Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
tritus

Drives: RIP Camaro/ 6g Mustang GT/Hellcat
Help Please!!! About to buy my first Camaro!

First of all I would like to thank anyone who will take a quick second to help me out. I have been reading the forum and doing a lot of research but still have a lot of questions about my potential future car! I grew up in Europe and owning an American muscle car has always been my dream even though I can only afford the v6 it is about to come true.(yes v6 is still a muscle car for me since I used to own a 1.4 L vw polo).

I found a couple good 2010 2LT RS v6's in my price range, the owners are asking around $20k and I was wondering if that is a little too expensive btw cars are under 30 k miles but no warranty. (KBB around 20 too but I am not sure if I am suppose to pay the kbb value)

Second question is can a get a gm extended warranty on the car even though its original warranty is expired and how much would that cost me for a 5 year/60k miles warranty assuming the car has 20 k miles on it and it is a 2010.

Third question: is there anything specific that I should be looking for as far as the recall fixes go or any other chronic issues that may the car have.

And my biggest concern is I will be moving to Columbus Ohio and my Camaro will be my daily driver. Are snow tires a must?

If there is anything else that I should know about a 2010 v6 Camaro I would really appreciate the input. This is my dream car and I have been saving up for it for quite some time!

Appreciate the help!
tritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
NADA.com and KBB.com are a good place to start to get some prices.
don't jump at the first car you "fall in love with" I've done that in the past and got burned.
Keep your wits about you, go in with your brain, not your heart.

Depending on mileage and options, $20K-ish is about right for a '10 2LT/RS.
My car still values at around $21,500.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I am against extended warranties, though i got sucked into a wheel / tire warranty on this current Camaro. A car salesman buddy of mine says that the Edmunds number sare what they always looked at, for whatever that is worth. Good luck!

Last edited by gajagfan; 12-11-2014 at 04:46 PM.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
The 20,000 sounds bout right but always haggle for a lower price because they will most of the time go lower! But recalls for a 2010 V6 ? I don't remember but always can go to the recall section or type it in online and are you buying the car from a private owner or dealership?
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
If you're planning on moving here I would just wait till you get here and then you have the option to buy a V8 for a little more if not there are plenty of V6s that are around that range. As for snow tires, Columbus has a fare share of snow days but nothing like on what the north of Ohio gets. Snow tires would be a safe bet since it will be your DD cause you never know when it will hit or how hard. I'm in northeast Ohio and we get a lot more snow than the south of Ohio. Even if it doesn't snow hard and it's only a couple inches you will be able to handle the car just fine.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
tritus

Drives: RIP Camaro/ 6g Mustang GT/Hellcat
Thanks for all the responses.

I am planning on buying from a PO since I do not want to pay the dealer fees etc.

I also do not have that much experience with dealers ,I found a v8 2SS for around $25k(2010 20k milage). If a dealer is asking for 25k should I expect to negotiate the price down a little if so how much would be reasonable.

As I mentioned I am really excited about this and I am afraid that I will just jump at the first car that I sit in.

I am really concerned about the warranty tho because I just graduated from college and with moving and everything I do not have too much money sitting around.
tritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
You could ask for 23k but since you are moving to a snow belt area, go with the V6 it would make things a lot easier and a bit cheaper to. I think snow tires for the V8 are close to 1k not including any wheels. Go with your best judgement and shop around first then make your choice, if you have the money for the V8 and not worried about gas prices then by all means go for it. And congrats with college, stay within your budget you'll know you bought the right car cause everything will feel just right.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
el-guapin
Trust No One!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS
You have already received good info on pricing. As for the warranty.. you CANNOT purchase a GM warranty once the OG warranty has expired. My 2010 was around $20k with 19200k miles. I could not purchase the GM warranty for the reasons stated. You can, however, purchase aftermarket warranties. Shop around if you really want one.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
SCREAMING EAGLE

Drives: 2012 CAMARO 2SS 45TH,L99
You specifically asked about a GM WARRANTY WHICH IS CALLED A GENERAL MOTORS PROTECTION PLAL OR GMPP. The answer is NO. Once the factory warranty is out you cannot purchase a GM (GMPP) warranty.

Your best bet if the warranty is that important is to find a Chevy dealer and purchase a car with the certified pre-owned warranty (CPO).This warranty will run for 12 months BASIC and up to 100Kmiles for powertrain and will pay for basic maintenance for 2 years and provide roadside assistance.Dealers also provide further extended warranties and they are typically better than what you can do on line.

Personally I dont recommend them because they are expensive,but for you may be a good way to go especially if you finance the car because they can be included in your financing.I strongly recommend you use a credit union if financing as they have their own in house extended warranties which are typically better for less than a dealer. GOOD LUCK.
SCREAMING EAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Check a LOT of sources, for instance a dealer here in VA has a 2LT/RS for 19.7K with 29k miles. I bet they would sell for 19 or less. DO not rule out a dealer, I do not think they have additional fees. The KBB and NADA are not even used here by most of the VA dealers, they look at the auction prices. Winter is generally a good time to buy a performance car, because they sell fewer of them.

Good luck!

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Do yourself 1 big favor, if the exterior appearance is important to you, either buy one with or put on yourself.

Clear bra on front, rock/splashguards on front tires.

Your paint will surely thank you.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=tritus;8109021]Thanks for all the responses.

I am planning on buying from a PO since I do not want to pay the dealer fees etc.

I also do not have that much experience with dealers ,I found a v8 2SS for around $25k(2010 20k milage). If a dealer is asking for 25k should I expect to negotiate the price down a little if so how much would be reasonable.

Oh, ok ! I would say buy from the dealer because you can always go back or find that dealer and the GM customer service reps on this site ready to go to war for you against dealers! Unless you know the car has been taken care of or you trust the person the headaches aren't worth saving a few bucks! Especially, if you you're not rich lol....

Always start a 3k or 2k less than what the dealer is asking , they know that ppl will try to haggle them down on the price so they actually ask for more than what they would take! They're good at playing that back and forth game with buyers especially if they see that you're excited about it! Good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
KINGRENZ

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
I will try to help best i can and this is just my opinion.
For the price you can find a used ss for close to that price( maybe a couple thousand more but worth it.
If you rather have the v6 cool.
But everyone I knew wish they got the SS at least. Nothing against the v6. BUT IF YOU CAN GET THE SS FOR THE PRICE WOULD YOU WANT IT?

Extended Warranty has its pros and cons. I am into modding so warranty is out. However I got some bad mechanics . Just think about that cause it can be a issue. I felt they was always a gimmick anyway though. And that's my take.
I am sure some extended is good but .....yea- i will never get it!

recalls - all cars can have some kind of issue-just take care of what you get and stay on top of any maintenance and so on and so on.

I am in COLUMBUS OHIO and everyone is different.
For me .. I feel a front wheel drive is a must in the snow.
I had a monte carlo ss 2007 . Loved it but traded it for my camaro SS.
I had a 95 Impala SS- Lt1 and it sucked bad. I had couple other rear wheel drive cars but again snow tires did not help much.
I recommend skip the snow tires and put that towards getting your self another car.
snow- salt- walmart karts- you get the point
Putting something heavy in the trunk really does help.

And you said this will be your dream car then I would get a beater.
I am a great driver ( not to be cocky) but here in OHIO its OTHER PEOPLE Driving you got to watch for.
People don't care - and they wont see you and it don't matter the weather. so get great brakes.

WHEN it gets bad stay on the school bus routes they get plowed and clean first. Main streets gets clean.
If you get a job get hours before traffic if you can.

ALso my cuss got a rs 2014 v6 camaro and he spun out alot and sled in the snow and he got snow tires. one winter was enough for him. He went and got a second car.
Just advise - not to engage anyone in any online battle- just my take

GOOD LUCK
Harvey Dent- Dark Night Feeling

Last edited by KINGRENZ; 12-11-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added something
KINGRENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

V6 , V8 ? Get what makes you happy because I had a V6 and was more than happy with it ! And the Gen 5 Camaro's is my dream car too ! Well , 2010 to 13 but yea! I only traded for my SS because that was what I wanted ! I didn't want a ZL1 nor a 1LE even though I want a 1LE beside my SS! There's alot of ppl on this forum that was here since 2007 and they ordered a V6 and still have it ! And they're more than happy with it! The V6 has enough HP for any body but it's all about you!