing and don't expect it then you end up with a terrible smell of clutch and brakes lol.
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
iamtheman01

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
I was in the same boat. I just got my 1LE last thursday and and just started learning. The hardest part for me was the initial takeoff and starting on a hill. What i have learned it, alot of stops you can roll into the gear so it makes it easier.

Another trick i find helped me start out on hills was to when my foot is on the clutch, keep my heel on the ground so i have more control to just slowly let it out and use my other foot to give it gas.

I have been driving mine for almost a week, and i am not even close to perfect, but i get around quite nice!
iamtheman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
Vertwheal

Drives: 2015 AGM 1SS/RS/1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon14 View Post
Tuned mine out, hated it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
CAI intake, ADM scoop, Rotofab washer relocation, Bo White stage II ported TB, Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT, RPI Splash Guards, Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts, Tuned by Rick @ Synergy Motorsports - 414/403 on a Mustang dyno
Vertwheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #10
javi05

Drives: 14 ss 1le camaro
I have driven lots of manuals, but for some reason this one is different IMO . Noisy but I love it. Lol. It can take a good banging !!! Good luck !

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. blk on blk..stock
javi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:48 AM   #11
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
stay off that damn clutch as much as possible. don't ride it, drag it or hold it to the floor engaged for extended periods

1st and reverse can be annoying as low speed maneuvers require patience. i hate 6th gear. LOL
1st gear is like " dear lord give me enough room to get to 20mph so the skip shift doesn't come on" and reverse can lurch you'll be going much faster than you need to backing until you get the hang of it

i'm a 3-4-5 guy. that's where the fun is. break her loose in 3rd gear shift at 70 and you'll grin all the way home. p.s. that is not a recommendation....

Last edited by snarky; 07-22-2015 at 04:10 AM.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
Elvira1le
Mistress of the dark

Drives: Black 2014 RS 2SS 1LE
use hand brake on hills

I learned in England that the brake handle is there for a reason and it is not a parking brake. It keeps the car from rolling and over there they have contests with the car on a steep hill and a pack of smokes wedged under the rear tire(tyre) and you have to take off without crushing the pack. It is not that hard to coordinate gas, clutch and hand brake. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen View Post
Awesome! I'm extremely excited to get this car! Normal manual driving doesn't scare me too much but I am honestly a bit frightened by starting when facing up a hill.. I'm sure it isn't as much of a hassle as it seems.
Elvira1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
From my experience, it’s the hardest manual transmission car to drive smoothly. Throttle is hard to modulate with a stock tune, clutch grabs very abruptly in comparison to most cars, and the transmission (although very quick and smooth if you got everything perfect) can be a big pain if your shift is not perfectly, especially when the car is not fully warmed up.Been driving manual transmission cars for over 10 years. It’s my third MT car, and I’ve also driven a bunch of other ones that did not belong to me.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #14
dshakhba

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/1LE
The 1LE transmission is one of the hardest stock transmissions to learn stick on I'd have to say. Took me about a month or so to feel fully confident in it....It was my first manual car, but I had driven manual cars here and there before. The clutch engage point is very high, maybe almost 70-80% out from the floor. But once you learn on the 1LE, everything else would be a breeze. I love how you have to manhandle the shifter sometimes, its a true drivers transmission.
dshakhba is offline   Reply With Quote