Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #15
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post

Yeah BTR. The night fury is one of the most aggressive cams you can get without sacrificing driveability. It consistently puts up good numbers and sounds amazing. One of the best shelf cams you can by in my opinion. But I think since you are looking for very particular things, you might wanna go custom grind that way all of the things on your check list will be hit, rather than here and there. Pat G I've heard will spec you an excellent custom grind cam for ~$25

Also, cam motion is supposed to be one of the higher end companies for creating the cam's due to the material being used. From what I've heard anyway haha.
Some reading material on Pat G and cam motion: http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft-help
Nightfury is a decent cam, but don't base your decision off the numbers you see on this forum. I have said before that you will sacrifice some low end torque with this cam and it will be pretty good up top. If that's what you want, go for it. It does sound great though lol.
jeff657756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #16
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
[QUOTE=Gunmetal Speedster;9523234]
Quote:

Yeah BTR. The night fury is one of the most aggressive cams you can get without sacrificing driveability. It consistently puts up good numbers and sounds amazing. One of the best shelf cams you can by in my opinion. But I think since you are looking for very particular things, you might wanna go custom grind that way all of the things on your check list will be hit, rather than here and there. Pat G I've heard will spec you an excellent custom grind cam for ~$25

Also, cam motion is supposed to be one of the higher end companies for creating the cam's due to the material being used. From what I've heard anyway haha.
Some reading material on Pat G and cam motion: http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft-help
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Let's clarify a few things.

BTR is Brian Tooley Racing.

Pat G. is http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft-help

Lethal Racing is Out of business.

Lethal Racing designed and marketed the Night Furry Camshaft, the same profile can still be purchased by BTR.

Cam Motion is a top designer and manufacturer of LS camshafts.

FAST makes intake manifolds for all LS heads and several throttle body sizes.

I would suggest that you do a lot more reading and research before buying a bunch of mismatched parts that wont get you to your goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
I asked the same questions for about a year before I decided to go with the Brian Tooley Stage 3 N/A cam. I daily drive my Camaro and have very little issues with it bucking under low RPM's. You can check out my build thread, it has video, and hopefully it helps. Just skip to the very last page of my build thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=275478&page=7
I'm really leaning toward the Night Fury cam, considering the heads will flow good enough to make the numbers I would like to see.
I'd be happy with the numbers it says it puts out, if just the cam would give me 70 more HP and 40 lbs ft more of torque, because I can't afford to go any deeper at this point.

The FAST manifold, I know they make several types, but as I stated, a friend has one he didn't use, he went with another type, and it's for sale, I'm guessing a lot lower then the original price. That's why I was asking if it would fit my LS3, that was for and LS7 cathedral port heads, and I believe it will not work with the stock LS3 heads.
If not I'm keeping the stock manifold on it now until I buy CNC ported heads next year, but I have to strengthen the diff with a ZL1 Diff, Axles, hubs, shaft, etc. After I broke an axle at the track and driveshaft bolt broke another time, so I upped to the DSS shaft and axles. I also broke the axle gears and cracked the ring and pinion in my stock diff, but I bought a good used one to hold me off until I upgrade that.
I was or still may put the Hammerhead diff in it, but I hear there breaking and swapping to the ZL1 or 9'' differentials.
Well I have full 3'' exhaust, but only 1 3/4 headers that will be replaced to 2'' headers by American Racing.
I hope the 1 3/4'' headers don't hold back to much horsepower, May get a little more torque with them, but there history after next year.
I'll keep you posted what I decide, and with the help from everybody that who chimed in, I really appreciate it, thanks again!
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #17
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
[QUOTE=10 2SS/RS 6M;9523566]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post

I'm really leaning toward the Night Fury cam, considering the heads will flow good enough to make the numbers I would like to see.
I'd be happy with the numbers it says it puts out, if just the cam would give me 70 more HP and 40 lbs ft more of torque, because I can't afford to go any deeper at this point.

The FAST manifold, I know they make several types, but as I stated, a friend has one he didn't use, he went with another type, and it's for sale, I'm guessing a lot lower then the original price. That's why I was asking if it would fit my LS3, that was for and LS7 cathedral port heads, and I believe it will not work with the stock LS3 heads.
If not I'm keeping the stock manifold on it now until I buy CNC ported heads next year, but I have to strengthen the diff with a ZL1 Diff, Axles, hubs, shaft, etc. After I broke an axle at the track and driveshaft bolt broke another time, so I upped to the DSS shaft and axles. I also broke the axle gears and cracked the ring and pinion in my stock diff, but I bought a good used one to hold me off until I upgrade that.
I was or still may put the Hammerhead diff in it, but I hear there breaking and swapping to the ZL1 or 9'' differentials.
Well I have full 3'' exhaust, but only 1 3/4 headers that will be replaced to 2'' headers by American Racing.
I hope the 1 3/4'' headers don't hold back to much horsepower, May get a little more torque with them, but there history after next year.
I'll keep you posted what I decide, and with the help from everybody that who chimed in, I really appreciate it, thanks again!
Our L92 Stage 2C camshaft sounds like a winner for your combo.
224 236 .620" .620" 117
Like the other forum member mentioned we have the -HL version that compliments a CNC head. .646" .646"
Which we have great outright heads as well as killer deals on head porting & assembly of your castings.
If your looking for TQ and throttle response our Stage 1.5 heads may be the winner for you.
These are for people not going larger on displacement or a power adder.
They feature a CNC exhaust port, CNC valve job,milling, our spring package assembled.
If a stroker or power adder is in the future our full program is the way to go as it adds a CNC intake runner to the mix. greater flow #'s but a drop less airspeed
when it comes to an intake manifold we offer o.e. intake porting as well as o.e. TB porting that is worth more HP than that aftermarket intake your looking at for less dollars than getting one new proh used seller dependent.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
10 2SS/RS 6M

[QUOTE=Livernois Motorsports;9523711]
Quote:

Our L92 Stage 2C camshaft sounds like a winner for your combo.
224 236 .620" .620" 117
Like the other forum member mentioned we have the -HL version that compliments a CNC head. .646" .646"
Which we have great outright heads as well as killer deals on head porting & assembly of your castings.
If your looking for TQ and throttle response our Stage 1.5 heads may be the winner for you.
These are for people not going larger on displacement or a power adder.
They feature a CNC exhaust port, CNC valve job,milling, our spring package assembled.
If a stroker or power adder is in the future our full program is the way to go as it adds a CNC intake runner to the mix. greater flow #'s but a drop less airspeed
when it comes to an intake manifold we offer o.e. intake porting as well as o.e. TB porting that is worth more HP than that aftermarket intake your looking at for less dollars than getting one new proh used seller dependent.
I definitely do plan on upgrading to more power as the money comes in.
I was thinking about getting a centrifugal supercharger, possibly ProCharger or the Novi from ECS, and ported heads of course.
I would love to do it all at once, but The cam is what my plan is at this time, I have another car, so it isn't or doesn't have to be driven every day, but I'm not 20-30 years old anymore, but I'm still a full fledged motorhead! I just want the most out of it, I don't want to over cam it, but if and when I do plan on using a blower, It will be done all at once, but buying a house is more important at this time.
I really would like to go with the Night Fury cam, if the heads will flow well enough, I just don't want to over cam it, the thing so many people do that don't understand the way the engine works and how Important it is to have everything matched together. I would love to see some dyno charts with various cams, opposed to the stock cam.
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
[QUOTE=10 2SS/RS 6M;9523927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post

I definitely do plan on upgrading to more power as the money comes in.
I was thinking about getting a centrifugal supercharger, possibly ProCharger or the Novi from ECS, and ported heads of course.
I would love to do it all at once, but The cam is what my plan is at this time, I have another car, so it isn't or doesn't have to be driven every day, but I'm not 20-30 years old anymore, but I'm still a full fledged motorhead! I just want the most out of it, I don't want to over cam it, but if and when I do plan on using a blower, It will be done all at once, but buying a house is more important at this time.
I really would like to go with the Night Fury cam, if the heads will flow well enough, I just don't want to over cam it, the thing so many people do that don't understand the way the engine works and how Important it is to have everything matched together. I would love to see some dyno charts with various cams, opposed to the stock cam.
well seeing that you have a short throw in you sig.
I'm confident you have a stickshift so you can get away with a little more than a person trying to run a o.e. converter
We love prochargers and sell and install them regularly.
So make sure you check with us before making a purchase.
We have the heads covered in a variety of ways.
I have no data on a competitor camshaft as it's my job to sway you towards our proven stuff.
As far as dyno charts go I recommend checking out our YouTube channel as we have hundreds of builds on there with before and after results and sometimes idle clips as well.
This would give you a good idea on sound and performance.
here is one we did many moons ago, there are a bunch there this is the first I saw.

https://youtu.be/32NSt63KA18
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
GPI SS3! Nobody really talks about this cam much, but just search this forum for GPI SS3. That's the cam I want.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #21
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I always recommend keeping the intake duration in the 22X* range for a street driven app.
I run the BTR 3 in my car.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #22
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_RS View Post
GPI SS3! Nobody really talks about this cam much, but just search this forum for GPI SS3. That's the cam I want.
Do you have the specs or a link to see it?
Thanks

I was just reading about the Tick performance polluter cam, has anyone tried this cam? results?
It seems like Matt at Tick performance has perfected a cam for the stock LS3 square port heads, with only 3'' exhaust and a CAI it made 483.46 at it looks like 6500 RPM and 439 ft of torque at around 4500, but 400 ftlbs, starting at 3500 RPM"S?
But the thread was almost 4 years old!
SOLD.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #23
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Quote:
Do you have the specs or a link to see it?
Thanks

I was just reading about the Tick performance polluter cam, has anyone tried this cam? results?
It seems like Matt at Tick performance has perfected a cam for the stock LS3 square port heads, with only 3'' exhaust and a CAI it made 483.46 at it looks like 6500 RPM and 439 ft of torque at around 4500, but 400 ftlbs, starting at 3500 RPM"S?
But the thread was almost 4 years old!

Don't have the specs but here is a thread on both there SS2 and SS3 cam on LS3 camaros. Hell the SS2 even has power throughout the band.

I copied and pasted from Rhino79 @ GPI "The SS2 is a 227/241 and the SS3 is a 231/245. I have them cut on different LSA and ICL from time to time depending on what the customer is wanting.

Our SS1 is a 223/237.

They all drive good, the ss3 will obviously have a touch more low rpm cam surge than the other 2 but with good tuning its not bad at all."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357566
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #24
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
[QUOTE=10 2SS/RS 6M;9523096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Livernois 2c cam is what I've decided on , they do make a 2c high lift that's good for 15whp more but the lift is at .649" and would be harder on the valve springs

Do you know the specs on it, I'll sacrifice 15 HP if it kills the bottom end, due to being a DD.
I love the sound of the Night Fury cam though, but numbers speak louder then rumbles.

227/236 117 lsa .600 lift livernois 2c , 227/236 117lsa .649 lift livernois 2c hi lift
Old 01-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #25
davidscamaro

The intake under 230 and a wider lsa 116 to 118 is what you are looking for to have great drive ability
Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #26
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
The intake under 230 and a wider lsa 116 to 118 is what you are looking for to have great drive ability
Drivability isn't much of an issue, well it is nice to have some bottom end with a little lope up to 2K rpm, I've been driving it with the stock cam for 6 years, I want to change things up now that I have the money to do it.
I understand what you mean, and would be nice if I wanted it that way.
What my concern is what duration is best for the stock flowing heads. If they can handle a 234 and 244, 114-116 LSA and make as much power as these heads can flow without any restriction, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. But I don't want to see no bottom end either. Don't know if this is possible yet.
But I hear these heads are lazy at low end and even mid range, but scream on top, a little to peaky for a stock head and cam combo from the factory, but still makes plenty part throttle torque
I cant see a lot of duration, pulling from a light at a thousand rpm's like it does now, but wide open there's nothing there, the hp really don't start showing it's colors till around 4000 rpm's, and 4700 rpm"s is petty hi for a torque peak, on a stock motor. I think GM was really trying hard to break the 400 hp mark and left the WOT bottom end and mid a little sloppy, I don't know why they didn't use the cathedral port heads, they seem to have a way broader power band that pulls hard low mid and hi rpm's then the L92 LS3 heads, from what I been reading.
SOLD.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #27
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts View Post
Depends on how aggressive you want to go. We have mad 450-490rwhp cam only depending on cam/bolt ons.

Give us a call or send an email if you are looking to have a shop do the install. Or if you just need the tune after. We are not to far south of you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479757

(302)838-2188
Horsepoweraddicts@gmail.com
I would love to go with some boost. But I'm figuring around $4k-$6K for something like that, I'd even go used if the price is right, but I want to cam it no matter what.
I just thought I'd throw that in. I love N/A horsepower but love the bottom to mid torque, boost would give it!
Nothing like a screaming N/A motor though.
SOLD.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #28
davidscamaro

Quote:
Drivability isn't much of an issue, well it is nice to have some bottom end with a little lope up to 2K rpm, I've been driving it with the stock cam for 6 years, I want to change things up now that I have the money to do it.
I understand what you mean, and would be nice if I wanted it that way.
What my concern is what duration is best for the stock flowing heads. If they can handle a 234 and 244, 114-116 LSA and make as much power as these heads can flow without any restriction, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. But I don't want to see no bottom end either. Don't know if this is possible yet.
But I hear these heads are lazy at low end and even mid range, but scream on top, a little to peaky for a stock head and cam combo from the factory, but still makes plenty part throttle torque
I cant see a lot of duration, pulling from a light at a thousand rpm's like it does now, but wide open there's nothing there, the hp really don't start showing it's colors till around 4000 rpm's, and 4700 rpm"s is petty hi for a torque peak, on a stock motor. I think GM was really trying hard to break the 400 hp mark and left the WOT bottom end and mid a little sloppy, I don't know why they didn't use the cathedral port heads, they seem to have a way broader power band that pulls hard low mid and hi rpm's then the L92 LS3 heads, from what I been reading.

I agree the cathedral port heads give way more off idle power it seems , must be the intake ports driving it there with there narrow tall port