Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Need Help With X-pipe/H-pipe Exhaust Setup

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to have some exhaust experts chime in here and offer some advice on how I can achieve the exhaust setup I want. The car is a 2014 V8 SS 6.2 LS3.

I know I want the Pfadt Tri-Y headers, and the Flowmaster American Thunder 3" Outlaw system (part# 817698 ). Easy, right?

Well, the other item I really want is a true H-pipe. The difference in sound of an H-pipe compared to an X-pipe is a big deal to me. I noticed that the only H-pipe available for this car is the one that comes from the factory. Every manufacturer that makes cat-back systems for our Camaros seem to go with the X-pipe. So, what are my options here? How logical would it be to buy the American Thunder cat-back, have the exhaust shop cut out the X-pipe and have an H-pipe custom made that can be welded in the same spot as the X-pipe that comes with that system?

Or does anyone make an H-pipe for this car? I've been scouring the web for days trying to find something. Any help you guys can offer would be great.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Usually the ideal reasons behind putting on an exhaust system is for performance and sound. The H-Pipe setup is not as efficient or productive as an x-pipe setup. By going aftermarket, it will be lighter, but you will have difficulty finding them because they aren't as effective. You could always have someone make a custom one.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Pfadt is no more. they have gone out of business, and nobody has the Tri Y headers in stock, or they are not parting with them if they do. So you may have to rethink your header choice.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Warghost

Thanks for the replies.

Mikey, the loss of 1-2hp doesn't mean as much to me as getting the same type of sound I am used to from my Mustangs. I know the X-pipe changes the modulation of the tone, so I will probably just get a custom H-pipe made.

I didn't know about Pfadt going out of business. Their website doesn't say anything about it, but I just went back and noticed I can't add the headers to the shopping cart. That's a shame, I had read goo things about the Tri-Y tech.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
To my under standing X pipes for small block and H-pipes for big block for best performance.
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
sutherlacd27

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Mikey, the loss of 1-2hp doesn't mean as much to me as getting the same type of sound I am used to from my Mustangs. I know the X-pipe changes the modulation of the tone, so I will probably just get a custom H-pipe made.

I didn't know about Pfadt going out of business. Their website doesn't say anything about it, but I just went back and noticed I can't add the headers to the shopping cart. That's a shame, I had read goo things about the Tri-Y tech.
so you got a camaro to make it sound like a mustang? makes sense...how about embracing the difference?
sutherlacd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Warghost

Yep, I just found the post on Pfadt's site about closing their doors last month. Damn shame.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Warghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherlacd27 View Post
so you got a camaro to make it sound like a mustang? makes sense...how about embracing the difference?
No thanks, I like the traditional Flowmaster sound that I've enjoyed since I bought my first mustang back in '99.

I prefer a deep, aggressive tone and H-pipes help more with that goal than X-pipes. It's a personal preference things, and my preference is an H-pipe. No worries, I can just have one made by the exhaust shop here.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
Warghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nasty View Post
To my under standing X pipes for small block and H-pipes for big block for best performance.
Thanks for the reply. Many dyno tests have been done to show the HP difference between the two types of pipe, and only 1-2HP is lost going from X to H. I think some people lost 3-4, but that's not a concern for me. Those are exact comparisons, same cars, same dynos, same setup with only the X- or H- pipes being swapped out. It does help with scavenging, but that's not an issue for me either.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I've had both, to me the H pipe does sound a little deeper. I'm doing an X pipe I like how they have more of a mid-range exotic sound at WOT.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
H-Pipe does sound better to me too. I think JBA has the H-pipe setup on their catback.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to have some exhaust experts chime in here and offer some advice on how I can achieve the exhaust setup I want. The car is a 2014 V8 SS 6.2 LS3.

I know I want the Pfadt Tri-Y headers, and the Flowmaster American Thunder 3" Outlaw system (part# 817698 ). Easy, right?

Well, the other item I really want is a true H-pipe. The difference in sound of an H-pipe compared to an X-pipe is a big deal to me. I noticed that the only H-pipe available for this car is the one that comes from the factory. Every manufacturer that makes cat-back systems for our Camaros seem to go with the X-pipe. So, what are my options here? How logical would it be to buy the American Thunder cat-back, have the exhaust shop cut out the X-pipe and have an H-pipe custom made that can be welded in the same spot as the X-pipe that comes with that system?

Or does anyone make an H-pipe for this car? I've been scouring the web for days trying to find something. Any help you guys can offer would be great.
Right now I have ARH LT's and a SLP Loudmouth 1 Axleback muffler delete. I have a L99 so there is a GIANT resonated H pipe in the middle and even now I can tell you it is LOUD. Any good muffler shop can fix you up a custom H pipe to fit into any custom exhaust. I'm getting a custom X pipe fitted soon.

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote