Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm Moving (North)! Do I need to sell my Camaro?

Hey guys, I daily drive a 2SS and love it. I am getting ready to move from NC up to Mass. or over to Colorado where there is much more snow than where I am at now where we get none. I have been looking at winter tires, but everyone keeps telling me to get a 4x4 vehicle. What do you guys think? Anyone on here daily one of these bad boys in Boston or other snowy places?
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I drive mine year round in Wisconsin. I picked up a second set of identical rims and put Sottozero on them. Drives great in snow with proper tires
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Def not. Drove mine all last winter and my 5.0 for years before that. Live on the north end of jersey and even took the car on a ski trip

I won't be doing it this winter tho for other reasons(need a 4door tow vehicle) I am selling my run flat blizzaks on black SS wheels if you're interested

I liked this setup because the car still drove well when it was dry
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I grew up in MA driving RWD cars through those winters. It's even easier with current vehicles that have traction control and all ABS and the tech assists. It can be done, just need the right gear on the car. Summer tires ain't it.

What I'd worry about more than any else is though is that god awful shit they spray on the roads.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
While I don't right now, but I did live in the Northeast for many many years even lived in Colorado for a couple of years, and had rwd muscle cars, and I know there are plenty of folks on the forum here that do drive their Camaro year round up North. A good set of winter tires and some common sense will get you thru most situations. If you can swing it though I'd get a cheap little 4x4 for the times when it gets too deep to drive a car like the Camaro, or just stay home on those days
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
upstate NY here. We get hammered. It will plow on deep stuff, but 95% of the winter, the roads here have light cover and a good winter tire does great. The traction control systems now are pretty good. Err on the side of max winter tire than winter performance tire if you have to get to work at certain time or need to be places in an emergency. On bad days, I stay home or wait till the roads are a bit clearer, but I'm using the max performance blizzak winter tire.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Walt88

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
So, I live in New York, about 20 miles north of New York City. The last several years my daily driver has been a 2000 Z28 with drag radials. The thing was sketchy in the rain and snow, but I drove it year round! Aside from days with deep snow or crazy low temperatures with ice everywhere, (in which case my job was closed anyways) it was fine.

The two largest factors that contribute to being able to drive in the winter are your personal ability to do so, and snow tires. Growing up in Northern NY and having to drive a Jeep Wrangler with non functional 4wd taught me pretty fast how to drive in the snow with RWD. And after getting some cheapo rims with snow tires and experiencing the difference I will never go back.

But really, its largely skill. Hell, a few years ago a buddy of mine was in college down in Georgia, when they had that freak snow storm. He said he saw families abandoning their 4wd trucks and walking back into town over an inch of snow, while he blew past them in his lowered 1986 Porsche 944.

You'll be fine!
Walt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Don't know about Mass, but in Colorado you might get 2 or 3 days on average a year where you wouldn't be able to drive a low car like the Camaro in deeper snow.

You'll be fine, probably. I am not planning on driving my 1LE in the winter because, well...it's my toy, I don't plan on getting a second set of tires, and I have two other cars, one All wheel drive SUV for snow.

If possible, the best thing to do is get an older 4x4 for when you need it.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I live in RI, and my SS goes nite nite for the winter around Halloween. While you can probably drive it with better tires, the chemicals they put in the salt now around here to melt the snow more efficiently would lead me to suggest that you store you car for the winter and buy a beater. I hear whatever it is is brutal on cars and if you plan to keep your camaro for any length of time I would avoid driving it in the winter.

I have a highly customized jeep wrangler that I won't even take out in the winter unless its freshly fallen snow before they've plowed and salted! LOL I drive the leased Grand Cherokee in bad weather, let that get destroyed!
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
I daily mine in Michigan with a set of dedicated snow wheels/tires. Previously I also daily drove a G8 GT, 14 5.0, and 15 5.0.....all V8s, all RWD, and all on snow tires lol. Not once have I had a single issue. My only concerns would be upkeep and the area you live in. Personally maintenance/upkeep is relatively easy - I'm a bit overboard and will go to the quarter wash and lay on the ground and spray off the underside a couple times a week (not to mention the paint) to prevent any damage from salt. My second and more serious point is that I could see you have problems depending on where you live only because of ground clearance. I have never had issues in snow because where I live the snow gets plowed relatively quickly and if we get 12 inches, odds are I am not out driving around until it is clear. If you were in a rural area where plowing took longer or was non existent then you may want to consider something else. Just my .02.......all that being said, I am most likely going to have a leased truck or Grand Cherokee come this fall mainly because I want to stop putting tons of miles on my 1LE. Probably will drive that on snowy days and drive the 1LE only when the pavement is dry.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
upstate NY here. We get hammered. It will plow on deep stuff, but 95% of the winter, the roads here have light cover and a good winter tire does great. The traction control systems now are pretty good. Err on the side of max winter tire than winter performance tire if you have to get to work at certain time or need to be places in an emergency. On bad days, I stay home or wait till the roads are a bit clearer, but I'm using the max performance Blizzak winter tire.
This is pretty much spot on.

I live on the MA / NH border and with good winter tires there will probably be a very few days when you can't drive.

Most people up here have a winter beater... an older Subaru, or F150... I have an 03 Tacoma for when it's really bad, and the Gen 6 stays in the garage. You can get by without one, it'll just be more difficult on those very snowy days. If it's just cold, or leftover mush on the roads, you'll be fine.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.

Last edited by Curr; 07-27-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
shawndean22

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
?? why would you "need" to sell it. People drive corvettes, lambos and everything else in the winter.... I have driven mustang gt/pp past 2 winters with pzeros and was fine.
shawndean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I drove my camaro in snow for over a decade in PA/NJ. Not just pretty plowed streets either, but during blizzards.

You can keep your car, if you're prepared to leave it on the side of a road sometimes because it wont make it up a hill, falls off a highway because they're banked and the roads aren't plowed yet, can't move out of a parking space because it got snowed in and your car becomes a snow plow so you have to leave it there over night and get a ride from a co-worker so you can come back the next day and dig it out. Not to mention white nuckling while driving around other people who are horrible / first time snow drivers. Also, the roads in the north east are garbage. Littered with pot holes that love to destroy low profile wheels. The salt will rust your car. The snow will scratch/knick your paint with rock salt getting kicked up long after the snow is gone.

Unless you just wont be driving it in such bad weather. But if that stuff doesn't bother you go for it
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I drove a '69 Camaro through several winters. It was not great, but I made it. If you decide to do it, put real good snow tires on all 4 corners.

Personally, I park my Camaro after the first snow, and don't bring it out again until the snow and salt are all gone. I use my Jeep during that time.