Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #57
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Difference between the the gen 3/4 1LE and the gen 5 1LE was marketing. That is the only real reason the sales were so much higher on the 5th gen ones. The 3rd gen 1LE's were basically just made for the Players Challenge and such. They weren't really made for the general public. The 4th gen was pretty similar, and shared many parts with the B4C police package cars. If I recall, there was never even a mention of the 1LE in any 3rd or 4th gen brochure. You had to know you wanted it, and order it. GM made it much more mainstream for the 5th gen as we all know...
100% correct. The 5th gen was getting long in the tooth so they marketed the 1LE as a "track pack" kind of option. 3rd and 4th gen were really not meant to be streetable for most buyers. In all honesty, they could have called it a "track pack" or "performance pack" on the 5th gen and given it a totally different RPO code and it was have sold just the same. Then, they could have also offered a 1LE RPO code based on this "track pack" configuration and with some creature comfort deletes and and no one here would be crying for a 1LE car at all. They would be crying for a "track pack" option in 2017. I wish it would have been done that way. I personally think they should have left the 1LE RPO code as a weekend track car option for the every day man that can't afford the Z28 RPO. Just my humble opinion though from someone who always had an affinity for the IROC-Z 1LE.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #58
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The point of the 1LE is to improve the track capability of the V8 Camaro.

The concern would be increasing the price. They would have to validate and certify all the possible combinations for the options on the 1LE option.

I would rather a price increase go to brakes or more aero than paying to validate an auto trans I would never buy.
As a "package" do they still have to do that? I assumed that since it was still "Camaro, 2017, SS" it would not need a separate certification for crash tests
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #59
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
As a "package" do they still have to do that? I assumed that since it was still "Camaro, 2017, SS" it would not need a separate certification for crash tests
I'm talking more along the lines of their own validation and certification. They have to make sure everything will work for at least the life of the warranty,
Old 01-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #60
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1LTBA View Post
With the options we have on the Gen6 SS... would they even offer a 1LE package? I think it would make more sense to introduce a new model to the lineup for the sake of sales, free marketing, etc.

Doesn't have to be ridiculously priced. Just enough to stomp the Mustang again and there will be buyers. Just my thoughts although I'm not completely familiar with the Gen5 1LE package.

There's obviously something in the works, but maybe more than a 1LE package. Just don't see the need with the current car unless it was an extremely profitable option for GM on the Gen5. Just add a "Z" model to compete with the GT350.
We need a 1LE to whip the gt350 and a Z28 to compete and beat the GT350R
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #61
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
People: Please don't turn this into ANOTHER manual vs automatic thread!

This is about the 1LE, not transmission preference...
Agreed. We already know auto's are the best. /close thread. jk.