Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
SLP headers

I was interested in Kooks headers but unless I have them installed at the dealer, they will void part of my drive train warranty. The dealer installs SLP headers. Does anyone have any opinion on SLP?
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
I was interested in Kooks headers but unless I have them installed at the dealer, they will void part of my drive train warranty. The dealer installs SLP headers. Does anyone have any opinion on SLP?
Can't the dealer install the Kooks? Or is the point that they want to hold you hostage over buying headers from them?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
jgray1978

Here's their response to my inquiry via FB.
"Yes we use slp headers combined with a programmer with a program written just for your car"

Are SLP not that good?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Here's their response to my inquiry via FB.
"Yes we use slp headers combined with a programmer with a program written just for your car"

Are SLP not that good?
They are not terrible but they are definitely a step down from Kooks. SLP headers are 409 stainless steel (like your factory cat back) rather than 304L so they will rust.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
sutherlacd27

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
They are not terrible but they are definitely a step down from Kooks. SLP headers are 409 stainless steel (like your factory cat back) rather than 304L so they will rust.
Just to chime in on the rust issue...I am from WI and had SLP headers on my previous GTO for 2 years and the car was my daily driver. It saw the worst of the worse in WI winters. When I traded the car in the headers had a couple speckles of rust but nothing that would be harmful in any way.
sutherlacd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
jgray1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherlacd27 View Post
Just to chime in on the rust issue...I am from WI and had SLP headers on my previous GTO for 2 years and the car was my daily driver. It saw the worst of the worse in WI winters. When I traded the car in the headers had a couple speckles of rust but nothing that would be harmful in any way.
I'm from West Michigan. You and I could trade winter stories...lol

So is that the main difference? Do the SLP sound and perform the same as the Kooks? I had picked out Kooks mainly from name recognition as well as reading other peeps responses to them. I have a fairly open budget so cost is not that much of a factor(within reason).
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherlacd27 View Post
But if you are going to pay the same money either way wouldn't you rather have something that isn't going to show rust over something that will? Two years is not a very long time and as it passes the difference becomes more and more apparent.

Quote:
I'm from West Michigan. You and I could trade winter stories...lol

So is that the main difference? Do the SLP sound and perform the same as the Kooks? I had picked out Kooks mainly from name recognition as well as reading other peeps responses to them. I have a fairly open budget so cost is not that much of a factor(within reason).
From a performance standpoint SLP are 1 3/4 headers rather than 1 7/8 so you will be leaving power on the table. SLP headers are just not a very good bang for your buck in my opinion. They are over priced considering the material used and the limitations. I would recommend saving $400 and getting Stainless Power headers over them
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Dealers tend to be sketchy of any brand except SLP mainly because they can easily get ahold of SLP. That's not a good reason to buy SLP over something else, though. Dealers often get confused on warranties, so I wouldn't listen to anything your dealer says about your warranty.

I recently installed SLP headers myself. While 1 7/8" primaries are known to net higher peak gains, mid-range gains are plentiful on 1 3/4". The SLP headers are great quality, but keep in mind that they are 409, not 304. They do come ceramic-coated and fit very well.

While I encourage you to get a tune with your headers, I have not done so yet, and I have yet to throw a code.

Also, you can talk your SLP dealer down.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
IMHO , your dealer is a DICK and wrong about the warrantee. If I were you I would get your headers from a site vendor who will give you a deal ,and install them yourself or pay a shop to do it . I would also avoid that dealer and find another dealer for warrantee work if you ever need it . See if there are any site vendors /shops in your area/state and get a total price from them , I bet you will get better product, price, service and less bullshit for your money.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
sutherlacd27

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
But if you are going to pay the same money either way wouldn't you rather have something that isn't going to show rust over something that will? Two years is not a very long time and as it passes the difference becomes more and more apparent.

From a performance standpoint SLP are 1 3/4 headers rather than 1 7/8 so you will be leaving power on the table. SLP headers are just not a very good bang for your buck in my opinion. They are over priced considering the material used and the limitations. I would recommend saving $400 and getting Stainless Power headers over them
I would rather have kooks because of size and for the same price yes i would rather have better SS, i would just making sure it was known that rust still isnt really an issue.
sutherlacd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
hkemp

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS Camaro
I have the SLP long tubes. I installed them with no problems getting the stock off and the new on. I have had mine for a year now but the car is not a daily driver. The SLP are ceramic coated. The ceramic coating should hold up for a very long time as long as you don't break the surface. I had a set of stock manifolds for my 65 buick ceramic coated and have no problems with rust. I have the full SLP exhaust with HF cats. It did eventually throw a CEL and had to get a tune.
hkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
jgray1978

I have been conversing with the "Customs" arm of the dealership. They have said that after they work on it that I would need to bring it to them for future work/warranty coverage. I assume that this is to cover up the custom work. I have asked about the ECM and BCM data if requested by Detroit. Waiting on a response.

This dealership has been highly recommended.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
MyRideIsHere

Drives: 98 z28, 13 LS, 14 SS, 14 ZL1
Just went with Kooks and green cats. My dealer is going to install them. No tune... I bought my Camaro where I did because of a 20 year relationship with the dealer.
MyRideIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
jgray1978

Response from dealer:

"yes we will install the headers you supply.Yes the programmer we have will take your car back to factory."