Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-17-2022, 10:53 PM   #15
jlsat3

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Yes. I called the state Ref. Only way is to swap the ECU to one with no DOD, but that won't work because it's also a LS3 manual version so you would need to mod that even more for the L99, don't even think it would work. So I rebuilt back to stock. Now I'm driving it around to ready the monitors. I expect a CEL to pop up any day because it happen last time when I removed my CAI, LTHs, and detuned. So I'll have to wait and see and fix whatever was wrong so I can pass smog.
jlsat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #16
smwalker

Drives: Caprice PPV
If you get a check engine light with the factory tune I would reload your modified tune and give a try at passing. All it is is just a fail now, there is not a ref appointment associated with it anymore. Another member on here reported passing OK with a tune. I am just not sure the extent of each of your tunes.

What that other member wrote: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=17

I do not think the AFM base engines are getting the same scrutiny when it comes to tuning the ECU.
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:15 PM   #17
smwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsat3 View Post
Yes. I called the state Ref. Only way is to swap the ECU to one with no DOD, but that won't work because it's also a LS3 manual version so you would need to mod that even more for the L99, don't even think it would work.
What the ref is describing there is going through the engine change process. That is honestly what I thought DOD deleted people would have to do. So you would have to find another car with an AUTO and a LS3, get the ECU file from it and go through the engine change process with the ref where they would give you a referee label to do the smog check off of as opposed to your VIN.

So in your case you could say choose the Chevrolet SS automatic ECU file because that comes factory with a standard 6.2 LS3.

But I think they saw the problem with that in that so many truck and SUV owners had deleted thier DOD and installed an aftermarket tune that there would be a 6 month waiting list to get a ref appointment. So I think they just decided that AFM engines would get a pass on the modified software check. For now, they could change in the future for sure.

But any non AFM engine seems to get the fail with any change to the ECU file.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:47 PM   #18
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Anyone in SoCal got a place that will pass smog? Im tuned with LTH and intake. Please dm me. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:21 PM   #19
smwalker

> Im tuned with LTH and intake.

Dago were you able to pass ?

Tags
afm, california, dod delete, smog