Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
Jeffok

Drives: 2017 SS Camaro
AC blows on front window causing constant condensation on windshield!

I live in the south and my 2017 2SS blows fully chilled air to the front windshield. It's not supposed to do that. Dealer admits it's not right but has no remedy. They called tech support with no help. The condensation is terrible to the point of dangerous driving. They say the problem is the steep angle of windshield, duuuu the Corvette has it too! I have seen multiple pictures on the Camaro 6 forums with same issues. I feel stuck with a $52,000 problem? Several people I know with 2016/2017 having same issues. Help anyone?
Jeffok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
If its blowing out the defrost vents that can be fixed. Damper doors not sealing.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
There is another thread about this issue, and the simple fix was to get a piece of floor board molding from Lowes or Home Depot and cut it to fit over the windshield vent. I don't think it covers completely, just partially. Since this is very simple, I would think GM will come out with a similar solution in the future.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
2slow95vert

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
The air blowing out of my defroster vents is much cooler than the rest of the vents. Also if I set the temp to 75 sometimes it blows warm air, sometimes cool. Bringing it to the dealer this week.
2slow95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Mine does it too! Sucks going from AC to defrost in the middle of the summer!
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
There is another thread about this issue, and the simple fix was to get a piece of floor board molding from Lowes or Home Depot and cut it to fit over the windshield vent. I don't think it covers completely, just partially. Since this is very simple, I would think GM will come out with a similar solution in the future.
Yes. Tons of discussion on this.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

WTF kind of a fix is that? That's a hillbilly hack dude! Or another term I've heard since I was a kid but I might get banned for using the word lol.

Maybe you do that if you're dirt poor driving a 1984 Pontiac 1000 that's a rotted out pile of garbage. But not on a brand new car, especially one under warranty.

You fix it RIGHT by fixing the problem!! Replacing the faulty part inside the damper. There's no such thing as a "simple fix" on anything for me. It's always done right.

Sheesh.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

WTF kind of a fix is that? That's a hillbilly hack dude! Or another term I've heard since I was a kid but I might get banned for using the word lol.

Maybe you do that if you're dirt poor driving a 1984 Pontiac 1000 that's a rotted out pile of garbage. But not on a brand new car, especially one under warranty.

You fix it RIGHT by fixing the problem!! Replacing the faulty part inside the damper. There's no such thing as a "simple fix" on anything for me. It's always done right.

Sheesh.
That is the current fix...

Also the search function works. Many many threads about this. You can kind of figure out from them what temp you need to be at if you don't want to cover your vents...at least until/if gm comes out with a fix

Just sayin
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
tchowe

Drives: 2017 V6 Camaro RS
Quote:

Sheesh.
Same story, same response, different thread lol

But in seriousness yeah it's annoying, just gotta hope GM comes up with a fix in the future.
tchowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:

Sheesh.
Read the other thread, that hillbilly hack is most likely the only thing that will work until GM comes up with a TSB/permanent fix, but please feel free to run your car back to the dealer and let them tear into your dash.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
MotownBoy

Drives: 2017 2SS Stick Hyper Blue
GM is behind the curve if this is a common problem as it sounds. WTF
MotownBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
26 page thread on this already

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...458990&page=26
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post

Thank you KirkH, beat me to the punch.

To the OP, I guarantee that they won't fix anything for you. Trust me, I lost 6+ weeks of my car over this, GM confirmed that, yes, air does leak out of the defrost vents, but it is working as intended and they will not do anything to fix this as they believe there isn't a problem.

To others, sorry that our "hillbilly hack" doesn't cut it for some, but guess what? I'm not going to be the moron driving around with my windshield completely fogged up because GM messed up and didn't test these cars in areas with high dew points. If they won't fess up and fix it, I'm going to fix it so I don't get into an effing accident. And guess what? It blends into the dash and you don't even notice it unless you point it out to people.

I hate this problem as much as anyone else here, and am pissed that GM refuses to admit this is an issue, but I'd rather come up with my own fix than get into an accident just to prove a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
Quote:
What is floor board molding? My solution was to get A piece of 1/4 inch neoprene and Cut it to fit the vent. It works great. Doesn't look that bad. I did find that I had to get a 1 inch Velcro piece to fix it to the dash or it moved around.
Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, condensation