Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
Burt_macklin_fbi

Drives: N/A
V6 1LE or 1SS

Hey guys, first time post here but have spent some time reading a lot of the information here.

So, im getting close to deciding on a new car and am heavily considering the camaro as my next car (currently have a F30 335i). Theres a couple dealers that ive found somewhat close that are able to discount the 1LS 1LE to about 30-32K (tech package and recaro seats being the only options). At that price, I've also found some CPO 1SS for around that price too. As nice as it will be to have a brand new car, the SS is extremely tempting.

However, most of my driving consists of staying just around 60, and highway miles, so the power of the SS will be nearly pointless.

I am pretty much lost as to what car I would prefer as I know id find ways to enjoy the power and sound of the SS. But, being able to utilize more of the V6 may actually end up being more fun. I only got to test drive the auto versions of both cars but definitely will be going back to try the manuals.

Also, theres some insane deals at Bomnin chevy in Florida. Ive been meaning to contact them because theyre offering nearly 8K off of most of their camaros which is crazy. Has anyone talked to them to see if this is just a BS price to get customers to come to them?
Burt_macklin_fbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
batmobile209

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Definitely go back and try the manuals, make sure you're 100% sure with your purchase. IMHO I would say SS but that's obviously biased.
batmobile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #3
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSD View Post
1SS all the way, may not look as nice but once you have 455 hp, its hard to go back to anything less. You will use the v8 power on every drive, it makes everyday drives to the store fun. At the end of the year you should be able to get a great deal on a 2017 1ss or 2ss.
1SS and 2SS looks exactly the same aside from the leather seats, knee pads and door trims (which can be purchased for cheap).

Only the leather on the top of the door panel doesn't sell separately.

With that sed, I'll take a CPO 1SS anyday, all day over the V6 1LE. If you don't want the power, a regular V6 is what I would get to save $ instead of the V6 1LE
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Yeah i went to that desler their prices are click bait to get you in the dealer however they do still give you some good discounts just not what they promote. Also dont go with a trade in thats where they try to make the most money they quoted me a 1SS 1LE for 40,600 in hyper bluebwhich every one would say OMG thats a steal however they offered me 8,500 for my trade in while every other dealer offered me 13-14K range
G2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
Burt_macklin_fbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2K View Post
Yeah i went to that desler their prices are click bait to get you in the dealer however they do still give you some good discounts just not what they promote. Also dont go with a trade in thats where they try to make the most money they quoted me a 1SS 1LE for 40,600 in hyper bluebwhich every one would say OMG thats a steal however they offered me 8,500 for my trade in while every other dealer offered me 13-14K range
thats what i figured. i emailed them and they wouldnt give me a straight answer on if I qualified for that pricing or not.

looks like im just gonna wait until i can find a good 1ss or 2ss
Old 06-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
depends on ur situation. insurance and gas will be higher for the SS. but resell value will likely be more on the SS. id go 1ss if ur not worried about the money factor for sure
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
Test drive both and then decide. For me, the V6 1LE was more appealing than a non-1LE SS particularly because of the Recaros and the noticeably lighter feel to the handling (you can easily feel the 200+ lbs difference in your first mile of driving). Also, the V6 with a manual trans feels much quicker and livelier than you'd expect at daily driving speeds and the motor revs very smoothly and freely. To me, neither the V6 nor the SS are that fast compared to other cars I've had, so the penalty in price and mileage for the V8 was not worth the small difference in feel on the street vs the V6. Also, I like V8s (have an older Camaro Z28) but also like good sounding V6s (have had multiple BMWs). Paying under $30k for the car while still having great looking forged wheels, black trunk spoiler/splitter, getting 24 mpg and being able to save close to 50 cents a gallon on 87 octane were just gravy.
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I felt the 1SS was the sweet spot in the line-up for a street car / daily driver. There comes a point of diminishing returns for what you can really use on the street.

In March, a combination of incentives and negotiation brought the price before TTL down to < $32k for a 1SS optioned exactly how I wanted it. At that price point, the V6 1LE didn't seem like a good deal to me since I was getting essentially a V6 1LE with an additional ~120hp for "free" (not quite free, since there's a weight and fuel economy penalty).

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I felt the 1SS was the sweet spot in the line-up for a street car / daily driver. There comes a point of diminishing returns for what you can really use on the street.

In March, a combination of incentives and negotiation brought the price before TTL down to < $32k for a 1SS optioned exactly how I wanted it. At that price point, the V6 1LE didn't seem like a good deal to me since I was getting essentially a V6 1LE with an additional ~120hp for "free" (not quite free, since there's a weight and fuel economy penalty).
Yeah, price and discounts matter. My V6 1LE with Recaros was $8k off sticker, so even with tax and destination, it was about $30k even (no trade).
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #10
Burt_macklin_fbi

im starting to look at used 2ss and ive found a few just around 35-36K. theyre 2016's, all right below 10K miles
how does the new car warranty transfer when buying a used chevy? im assuming it all transfers with no problem right?

currently in my car, i have the heads up display, heated seats, surround view camera,and a few other goodies, and after thinking about it, i think im just so used to these i wouldnt particualrly enjoy not having the amenities of a 2ss or 2lt

is there anything to look for in the 2016s? and is there any way to check exactly what options a car has? for bmw, i was able to decode the vin and it would display option codes whereas with the chevy websites ive seen it doesnt show much
Old 06-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #11
whitelightning011

Drives: '16 1SS A8 w/ NPP
I would go with the 1SS. The V8 has its own personality that you hear and feel with each ignition.
whitelightning011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:09 AM   #12
Zae757

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS
I was in your same predicament with trying to select which Camaro I wanted, the V6 or V8 then between the 1SS and 2SS. Some people say there's only a few additional options to the 2SS over the 1SS and I agree. I went with the 1SS with no added features. Didn't care about leather seats or stearing wheel. Didn't care about the light show the 2SS has inside the cabin. One thing I wish I would of optd for would be the magnetic ride. The only advice I will and can offer is, if you go with the 1SS, get one with magnetic ride control. The ride isn't horrible without it by any means but just knowing it could be better is what's driving me crazy. I might even just trade my 1SS in for another with magnetic ride control. �� Wonder how that would look at the dealer?

Man walks in and says I want to buy the exact same car, year and everything that I currently have ������. Just want to hear their reply...
Zae757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zae757 View Post
I was in your same predicament with trying to select which Camaro I wanted, the V6 or V8 then between the 1SS and 2SS. Some people say there's only a few additional options to the 2SS over the 1SS and I agree. I went with the 1SS with no added features. Didn't care about leather seats or stearing wheel. Didn't care about the light show the 2SS has inside the cabin. One thing I wish I would of optd for would be the magnetic ride. The only advice I will and can offer is, if you go with the 1SS, get one with magnetic ride control. The ride isn't horrible without it by any means but just knowing it could be better is what's driving me crazy. I might even just trade my 1SS in for another with magnetic ride control. �� Wonder how that would look at the dealer?

Man walks in and says I want to buy the exact same car, year and everything that I currently have ������. Just want to hear their reply...
If it makes you feel any better, Motor Trend drove both and preferred the non-MRC suspension.

Here's a quote from that article and a link:

"This Camaro SS is the 2SS model. Even though it’s about $9K pricier than the 1SS model we tested for Car of the Year, we don’t like it as much. Objectively, the performance is almost identical. Look at the figure-eight times. Both ran a 24.1-second lap. However, both Cammisa and I preferred the ride and handling from the fixed suspension on the 1SS to the adjustable magnetorheological dampers on the 2SS. We also both preferred the way the Camaro tore up a ribbon of asphalt compared to the M4.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...let-camaro-ss/

The only reason I would have preferred the MRC dampers is then I could upgrade to the SS 1LE suspension package. However, the non-MRC setup allows me to upgrade to the ZL1 1LE suspension down the road if I ever wanted a more capable setup.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote