Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #29
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
So what would you do in my situation? Accept it like that or replace the panel?

The shop is not a Geico preferred, and was recommended by every dealer in the city, and the closest Mercedez benz a couple cities over
I would have them fix the panel properly by replacing it. Using filler to recreate body lines is a hack job way of doing things. With the way that panel was dented all around the wheel well crease, the whole quarter panel should've been replaced the first time around.

Don't let these lazy bodyshops get away with crap like this. We pay too much money for automotive insurance as consumers to have hack repair jobs like this exist.

Some people want to wash their hands of the whole thing and just trade the vehicle in after something like this happens. However, think about all the money they're losing. The normal depreciation plus the diminished value due to the accident repairs can really add up.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #30
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I would have them fix the panel properly by replacing it. Using filler to recreate body lines is a hack job way of doing things. With the way that panel was dented all around the wheel well crease, the whole quarter panel should've been replaced the first time around.

Don't let these lazy bodyshops get away with crap like this. We pay too much money for automotive insurance as consumers to have hack repair jobs like this exist.

Some people want to wash their hands of the whole thing and just trade the vehicle in after something like this happens. However, think about all the money they're losing. The normal depreciation plus the diminished value due to the accident repairs can really add up.
Initially they asked me if I wanted to repair it or get a new panel, i expressed my concern over that body line being as sharp as the factory and was weary of cutting into the car.

The owner told me he could get it to look perfect with a repair, and that wiuld be his recommendation, so thats what I went with.

Hopefully this thread will help someone out in the future. I will update when I hear back from the adjustor

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #31
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaling View Post
What's up everyone? About 3 weeks ago I was driving back to California from Oklahoma and stopped for the night in Albuquerque, NM at a hotel. When I leave in the morning I noticed someone had backed up into the driver rear quarter panel and bumper. I put in a claim with my insurance and took it to a Geico preferred body shop.
The shop they picked does the body work for a Chevy dealer near their area, so I figured it would be alright. I dropped it off on the 5th, repair estimate was 10 days and they still have it.
I have been there twice already to "pick up" the car, but haven't been satisfied with the repairs. First time the rear diffuser was replaced with a diffuser for the quad tip exhaust (I have the single tip dual), there was waves around the edge of the rear quarter panel that meets up with the bumper, the bumper and the rear quarter panel weren't flush, there was a larger gap between the rear quarter panel and the trunk on the driver side, and the biggest issue was above the wheel on the rear quarter panel (they kind of rounded out the line vs it being a well defined crease).

I was pushing for replacing the parts from the beginning, but they were confident that they could repair the damage. The adjuster and body shop pushed for a repair and I told them that I thought replacing would probably look better and avoid problems with them trying to use a bunch of filler on the panels. I gave it more thought and didn't want to open up a can of worms with replacing everything and told them they could try to repair it, but I wouldn't accept anything less than perfect.

The insurance stopped covering the rental as of Tuesday and now the body shop has picked up the tab on the rental and I'm supposed to go back on Tuesday, for the 3rd time, to pick it up. The second time I went back the quarter panel looked pretty much the same and the gap was still there on the trunk. I honestly don't have much faith in these guys getting it right and I'm wondering what my game plan should be if they dick it up again.

Here are pictures of the damage:
Correct me if I am wrong but many body panels are composites and plastics and only small dents are repaired with putty nowadays. I think that bumper and panel should have been replaced. Who is your insurance with? Sounds like they are nickel and dimeing you to save them money. After paying good money for premiums you deserves better service in my opinion.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #32
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
So what would you do in my situation? Accept it like that or replace the panel?

The shop is not a Geico preferred, and was recommended by every dealer in the city, and the closest Mercedez benz a couple cities over
These body shops are supposed to be professional...right? Then when the repair is done you should never even know it was hit. If they can't fix it right they shouldn't be in bidness. And so what if its more expensive to replace the whole panel? That's why you pay expensive premiums to have it done right...not about saving them money. Demand they fix it right.

Last edited by Marty McFlew; 10-13-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: s
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #33
ISHLISS
Chevy & Ford Enthusiast

Drives: '21 Camaro LT1
Geico wanting the cheapest body shop, i'm so surprised -_-
ISHLISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #34
Rustydaytons
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy
U should have never agreed to repair and stuck to guns about replacing. End topic
Rustydaytons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #35
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Oh man so sorry to see this happening. If replacing the panel requires cutting and welding I would make darn sure the body shop is capable of that repair! If it was my car I would feel better with a proper repair with no cutting even if it did require some filler. With unibody cars I hate to see cutting and welding going on if it's avoidable.

Last edited by Chazzz; 10-14-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #36
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
As a former body shop tech (a million years ago), I can tell you that recreating that sharp body line is very difficult, and I’m not surprised you are having difficulty accepting the result. They had a maybe 50% chance of getting it right, so they gambled that you wouldn’t be picky and lost. Both the shop and the insurance company gambled that you wouldn’t make a stink. Kind of a crappy way to do business, but that’s insurance work.
But you deserve to be satisfied, so make them fix it right. The difference now between a stand up shop and a hack joint is how they handle it from here, because remember, at this point all the money for this repair is used up. The insurance company won’t (and shouldn’t) pay any more for the repair or to take it to another shop. So you will either get a quality repair because the shop cares about it’s rep, or more of the same as what you’ve been getting.
Good luck.

Oh, and don’t think too badly of the body tech, most of the time they work on a flat rate, meaning they get paid xx hours to do a job( from the estimate), and if it takes them longer, they don’t get paid for the extra time. Sucks, and one of the reasons I quit that industry.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #37
jingaling

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 MT
I don't think they came out winning when it came to my car, but at the end the result was a repair that I was happy with. It sucks that I had to reject the car like 4 times though. Whatever you decide to do (repair/replace)... Do not accept it until you are happy with the result. I have a feeling that a replacement would have been a nightmare at this shop.
Geico offered a lifetime warranty on the repair for going with their shop, so I hace a little peace of mind knowing that I can always take it back if it doesn't hold up in the long run.
jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #38
Gunsmokez

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
As a former body shop tech (a million years ago), I can tell you that recreating that sharp body line is very difficult, and I’m not surprised you are having difficulty accepting the result. They had a maybe 50% chance of getting it right, so they gambled that you wouldn’t be picky and lost. Both the shop and the insurance company gambled that you wouldn’t make a stink. Kind of a crappy way to do business, but that’s insurance work.
But you deserve to be satisfied, so make them fix it right. The difference now between a stand up shop and a hack joint is how they handle it from here, because remember, at this point all the money for this repair is used up. The insurance company won’t (and shouldn’t) pay any more for the repair or to take it to another shop. So you will either get a quality repair because the shop cares about it’s rep, or more of the same as what you’ve been getting.
Good luck.

Oh, and don’t think too badly of the body tech, most of the time they work on a flat rate, meaning they get paid xx hours to do a job( from the estimate), and if it takes them longer, they don’t get paid for the extra time. Sucks, and one of the reasons I quit that industry.
This is another reason , why I quit that trade. Along with so many of my other friends. Just not enough money involved in the repairs. Shop owners and insurance are always butting heads.

Anyways, if you are gonna be that unhappy with the filler work. Then get them to replace it. But, you have to keep in mind. They will CUT it and weld somewhere near the top of the door or rear window. Most likely the sail panel since away from the roof welds. ( or else they gotta replace the front windshield. ) That rear window would need to come out as well, and all the etching and inside of door jams .would be needed to be repainted and proper stickers put on. , trunk would be removed and welded there and painted then put seals back .Even the interior panels need to all be removed for welding.

Thinking about it, lol makes me . So much work for essentially a dent.

On the other hand, Get them to repair the work. And when the Filler work is done and before any primer job is put on. GEt them to call you! So you can inspect it and tell them to go ahead with paint. Then after it gets primed , tell them to block it down straight. Then CHECK again for final paint.

Last edited by Gunsmokez; 10-14-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #39
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The problem is they went into this repair choosing the cheapest option available.

On the 5th gen, the factory made sleeved areas in the sail panel and the rocker area for 1/4 panel replacement. I'm sure the 6th gen is made the same way. The whole idea in the autobody insurance repair business is to return the vehicle to pre-accident condition.

A glob of body filler to recreate body lines is not pre-accident condition. Yet, all the propaganda you hear from the major insurance companies is that they'll fix your car to pre-accident "good as new" condition.

It really comes down to us, as consumers, to force these hack shops out of business. Unfortunately, most people just trade their cars in after an accident so the demand to fix them properly never gets big enough to really change things. Thus, it's business as usual for the hack shops and the insurance companies that use them.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #40
Jeanius

Well just heard from the adjustor. They wont pay to replace thr quarter. He said if the shop had pushed for it from the get go they would have but since they already paid for thr repair its done.

I asked if it would be different with a geico preffered shop he said they would have no choice but to replace it then because they stand behind the shops work

So now its between me and the shop. FML

Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #41
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
They are not likely to "replace" that panel in my opinion. That can be repaired and repaired correctly. I had damage to my passenger quarter panel due to some asshat hit & run at a local Safeway while I was in shopping, and the shop I went to did a perfect job.
Attached Images

Last edited by BrianL; 10-18-2017 at 08:24 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #42
Jeanius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
They are not likely to "replace" that panel in my opinion. That can be repaired and repaired correctly. I had damage to my passenger quarter panel due to some asshat hit & run at a local Safeway while I was in shopping, and the shop I went to did a perfect job.
Do you have before and after pics?