Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Vidgamer

Drives: VW Golf TDI
Still shopping... Looking at 2LT

I posted here a few months ago, trying to get a plan together. I want something sporty and fun to drive. I wasn't in the financial position I wanted to be in when I started looking, but it's all good now, and I've finally been test-driving. You'd think test-driving would tell you what you need to know about a car, but I get so overwhelmed with everything going on. I'm going to need a 2nd try.

I ended up driving a 2LT w/V6. It was a lot easier to shift than I expected but not as smooth as I would like. I think it is fine, though. The view is a bit restricted, as everyone complains about, but a lot less so -- I think I could live with that too. Sounds great, looks great, and I love all of the tech features. HUD might be gimmicky, but I like that. Seemed to have everything you could possibly want in the car... except for rear headroom. Wow. It might be worse than the Mustang! I was hoping it could be used for hauling the family once in a while, not just hauling ***.

As it turns out, my family is shorter than me, so it might not be so tragic. I think I need a 2nd look.

The other thing I want to try is the 4-cyl -- it still has plenty of power, and supposedly slightly better mileage. Anyone have real daily numbers to report? I hope it gets better than the reported 20 city....

I read some recent comments -- some of you guys really don't like the 4-cyl, but I can't tell if it's because you really don't like the 4-cyl or if it's more like, "Go V8 or go home." I've had a bunch of small turbo-ed engines, so it's not so crazy to me. The V8 is just wasted on me when the 4-cyl has 0-60 more than just about any car I've driven much less owned. But, I know, I need to try it and see for myself.

Am I making this too hard? Seems hard these days to find a fun sports car ... that has some rear seat room and isn't overly expensive.
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
I am looking for something sporty too. Need some excitement, something fun to drive.
I am fine with eiather 1LT or 2LT. Dont really care for the heated seats but if it comes with it, fine. I test drove both V6 and V8 and I know I have repeated it couple of times already but just for you, V6 has enough power and it's nimbler than the V8 and more fun imo, but exhaust upgrade is a must, for me.

I test drove a 2016 Miata today, have you considered one of these? For Camaro I would go with a Auto, but on Miata I think Stick is a much better choice, so much fun to drive and the safety features were impressive on the Touring model. Much cheaper as well.

Last edited by OddJack; 12-01-2016 at 05:44 PM.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
I test drove both a V6 and Turbo 4. Both honestly felt great. I ended up going with the V6 because I really liked the Dual Mode Exhaust and in the end it wasn't much more to step up to the V6. I would have been fine with Turbo 4. My 2016 is my daily driver. I have 98 Z28 for my V8 fix.

Visibility can be a little intimidating at first. I got used to it quickly and properly set up my mirrors, no problem. I love the view out of the car and how you feel like your hunkered down inside it. The low roof line and small windows give the car such a great chopped look. Now when I get into another car I feel like I'm inside a fish bowl.

Back seats in these car would be emergency use only haha. It would get old having people climbing in and out to ride in the back on a regular basis.

Good luck!
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
My Hyper Blue Metallic 2016 2LT RS V6:

I've had my car for almost a year. Was one of the original guys to get their car first built from the 10-12-15 TPW (target production week) class.

This is the BEST car I have ever owned. PERIOD!!

It exceeded my expectations by 1,000 percent!

I was just like you not sure what I wanted. The only thing I wish I would have got was the NPP dual mode exhaust system. But, I got every other option which included the bright silver wheels, ceramic white interior (which I love), hyper blue metallic color, RS package, mylink w/ navigation, V6 engine, blade spoiler, front splitter, black bowties. The heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel was part of the Lighting/Convenience Package that I got.

If you can't afford the V8 (SS models) than I strongly recommend you definitely get the V6 and as many options as you can afford. The RS package with 20" wheels and LED headlights are well worth it.

The looks of this car are in one word: BADASS!

The stares and looks I get from people is like nothing I have ever experienced before. Somebody actually came up to me and asked me if that was the new corvette! Ha Ha!!

The driving experience, again is like nothing I have ever experienced before. THIS V6 engine with 335 h.p. is plenty quick and nimble. The brakes are awesome. I never drove a 5th gen, but everyone says that the 6th gen brakes (V6 engine) and without the brembos are a huge improvement.

IF you have any other questions about my 2LT RS V6 just ask me.

Attached Images

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:28 AM   #5
PinLover

Drives: 2017 2LT 50th, 2013 2LS
Other threads have covered this... be sure to search for them. The V8 (and the Turbo4) both require premium (91/93) gas, so be sure to figure that into the car budget. Also, V8 = higher value car & power = higher insurance rates per month for the entire time you own it. I put a more detailed comment in this thread about the V6 vs V8 in terms of lifetime cost. While some may have bought their SS for the same price as my 50th V6, overall they will pay about 30-40% more over the life of the vehicle.

Enjoy whatever Camaro you get!
1100 - 07/09/16 | 9000 - 07/22/16 - Order Cancelled from Stingray Chevrolet
1100 - 07/24/16 | 2000 - 08/02/16
3000 - 08/03/16 | 3100 - 08/08/16 - TPW 8/22/16
3300 - 08/10/16 | 3400 - 08/11/16
3800 - 08/23/16 | 4200 - 08/29/16
4800 - 09/03/16 | 5000 - 09/07/16
6000 - 09/10/16

2013 2LS Build Page: 2 THE CAVE... I'm Batman! 2LS Blackout
2013 2LT/RS Build Page: The Evolution of Iron Man
PinLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #6
Vidgamer

Drives: VW Golf TDI
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I love the blue! That probably would be my preference, except that Fifty package looks pretty slick....

Yeah, I've been searching for info, and read the comments about the V8 ownership costs, but only just recently saw the comparison between V6 and 4 regarding fuel cost! Yes, premium does cost more, but I can't believe it makes that much of a difference.

The Miata and BRZ are really nice sports cars, but even the BRZ needs to be considered to be a 2-seater. They aren't terribly fast, but qualify in the fun-to-drive category. If I consider the Camaro to be a 2-seater, there suddenly is some other, possibly cheaper in some cases, competition, as you say.

The GTI seems to me to be the best bang-for-the-buck, but the Camaro is a really good deal too, particulary with the 2016 discounts. Not sure how much to expect on 2017s.

Just need to figure out what I can live with and pricing....
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
I posted here a few months ago, trying to get a plan together. I want something sporty and fun to drive. I wasn't in the financial position I wanted to be in when I started looking, but it's all good now, and I've finally been test-driving. You'd think test-driving would tell you what you need to know about a car, but I get so overwhelmed with everything going on. I'm going to need a 2nd try.

I ended up driving a 2LT w/V6. It was a lot easier to shift than I expected but not as smooth as I would like. I think it is fine, though. The view is a bit restricted, as everyone complains about, but a lot less so -- I think I could live with that too. Sounds great, looks great, and I love all of the tech features. HUD might be gimmicky, but I like that. Seemed to have everything you could possibly want in the car... except for rear headroom. Wow. It might be worse than the Mustang! I was hoping it could be used for hauling the family once in a while, not just hauling ***.

As it turns out, my family is shorter than me, so it might not be so tragic. I think I need a 2nd look.

The other thing I want to try is the 4-cyl -- it still has plenty of power, and supposedly slightly better mileage. Anyone have real daily numbers to report? I hope it gets better than the reported 20 city....

I read some recent comments -- some of you guys really don't like the 4-cyl, but I can't tell if it's because you really don't like the 4-cyl or if it's more like, "Go V8 or go home." I've had a bunch of small turbo-ed engines, so it's not so crazy to me. The V8 is just wasted on me when the 4-cyl has 0-60 more than just about any car I've driven much less owned. But, I know, I need to try it and see for myself.

Am I making this too hard? Seems hard these days to find a fun sports car ... that has some rear seat room and isn't overly expensive.
Advice - if you are definitely not going V8:

Skip the 2.0T if you actually care about mileage as the others said, the V6 will be cheaper gas-wise The V6 will also sound better. The 2.0T is the option if you care more about the lighter car or tuning capabilities. The V6 I think is wholeheartedly better "out of the box" for a not huge price jump.

You could even go 1LE V6 which is a steal of a car (it's an SS with a V6 engine). If you're getting a manual, which it sounds like you are, I think you should try to test drive one.
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
COmaro

Drives: Many
The V6 is the winner. As pointed out, the Turbo 4 needs premium gas, which kills any supposed gas mileage advantage, plus, like any turbo car, if you drive the 2.0 hard, it will suck *more* gas than the V6.

If I can find a V6 1LE with Recaros for under $30K, I'm probably grabbing it. I might pass if it is black or white, I'm not into those colors. GM Supplier on a 1LS/1LE with Recaros is $32,600, so I'm confident one will show up for under $30K at some point. If it doesn't, I might just go with a Miata with the Club package and BBS/Brembo package, which prices out within a few hundred of a V6 1LE with Recaros.

I don't need or want 2LT, but I'm not sure they have even made any 1LS/1LE models yet. There is not yet, to my knowledge, anyone who has posted on here with any V6 1LE, although Becky apparently has two 2LT/1LE in her showroom.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
There are many new V6s for under 30K. I am looking for a Conv. for under that price.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
tsanchez18
Software Architect

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post

I bought the 4cly and I'm getting around 25 combined since I go to the city sometimes and I take the interstate to go to work. And you're right. It has a good amount of power to it.
tsanchez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I bet the V6 would eek you out a bit better mileage with mostly city driving due to the much more aggressive acceleration the I4 is tuned for to compensate for the smaller motor + turbo.

Though I have yet to be interested in driving it in a way that is considered in any way fuel saving.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #12
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
As pointed out, the Turbo 4 needs premium gas, which kills any supposed gas mileage advantage,
I was not aware of this.
The Turbo 4 needs premium gas?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Meh, premium doesn't cost that much more than regular. 1 less super-size-it every week or two depending on your commutes.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Meh, premium doesn't cost that much more than regular. 1 less super-size-it every week or two depending on your commutes.
Premium is 20% more where I live. $2.40 vs. $2.00.

That is significant. I drive about 300 miles per week. Assuming 25MPG, that is 12 gallons of gas per week, about $5.00/week, about $260 a year.

Does $22/mo on your car payment matter?

Assuming premium is still 20% more expensive, when regular gas hits $3.00 again as it probably will next year, the difference will be almost $400 a year.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote