Old 02-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Unhappy Why I wish the 1LE RPO was available on the 2SS

I have seen a lot of back and forth from people saying either

1) This should be available on the 2SS!

-or-

2) This was made to be a hard core track car! If you want the bells and whistles, then the 1LE is not for you so go away.

My problem with the 2nd argument that people are making about this being a track car and saying that people that want it on the 2SS aren't really interested in a track focused car is that that this is already a much better daily driver than 3rd and 4th gen 1LE's, but not offered on both trim levels liket he 5th gen was. GM has stuck this right in the middle when they could have made it available on both trim levels like they did in the 5th gen and the V6 version.

Those that argue that "bells and whistles aren't needed" don't realize just how bare GM could have made this car. If it truly was 100% about track performance, they would have done away with the radio, back seat, sound deadening, purely asthetic hood wrap, etc. Very few would ever be sold but that would make for a more "track focused" car that the purists want like the 3rd and 4th gen cars. GM even added a leather back seat to match the front Recaro units when it adds zero value to the trackability of the car. It's clear that GM wanted this car to appeal to more than just track purists that I see arguing here so just stop.

That's why I don't buy into the argument that "They did it right. I don't need bose, disco lighting, blind spot monitoring, leather door trim, etc." Why are very few arguing that they didn't go far enough with the weight savings?? Because no one on here would buy this car if it had no radio or A/C, or very few would. I guarantee that the same people arguing about "If you need xyz then this car isn't for you" would be arguing that "I can't believe this doesn't have a radio or A/C" if GM would have swung in the other direction and made it a true stripper car.

That's why I feel it should be offered on the 1SS and 2SS. A good amount of people (myself included) really want all of the creature comforts available but also would love the 1LE for the .001% of the time that I'll track it. Hell, I even like it just for how it looks, forget track performance. I've wanted a 1LE ever since the early 90's when I learned about them when they were a true stripper car. For those that don't want the creature comforts, I say more power to you and go for the 1SS with the 1LE RPO. But I don't understand the animosity towards people like myself that really want this available on the 2SS saying things like "you're not a true gearhead if you want to listen to a good radio over the sound of your exhaust." I am very happy to sacrifice .2 seconds of a lap once a year if I can have this wonderful package on a 2SS as a daily driver since I can't afford both a 2SS and a 1SS 1le

I'm really not looking for an argument here, just voicing that it would have been nice for the 1SS less bells and whistles crowd to be able to order the RPO as well as the crowd that truly will use this as a daily driver and want the bells and whistles that make a commute better such as Bose, blind spot monitoring, Homelink, auto dimming mirror, dual zone climate control, etc. I know you can't make everyone happy, but you could have made more people happy with no additional engineering costs (except maybe heated/cooled recaros which I can see dropping from a 2SS 1LE if it's not possible). Those are just my thoughts on the subject. I'm still up in the air about going with the 1LE or the 2SS. I really want the 1LE but I'm bummed I may need to sacrifice some items for it. It would be nice if they offered some of those options a la carte at least.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Premium Bose on the SS version at the minimum would have been nice, or if you could get it when you throw the Navigation in. I can live with the package as it sits, 2SS and auto are not even on the radar now.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
mateorush90

Drives: White Chevrolet Blazer 4W
Spoke my thoughts exactly. When I see those responses I ask myself...

"How much SIGNIFICANT weight are those Bose speakers(as opposed to standard), and the interior spectrum lighting, adding?" And then I laugh. Thats why not a single argument here has convinced me the track package deserves to stay only on the 1SS. If I wanted to be hardcore I'd get the next Z28 (or strip/mod an SS myself). Chances are the ZL*'s performace setup will exceed that of the 1LE as well as provide all those creature/safety comforts. Therefore should it be frowned upon by track enthusiasts?

Essentially what i'm saying is...how does luxury hurt track performance?
I feel like people are reaching hard to justify GM's decision, when the reason is in fact something else we're not aware of or overlooking...
mateorush90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
kesbar

Drives: Subaru RSti
I'm sure the ZL1 is the car Chevy intends to fill that gap with.
kesbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I want heated and cooled seats... I know that is possible, the CTS-V has them right?

I know my butt & back got hot while on the track with my 2010 and it would be great to have the seats running cool while on the track.

It just seems weird they wouldn't allow the creature comforts of the 2ss to be combined with the 1LE.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
I bet a 2SS with 1LE package is right at the ZL1 price... maybe that's why. They need to have a decent price gap between the 2 cars.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
If 48K will buy me a ZL1 sign me up...

For reference, Al O said the goal was to keep the 1LE under 40k...so right at about 42K final price
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
2) This was made to be a hard core track car! If you want the bells and whistles, then the 1LE is not for you so go away.
People who say don't really know what they want. I've spent my fair share of summer days in the staging lanes in a metal box and cage, fire suit, and helmet, while the track crew takes just long enough to clean an oil spill that you get uncomfortably hot, but not long enough for you to undo your 5 point harness and get out.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
If 48K will buy me a ZL1 sign me up...

For reference, Al O said the goal was to keep the 1LE under 40k...so right at about 42K final price
Don't cling to hard to that price "quote" that's circulating. Nobody is talking price. The most they've said so far is that "it will be a Camaro, and Camaros are affordable", or "If you could afford the last gen 1LE, you should be able to get this one, too".

Anyways........I can understand your point, Eric SS. When I bought my 5th gen 1LE, I was actually stepping down from a ZL1 (for my own reasons), and used the car as my daily driver, so I opted for a 2SS.

The 1LE is wicked in every way, and I'd be thrilled to own one. But first - I'm going to wait to see what else they may be offered, before I make my decision.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
Waiting46

Biggest concern is the 2SS vs 1LE price gap. You get a couple safety features, but not $4-$7K worth of safety features :/ right now, WORST case scenario, the 1LE is looking at a $7K price bump, making it $45K, a 2SS with brakes, MRC, NPP is nearly (over?) $50K; dual zone, disco lights, and some safety features don't make up the 5k difference. theres a 5K difference between 1SS and 2SS, and that upgrade at least gets you leather seats and the HUD to boot, at the upper end I should be getting MORE for my money not LESS
Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Biggest concern is the 2SS vs 1LE price gap. You get a couple safety features, but not $4-$7K worth of safety features :/ right now, WORST case scenario, the 1LE is looking at a $7K price bump, making it $45K, a 2SS with brakes, MRC, NPP is nearly (over?) $50K; dual zone, disco lights, and some safety features don't make up the 5k difference. theres a 5K difference between 1SS and 2SS, and that upgrade at least gets you leather seats and the HUD to boot, at the upper end I should be getting MORE for my money not LESS
This is why I think they dropped the ball though. They are leaving money on the table because a lot of people, including myself, would pay more for less on the 2SS. I'd pay the same $$ for the 1LE package even if less was added to the package on the 2SS vs. 1SS due to standard 2SS features.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Some people are going to get into an SS/1LE, and not like the seats, immediately. (I'm talking about showrooms). Others will wonder (like folks on here are) where the blind spot monitor or heated elements is.

Likely...these people will probably not be interested in doing a $1200 brake job every couple of years, so they'll pass on the brakes LPO. The leather-wrapped door components, spectrum lighting, and memory seats will add a "luxury feel" to the 2SS, as well.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Waiting46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Some people are going to get into an SS/1LE, and not like the seats, immediately. (I'm talking about showrooms). Others will wonder (like folks on here are) where the blind spot monitor or heated elements is.

Likely...these people will probably not be interested in doing a $1200 brake job every couple of years, so they'll pass on the brakes LPO. The leather-wrapped door components, spectrum lighting, and memory seats will add a "luxury feel" to the 2SS, as well.
While I agree that the 2SS will be the grand touring model, they have essentially said that safety, disco lights, and an upgraded stereo are worth $5k, where with the 1SS vs 2SS it was safety, disco lights, upgraded stereo AND leather seats and a HUD were worth $5k before. They are devaluing the 2SS, so they should add more standard equipment to it to make it a valuable option (I use valuable in terms of bang for buck here).
Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
While I agree that the 2SS will be the grand touring model, they have essentially said that safety, disco lights, and an upgraded stereo are worth $5k, where with the 1SS vs 2SS it was safety, disco lights, upgraded stereo AND leather seats and a HUD were worth $5k before. They are devaluing the 2SS, so they should add more standard equipment to it to make it a valuable option (I use valuable in terms of bang for buck here).
Don't forget Homelink, auto dim rear and sideview mirrors, dual zone climate control, and heated/cooled seats. Options that a lot of people really like.