Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
groove22

Drives: 13 SS/RS
On the fence

I'm looking at buying a '17 2SS either with a A8 or M6. I have a '13 with the M6 right now. Question to those who have switched from the M6 to the A8 do you regret the switch and for the ones who went in the opposite direction do you regret that switch? Finally, former 5th Gen owners do you regret getting the 6th Gen?

Thanks,
Allen
groove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
If you enjoy rowing your own, get the M6, it's got a wonderful light clutch, easy to modulate and the stock shifter is one of the better ones on the market that I've driven in the past 5 years.

I drive into Boston everyday in my Gen 6 2SS M6 and traffic doesn't bother me at all.

Of course, as with everything YMMV. You won't find many people lamenting their choice, whether it be A8 or M6 because no one likes to admit they were wrong. Before buying my C7 back in Jan 16, I hadn't had a manual car in several years, and I missed it. I don't care about being the fastest on paper, or any type of racing, I bought my car to strictly cruise and enjoy the sounds it makes. If you like manuals, this one is a gem.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Get the transmission you'll enjoy more, not the one you'll use as an excuse or crutch.

If you have to make a spreadsheet to rationalize which transmission, you're doing it wrong. Go drive both, your heart will tell you which to buy.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Former gen5 here. No regrets. Luv it. Like night and day... and that's with a v6!
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
lokitwitch04

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
I love the A8. I came from a 6 speed and have no regrets. When I want to screw around I use the manual option. Then you can choose if you want to use the paddles or the shifter to shift manually. I love it and this is my first automatic since 2000.
lokitwitch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Feels like a big upgrade in every way. No regrets here.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
douglas2742

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove22 View Post
I'm looking at buying a '17 2SS either with a A8 or M6. I have a '13 with the M6 right now. Question to those who have switched from the M6 to the A8 do you regret the switch and for the ones who went in the opposite direction do you regret that switch? Finally, former 5th Gen owners do you regret getting the 6th Gen?

Thanks,
Allen
Even though I'm a long time manual lover I simply prefer the flexibility of the A8. I've added paddle shifter extensions which are needed to use them at 10 and 2 hand positions, not just 9 and 3.. The shifts are fast and easy AND fun. Then when you want maximum acceleration drop over to auto mode in Sport or Track and you get performance a manual can't match.
1SS, Recaro seats, A8 w/paddle shift extensions, NPP, Magnuson 2300 supercharger, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and x-pipe, factory handling kit, Phastek lowering springs, Alpine sound system w/JL sub, Lexani custom 21" wheels, Michelin Super Sport 4S tires, Bigwormgraphix striping, Chevy Performance Brembo big brake kit, darkened taillights and Remin carbon fiber dash kit.

douglas2742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Hey Allen,

I had a '11 2ss/M6, '15 1SS/1LE M6, and '16 2ss/A8 and now a '17 ZL1/M6. No regrets going to either 6th gen vs. the 5th gens. So much better of a car, performance, handling and comfort. While the automatic is a nice convenience and was happy with it; but went back to the manual in the ZL1 as I just prefer a manual transmission better, and missed it. The manual is head over heels better in the 6th gen as it is a light pedal, shifts are more precise, and as I'm getting close to mid-50's, it's a pleasure compared to the heavy clutch pedal and on the 5th gens. Also, having rev-matching for downshifting is a good feature too.

If I had do deal with a lot of stop/go traffic on a regular basis then I guess I probably would've gone with the auto, but as I don't I went back to the manual. What I would suggest doing is test drive both and go with the one that feels and works bet for you.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
As some have said you can't go wrong with the 6Gen! To me it's hands down better than the Gen5 in every aspect. I had a 2010 2SS with a LS3/6 speed that was modded that I thought I would keep for long time but after a couple of drives in the '16 I had to get one. I stuck with a 6 speed because I'm old school and really like driving a manual. The only thing I can tell you Allen is get what you want with no regrets. Take both Camaros on test drives and see which one you prefer. I knew what I wanted which made my decision simple. My advice is don't buy before you have decided which one you want.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
YaBoyJordy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Absolutely no regrets getting the A8. I've been driving manual for the past 9 years and was getting sick it since i was just sitting in traffic every day. I feel like the auto is the best of both worlds.
YaBoyJordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I've driven a 5th gen pretty extensively and the 6th gen is a massive upgrade in power, interior and especially handling. These new cars feel so refined. As for transmission, I like the m6, shift great once warmed up and the GM short shifter is really good.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I don't think there is a wrong choice here & was in your shoes deciding trans type too...don't let it consume you too much.

I don't use the paddles hardly at all but just enjoy the hell out of flipping through the gears in town with the gear knob pushed over. I'm not sure if the SS has the same feature, but on this A10 you can hold the paddle / knob for a couple seconds in down shift while going down the road & it will find the ultimate gear in the 6k rpm range & start flipping. When in auto you can tap the accelerator to floor & it does the same but finds a 4k rpm range. I think the A8 does it too but not 100%.

Regardless, you are going to dig the 6gen.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
My Dad ordered a C7 at the same time I ordered my Gen 6. In the past on his vetts he went with the Manual, this time around he went with the Auto. Now my dad is a very young 70 and though it would be nice to have an automatic. He thought my mom would want to drive it. She doesn't. So now he feels a little disappointed that he doesn't have a manual. I let him drive my Camaro and he misses the stick. He love his car, but has a little regret. I would hate the manual if I had to drive in thick stop and go traffic. I still think you can't go wrong with either.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
There's already a 9 page thread on this exact question here:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ghlight=regret

Also, besides a new car payment I don't see how anyone could possibly regret switching to the 6th gen. The 5th gen feels like something that was made out of spare parts compared to the 6th.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote