Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Unhappy AC hose/line leak (Pic and video)

Hi. Drove my car for an hour yesterday. Came back home and parked it in the garage like I always do.

After I shut off the engine and get out of my car, I hear something dripping and sizzling onto a hot surface and evaporating away. I pop my hood open and see the AC line is wet and fluid leaking down. I'm assuming that's Freon and not water? A couple minutes later I hear lots of fluid dripping down from below the car towards the middle above the transmission. I believe the AC water drain is there? The fluid was clear and definitely water. It was not transmission fluid or any other fluid.

I never seen so much water come out like that from the bottom of the car. It was dripping down for a good 10 min or so and left a big puddle under there. No water coming out of my AC vents and no wet carpet. Car temps are normal and AC blowing cold.

Any thoughts on what's going on with the AC hose inside the engine? Maybe it is just condensation? Is condensation normal from that AC hose in the pic? Checked the hose the next morning and it was completely dry. Maybe its normal? I do live in a low humidity state but a thunderstorm passed shortly before driving yesterday so humidity was high.

As far as the AC drain goes, I know the AC drain is down near the transmission, but is water supposed to be draining from above the transmission like the way it is in the video? Am I just over stressing about the water from under the car and it is completely normal too? lol Thanks in advance

Last edited by TheSmokingSuns; 07-15-2017 at 11:05 PM.
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
At atmospheric pressure refrigerant will not be in liquid state. If its humid out that could be just a lot of condensation. Pressure test your system to see if you have lost any charge to the refrigerant. You should notice a decrease in a/c performance if you are losing refrigerant.

As for the condensate line off the evaporator under the car, lots of water is fine, typically that means your a/c is working well and dehumidifying the air well, which is what you want. If you lost charge in the a/c system then it would have less cooling capacity and you would see less water.

I wouldn't be concerned yet unless you notice the cooling stop working, sounds like you just had a humid day. Could get it pressure tested if you are concerned.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's just condensation.

Freon leaks are gaseous, unless there's a catastrophic failure, it which case you might see a bit of liquid before it evaporates. But also, your A/C would already be dead.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
At atmospheric pressure refrigerant will not be in liquid state. If its humid out that could be just a lot of condensation. Pressure test your system to see if you have lost any charge to the refrigerant. You should notice a decrease in a/c performance if you are losing refrigerant.

As for the condensate line off the evaporator under the car, lots of water is fine, typically that means your a/c is working well and dehumidifying the air well, which is what you want. If you lost charge in the a/c system then it would have less cooling capacity and you would see less water.

I wouldn't be concerned yet unless you notice the cooling stop working, sounds like you just had a humid day. Could get it pressure tested if you are concerned.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Awesome, thanks for your help
Old 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
It's just condensation.

Freon leaks are gaseous, unless there's a catastrophic failure, it which case you might see a bit of liquid before it evaporates. But also, your A/C would already be dead.
Sweeet, thanks for your help