Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2017, 11:56 PM   #15
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Overfilled during production? How does that happen...
Robots come to work intoxicated.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
lmcgrew79

Drives: '17 Zl1, '16 Viper ACR, '15 CLA 45
I didn't want to post until they had time to come out with some sort of fix. Here is most of the story. After my car experienced some high temps and erratic shifting on track only, 2 gm engineers came to my local dealer ship and we spent about 6 hrs on my car. The first thing as we drained the trans, it was overfilled by about 12 oz. As the trans gets hot everything expands including the fluid. If the fluid is overfilled there is a good chanced aeration/foaming can happen from the fluid making to much contact with the gear sets. With aeration/foaming the fluid cant flow thru the cooling system nor the valve body very efficiently.

Another note the ULV fluid is pretty thin and the additives can settle while the fluid is in the container, its very important for when the fluid gets changed to shake up the fluid to get the additives mixed. From what I learned one of the additives is silicone which is an antifoaming agent, they took all the old fluid and had it test, not sure what the results was.

We also did some testing with the 4-3 downshift on the street and they recorded all kinds of data just shifting thru the gears downshifting etc. I think some of those things are software based throttle blips but thats just my opinion and not really even an issue.

My car at that point had roughly 2000 miles and 1 track days, I was really surprised of how clean the magnets and filter was in the trans. There was no shavings on the magnets at all and the filter was spotless. We did 2 fluid swaps to flush the system just in case, which is a good thing because i now have a very good understanding of how to change the fluid in the trans. Its not super hard but after refilling it requires heating the trains up to 190-210 and pulling the fill plug and let it drain while at temp.

270 seems to be the very very warm temp with 275 starting in the red on your trans temp gauge. My car got to 268 at its hottest at around 8 laps and the 5-6 6-7 shift was the one that seemed it was "slipping" i bit, I took my car back to the track 2 weeks after the visit and reported back, the trans ran roughly 20 degrees cooler with the same exterior temps and zero shifting issues even after 15 laps. Same results as I took the car back last week as well and zero issues.

One thing that kinda surprised me is how much GM/Camaro team actually cared and wanted to find a solution. Very impressed, the engineers was great to deal with, and said no matter what it shouldn't overheat from the testing they did, and from what i understand was alot!
lmcgrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #17
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
I didn't want to post until they had time to come out with some sort of fix. Here is most of the story. After my car experienced some high temps and erratic shifting on track only, 2 gm engineers came to my local dealer ship and we spent about 6 hrs on my car. The first thing as we drained the trans, it was overfilled by about 12 oz. As the trans gets hot everything expands including the fluid. If the fluid is overfilled there is a good chanced aeration/foaming can happen from the fluid making to much contact with the gear sets. With aeration/foaming the fluid cant flow thru the cooling system nor the valve body very efficiently.

Another note the ULV fluid is pretty thin and the additives can settle while the fluid is in the container, its very important for when the fluid gets changed to shake up the fluid to get the additives mixed. From what I learned one of the additives is silicone which is an antifoaming agent, they took all the old fluid and had it test, not sure what the results was.

We also did some testing with the 4-3 downshift on the street and they recorded all kinds of data just shifting thru the gears downshifting etc. I think some of those things are software based throttle blips but thats just my opinion and not really even an issue.

My car at that point had roughly 2000 miles and 1 track days, I was really surprised of how clean the magnets and filter was in the trans. There was no shavings on the magnets at all and the filter was spotless. We did 2 fluid swaps to flush the system just in case, which is a good thing because i now have a very good understanding of how to change the fluid in the trans. Its not super hard but after refilling it requires heating the trains up to 190-210 and pulling the fill plug and let it drain while at temp.

270 seems to be the very very warm temp with 275 starting in the red on your trans temp gauge. My car got to 268 at its hottest at around 8 laps and the 5-6 6-7 shift was the one that seemed it was "slipping" i bit, I took my car back to the track 2 weeks after the visit and reported back, the trans ran roughly 20 degrees cooler with the same exterior temps and zero shifting issues even after 15 laps. Same results as I took the car back last week as well and zero issues.

One thing that kinda surprised me is how much GM/Camaro team actually cared and wanted to find a solution. Very impressed, the engineers was great to deal with, and said no matter what it shouldn't overheat from the testing they did, and from what i understand was alot!
Very cool to get service like that directly from the engineers. Glad hey found the issue and resolved it for you. Also cool to hear that they said it shouldn't overheat no matter what and since you were getting slightly warm they were there right away to investigate.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Does the service bulletin mention production dates for affected cars? I'd like to know if this has been corrected in current production. Not that checking the trans fluid level is a big deal.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #19
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
What's the repair...drain said oz's or drain all & replace??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #20
lmcgrew79

Drives: '17 Zl1, '16 Viper ACR, '15 CLA 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
What's the repair...drain said oz's or drain all & replace??
Not sure the answer to that, im guessing what ever the recall says. You could always check to see how full it is. To get the trans up to temp it takes almost 5 mins, on a lift you have to put it in gear power break it up to like 1500 rpm not slipping the wheels hold for like 5 seconds then release, do this a few times then put it in neutral rev it a bit to circulate the fluid from the torque converter and keep doing this to get it up to temp. One reason for this is to warm the fluid the other is to open the bypass in the trans cooling system. Then you could pull the plug at the bottom and see if its overfilled. The plug is in the bottom of a tube so the top of the tube is the full level, basically drain till it quits draining.

To drain the trans you have to pull the pan entirely, but the gasket is reusable, its a bit messy, you need a large pan at minimum to catch the fluid, my tech unloosened the front first letting it drain for a while then the rest.

To Refill you install the pan back and have to pump the fluid up thru the drain plug tube. They had a nice battery powered pump but you can also do it with any fluid transfer pump.
lmcgrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #21
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
If you use that logic, then why not wait for a 2021 refresh/gen 7 Camaro? I'm sure that will have even more updated styling, updated interior, new tech, and probably improved engine/trans.

And then you can deal with all the first year glitches with all those new "updates"

Sometimes not always the most updated thing is the best thing, the mustang seems to come to mind in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Then you need to buy now and upgrade every 2 years to keep up.
Refreshes happen once every 4 years. I just got in the market for a Camaro, so it's just a 1 year wait. I haven't been waiting since the 6th gen was introduced of course, that would have been stupid.
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #22
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I checked on myChevrolet app, no recall for me, produced delivered in March this year
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #23
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNNZL1 View Post
I checked on myChevrolet app, no recall for me, produced delivered in March this year
Same here..... early February build....
Old 09-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #24
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
i havent gotten high temps but i have been having a lot of erratic shifting...
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #25
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
First batch A10 here and no recall or problems yet
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:16 AM   #26
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
All the more reasons to wait for the 2019 refresh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
That and updated styling, updated interior, new tech and probably improved engine/trans. There's also no Chevy dealers where I live, so waiting for the facelift is the smartest choice for me.
It looks like GM has something new and better coming out every year. 16 was the new style. 17 was the ZL1. 18 is the ZL1 1LE. 19 will be something else (Z28? Refresh?). Then 19 will be something else entirely. So there really is no point in waiting. Because as soon as you jump on something there will be something newer and better that will steal all the attention.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #27
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
It looks like GM has something new and better coming out every year. 16 was the new style. 17 was the ZL1. 18 is the ZL1 1LE. 19 will be something else (Z28? Refresh?). Then 19 will be something else entirely. So there really is no point in waiting. Because as soon as you jump on something there will be something newer and better that will steal all the attention.
I agree but that's not my case. I decided this year that I would buy a Camaro SS, I test drove one and the only thing that didn't convince me was the 8 speed. Since I needed an auto for daily use, I decided why not wait a year and see if the SS refresh has the 10 speed in 2019 like the Mustang has and ZL1. Another advantage of waiting 1 year is that I can afford the ZL1 next year so the plan is going well. I'm not saying of waiting forever, but buying a new car when there's a new model coming the year after, seems pointless. If the refresh was happening in 2020 then I would have bought one now.
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #28
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Added myChevrolet app
Checked for any recall
Nothing

Do the overfilled trans got an official recall?
May I have an overfilled with no recall in the system?
How do we know which TPW were overfilled????
Thanks
I pushed mine 3 -4 times to 150-160 doesn't seem to overtemp...
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote