Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
Cody2399

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 2004 Dodge Ram 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2014rs/ss View Post
Also only cost me 30 bucks for local exhaust shop to cut out and put in a piece of stainless pipe in there place.. those are some extremely ugly and fairly heavy mufflers.. also about a 5 on the sound scale.
Thanks a lot for the info I really appreciate it!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #16
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2399 View Post
Thank you for the input, is it that little of a difference on a 3-5 jump? For some reason I was under the impression that it would be much louder like at least a 7 or an 8. Nothing like you see on YouTube when you type in loudest camaro exhausts and those things just blow the mic off of the cameras used to record them haha.

On my v6 I just put some different mufflers on them. They were flowmasters and it sounded really nice, but with this being a v8 I want to have a much more sound roar, is there any way to get something like this by simply replacing the mufflers like I did with my v6? Or is a 7-8 sound on the scale not possible that way, and am I going to have to do an entire exhaust system?
The resonated x-pipe, which is actually a dual in/dual out muffler with perforated pipes leading into and out of an x-pipe, tones down the exhaust quite a bit. It does this by a) sound absorption and b) noise cancellation.

There's a pretty big difference in a straight muffler delete between the LS3 system and the L99 system. The L99 employs a large resonator to compensate for AFM. The LS3 system only has two small bullet resonators. Thus a muffler delete on the LS3 is going to be much louder and more raspy.

I can't really tell you what a simple delete would sound like on the Ls3 from experience. However, I did a delete on my '96 LT4 Corvette, and while it sounded great at WOT or idle, anything in between was rather annoying with it's high pitched raspy tone, and lots of resonation and drone. I put a resonated x-pipe on that it was perfect. Granted, different engine, different displacement, different firing order, hell, different car. But I'm happy with how this turned out. Like I said though, if I eventually put headers on it, I'll want some mufflers out back. Stock cats absorb a ton of sound.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
Cody2399

Thanks Chris, that'll definitely be something to consider considering I have the manual transmission
Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2399 View Post
With all due respect, I had my v6 for 5 years and all I did with it was cosmetic modifications *(and a muffler swap to flow masters). I am a 23 year old college student, who farms with his family, I will be driving it to school every day once that starts up again in September, it is a daily driver not a car I'm going to take to a track and try to race. I have no interest in modding this car just as I had no interest in modding my v6. I appreciate the input, but what bothers me is assuming things. (I worded that wrong and it sounds disrespectful and i apologize) I simply wanted to hear from people who have done a muffler delete and what they thought of it. Again I have no interest in doing anything else to this car.

*edit
No disrespect intended from my point. Your post is soooo common. And a true search would reveal tons of threads and vids of muffler delete/axle back.
Like so many, you preface it with "I want to keep it stock," then next sentece is "I want to alter my exhaust."
And a good 99% of those folks who make the "I don't want headers," claim will be posting several months later with " what's the best headers....or my car is too loud."
Again, I apologize if I came off gruff.
Back to topic. Mufflers will only mildly change the tone...everything else will stay stock sounding simply due to the nature of the LS motor. Maybe your best bet is removing those bullet resonators near the back. Might be cheapest route. The ls3 mufflers are pretty much a straight through design anyhow.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Cody2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
No disrespect intended from my point. Your post is soooo common. And a true search would reveal tons of threads and vids of muffler delete/axle back.
Like so many, you preface it with "I want to keep it stock," then next sentece is "I want to alter my exhaust."
And a good 99% of those folks who make the "I don't want headers," claim will be posting several months later with " what's the best headers....or my car is too loud."
Again, I apologize if I came off gruff.
Back to topic. Mufflers will only mildly change the tone...everything else will stay stock sounding simply due to the nature of the LS motor. Maybe your best bet is removing those bullet resonators near the back. Might be cheapest route. The ls3 mufflers are pretty much a straight through design anyhow.
I'm sure having been on the forum as long as you have and as active as you are you've seen it so often which is why you are writing this stuff to me and you are just trying to save me the hassle in the future and I appreciate that. Now what if I did a muffler delete and removed those resonators? I'll do a bit of a better search after work and see if I can't find something that I'd be happy with. Thanks for getting back to me!