Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
GM has basically changed their warranty to equal most other OEMs, Toyota included. So there is nothing anyone can use against them for this.

Key is, they weren't selling any more cars for the 100,000 mile warranty. Likely supported by the reduction in Cadillac powertrain warranty a couple of years ago. Guessing that didn't hurt sales so it would support this move.

Not indication of lesser quality at all. Think of it this way. All cars have problems. They have them throughout their useful lives. GM is simply saving money on normal warranty, not necessarily better or worse than the completion. This saves them $$ and allows them to plow that back into product development for better products down the road.

Plain and simple. If they were selling more cars for the 100,000 mile warranty (already reduced on Cadillac in 2013) then they would have continued the warranty.
I do have the impression that the U.S. manufacturers have done a great job in improving their quality in recent years. Just from my own experiences of my father having very bad luck with all the American vehicles he ever owned (including his 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee) I myself have owned 6 Japanese, 1 German, no American. If my plan to buy a Camaro comes to fruition, it will be my first American.

By the way, MSN Autos just did a story about 30 VEHICLES WITH THE MOST NORTH AMERICAN-MADE PARTS, only one Ford in the list, many GM, Honda and Toyota.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/resea...rts/ss-BBhT7Dd

Anyway, yes the 5 year 60 does seem to be the industry standard so probably not a big deal.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
I agree with this comment other than a few quick points. The first is that Hyundai's powertrain warranty goes to 5 year/ 60k miles for anyone other than the first owner. Also, people don't know that their 60k "bumper to bumper" warranty only covers electronics for 3 years / 36k miles.

The second is that Hyundai/Kia's warranty isn't worth much while you have. My fiancee and I both had Hyundai/Kia cars at one point in the last couple years, and they won't fix ANYTHING until something is broken. Hard shifts are "normal," as are moldy smelling AC, turbo wastegates out of spec, wandering steering, malfunctioning electronics, and general poor performance in any weather over 75 degrees.

GM changing its warranty to fall in line with most of its competitors is just fine with me. Its not like they went back to their 3/36 warranty, although I wish they would do a 5 year, 60k bumper to bumper warranty instead of a 4 year, 50k bumper to bumper and 5 year, 60k powertrain. I've never had a car with engine problems, its always the electronics that seem to give me issues.
I had heard this before about Hyundai/Kia but didn't know it was that bad. Both are hard to find any parts for as well making owning them in the long run a very expensive ordeal.

What's interesting as I received a survey from JD Power asking about rating warranties in a car buying situation. I filled out the survey much like GM discusses in the reason for the change in the article. Warranty ranked very low on my decision tree when buying a car. Perceived quality and reliability seem to be more important to me than a long warranty, 1) most people don't keep cars beyond 4-6 years now 2) who wants a car that needs to be in the shop half time, warranty or not. So if I don't feel a brand is very reliable (looking at Dodge) I could care less what their warranty period is. With that said I feel all the American brands have made big steps in quality and reliability compared to just a few years ago.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I had heard this before about Hyundai/Kia but didn't know it was that bad. Both are hard to find any parts for as well making owning them in the long run a very expensive ordeal.

What's interesting as I received a survey from JD Power asking about rating warranties in a car buying situation. I filled out the survey much like GM discusses in the reason for the change in the article. Warranty ranked very low on my decision tree when buying a car. Perceived quality and reliability seem to be more important to me than a long warranty, 1) most people don't keep cars beyond 4-6 years now 2) who wants a car that needs to be in the shop half time, warranty or not. So if I don't feel a brand is very reliable (looking at Dodge) I could care less what their warranty period is. With that said I feel all the American brands have made big steps in quality and reliability compared to just a few years ago.
Agreed. I don't care how long the warranty is if the car was built to last. On the flip side, I can see how someone would perceive a car with a longer warranty as being one of better quality. It makes them feel like the manufacturer is standing behind its product.

GM may have shorter warranties and its recall issues, but the 4 dealers i have experience with would always source and fix any complaints I had if they could. I have had service techs ride a long with me to try to recreate issues numerous times. If I had an issue fixed while under warranty, the dealers would fix it again under warranty if the problem happened again outside of warranty. To me, that's more valuable than a longer warranty where the company never fixes the problem until the part in question is completely inoperable. That's why I'm willing to give GM another shot, despite owning a vehicle that was terrible by all accounts.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
I agree with this comment other than a few quick points. The first is that Hyundai's powertrain warranty goes to 5 year/ 60k miles for anyone other than the first owner. Also, people don't know that their 60k "bumper to bumper" warranty only covers electronics for 3 years / 36k miles.
I stand corrected.

But either way, GM has an awesome warranty.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #19
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
I stand corrected.

But either way, GM has an awesome warranty.
Agreed. I wanted to make sure the detractors knew that the "industry leading" warranty comes with a lot of fine print.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:44 AM   #20
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Who here really keeps within warranty requirements for more than a year anyway? V6 owners?
Month 1- buy car.
Month 2- long tubes and cam.
Month 3- what warranty???

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #21
Optimus

Drives: Former 2010 and 2013 Camaro owner
The change has no influence on me buying a new GM product with the exception of maybe a diesel. I remember when Ford changed their diesel warranty from 100 down to 60. In their case, they had to because they were getting hammered with claims on the 6.4.

With that said, this move also makes the extended warranty from GM look more attractive as you are extending your powertrain warranty from 60 to 100 so it looks like the extended warranty is adding another 40K on the engine/tranny - They should see a bump in sales...
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
wrong, you can say all what you want but people will see this as GM confirmation of the popular myth of Chevy being a cheap end ordinary car... just when they started to change this with cars like the Z06 and he C7, the SS etc.. they reduce the warranty, I see this as a very negative move, and something other companies with better warranty will push against, while companies with the current "standard" warranty will trash Chevy and say- "oh they low they warranty, that's bad sign" stuff like this can influence buyers minds... besides this also affect a important market like the Latino market in FL where the Latino is used to buy a car and keep it much longer than the average American, this is where a longer and more complete warranty its key to get a car, (at least from my latin family point of view) not happy... not happy at all
Sorry, not wrong. In fact there would be some people that would go, "what is wrong with your product that you have to offer a much bigger warranty than Ford or Toyota?"

This will be a non-issue and the data supports it.

Do you think Toyota (60,000 miles) and Honda (60,000 miles) and Ford (60,000 miles) are poor quality cars? Is there something wrong with GM that they have to offer a longer warranty?

Sure some people aren't happy. But GM was getting no added sales or benefit for absorbing significantly more cost than the key competitors.

GM is in the business of making money, not having the best warranty coverage. Throwing extra money at every car and getting no sales benefit for it is bad business and bad for making money.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #23
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Damn agree with number 3 again so eloquently stated. That's what I meant in my early post about no being need ed.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #24
YoungGun1993

Drives: Pontiac G6
GM estimates the cost of warranty expenses for every vehicle when setting the purchase price. Having lower warranty costs will reduce the cost of the Camaro (from their perspective). They'll then have to determine if savings will be passed along to the consumer or go towards their publicly announced 10% EBIT target. We'll hope it's the latter.
YoungGun1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #25
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Warranty isn't my main concern when buying a car. Precieved dependability and design are.

My wife's last three cars have been Hondas because I got burnt on a GM car in the 90s. I have driven GM to get rear drive, V8 and manual trans.

I believe again that GM builds quality cars and will look to them again when the wife needs a new car.

FYI - she had a 2002 Toyota that we dumped after 2 years. Oil leaks that they wouldn't fix, rattling interior and a drivers seat track that clunked forward and backward at every stop. Pisa Sh!t

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #26
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Lightbulb

This is really the wrong direction for GM, IMHO. The better option for me though would be to have more years than miles, as my warranty mileage tends to be lower than I could utilize.

I would like to see GM be a leader, more like Hyundai & Kia's 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain coverage...
Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #27
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
As someone whose powertrain warranty often lapses before 3000 miles I am perfectly happy not paying for the additional 40,000 miles.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #28
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Lightbulb

I can see why GM should perhaps offer additional years/miles warranty packages as another sticker option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
As someone whose powertrain warranty often lapses before 3000 miles I am perfectly happy not paying for the additional 40,000 miles.

Laborsmith