Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
considering moving to 1LE

I am 4 years into ownership of a 2016 1SS vert used for fun street driving on the weekends mostly. I have really enjoyed the convertible and I think I might really miss it - but nonetheless I keep thinking about trading it for a 2018-21 1LE 1SS coupe. For one thing the seats are a huge upgrade, and there is just something about the balance and handling and overall capability built into the 1LE. I come from a track and autox background formerly raced in a NASA spec pony car group, but currently not doing track days. I do have a 71 pro-touring Camaro pretty well set-up for the occasional track day, so I have one option. So it's not for track days primarily, but if I had a 1LE I would get it out there for sure. I just think it's the ultimate version of the 6th gen - you could argue ZL1, but I am more of a do more with less balanced approach kind of guy than use the biggest hammer approach.

My plan with the vert has been to convert it into as close to a 1LE vert as possible - already upgraded wheels and tires to 19x10.5 Apex with 295-35 PilotSS. My next plan was the GM Performance Handling kit and finish it out likely with the matching swaybar kit and the solid cradle bushing from GMPP. That to me is about as close as you can get to 1LE knowing the added weight and traditional LSD are still going to be gaps. I have the non MRC suspension too - but I think the GMPP kit will bring it relatively close to 1LE handling capabilities with the tire footprint I already have.

What that is still missing however are the 1LE seats - love those. I was thinking of doing a leather / suede insert cover set for about $1500, but I would sure love to have the 1LE seats - problem is they are $4K for the pair and not sure if it's worth it.

Now - if I upgraded to a '18-21 1LE, it will cost me from $10-15K depending - so I suppose those fancy seats wouldn't be the craziest idea...

Anybody else have such thoughts or working to build something closer to a 1LE from a SS convertible?
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
Staves

Drives: women crazy
A vert will never be really close to a 1LE in my opinion. I’d just get a 1LE but I’m definitely not a fan of convertibles. If you truly are, then I’d trade up for a ZL1 vert.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
c4racer

Never used to be a vert fan either - but having had a few now I find I really do enjoy them a lot.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
A vert will never be really close to a 1LE in my opinion. I’d just get a 1LE but I’m definitely not a fan of convertibles. If you truly are, then I’d trade up for a ZL1 vert.
Seriously, have you driven the 1SS convertible (probably not, you don’t like em)

I’ve owned a 1SS non mag ride and now a ZL1. If I had put a set stickier 1LE wheels and tires on the 1SS, it would be a VERY close match up on a short track. The ZL1 would be more comfortable / stable over road imperfections. However, the overall handling feel on the 1SS (base tires and wheels) was noticeably more crisp with the non mag ride-suspension / lighter weight. Don’t get me wrong the Z vert is a phenomenal car, but the SS definitely deserves some serious props.

If you’re racing, no question...get the 1LE, can’t get the ELSD in any vert model.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Seriously, have you driven the 1SS convertible (probably not, you don’t like em)

I’ve owned a 1SS non mag ride and now a ZL1. If I had put a set stickier 1LE wheels and tires on the 1SS, it would be a VERY close match up on a short track. The ZL1 would be more comfortable / stable over road imperfections. However, the overall the handling feel with the 1SS (base tires and wheels) was noticeably more crisp with the non mag ride-suspension / lighter weight. Don’t get me wrong the Z vert is a phenomenal car, but the SS definitely deserves some serious props.

If you’re racing, no question...get the 1LE, can’t get the ELSD in any vert model.
Yes - that's kind of where I am with it. Short backstory.
Started autoxing and doing HPDE in a 89 IROC, took it full hot rod motor / trans / rear end swap - modified suspension, race tires, etc.
Moved up to a 91 Corvette street / track car
Then raced a 83 Camaro in CMC for awhile in NASA
Along the way I owned CTSV, EVO, 911, M3, 3 M5's, C5Z and 2 C6 coupes
Got a miata - loved the open air but was too small for me
Swapped it for a BMW 328i E93 - nice car, a bit of chassis flex, underpowered
The 6th gen came out w/ vert and I drove it and I was sold instantly.
It combined the open air feeling of the BMW 3 with the chassis and road manners of the C5/6 and honestly the chassis felt stiffer even as a vert.
Somewhat best of both worlds.

Now - it's not a track car - just a street car and will always be just that. I don't really want the ZL1 - don't need that much power, rather expensive, still doesn't have the eLSD. If I were to upgrade to anything it would be a 1SS 1LE coupe. But I have a 71 Camaro street / track capable car with 520hp, T56, 275/295 DOT200 tires, modern suspension, stoptech brakes etc.

[IMG]71Cam7 by C4RACER, on Flickr[/IMG]

I added 295's square PSS to the Vert, but it's still on stock springs - the GMPP kit will lower it to 1LE levels and firm up the handling to something pretty similar to a 1LE. Sure - it's not a 1LE, but it's a pretty good drop-top.
I'm really not a vert guy so much either - but it makes for a really fantastic wine country or beach weekend cruising car. So I'm somewhat torn...

[IMG]Untitled by C4RACER, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also added a magnaflow exhaust since the car doesn't have NPP and I really needed to hear the motor - stock exhaust was just way too quiet.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
c4racer

typical weekend trip to Sonoma - top down most of the time!
Except when parking...

Untitled by C4RACER, on Flickr
Old 12-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
No, haven’t. I just would never own a vert. My g/f had one. Riding around with the sun roasting me was never fun. At night was better. But I would much rather have less weight, better handling chassis when it comes to the Camaro of the coupe.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:13 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
where you are located btw? and i live in socal and i have a modified 1ss and always thought about getting rid of mine for a 1le but im so far invested and almost paid off on my 1ss that it doesnt make sense at this point
Old 12-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
c4racer

San Jose - we have pretty mild weather here, not nearly as hot in the summer as SoCal.
Other than those few crazy days in August and September, but then I just don't drive it.
Not a daily for me by any stretch. 4.5 years and still under 15K miles.

I wouldn't want to daily drive a convertible either. This is a weekend toy - so mostly driven in the evenings and only when the weather is compatible with top down driving. I mean - it has a top, but at that point I'll just take another car already.

It's funny - I am kind of snobbish about certain convertibles too - like not a fan of 911 or Corvette because I think those are proper sports cars and should be coupes. But I like muscle car convertibles like first gen Camaro, Chevelle, Firebirds, 442's. And I like the 6th gen convertible. I like cars made to be convertibles like the Z3/Z4 or Boxster.

It's all personal preference really. And I never really liked any convertibles until the last 5-8 years or so, but after owning a few now I do enjoy them. Although I won't say I'm converted and I am a droptop guy now - far from it. But I do like having one in the stable for now at least. Even at that I'm still considering trading it for a coupe. Ha.
If not a 1LE, then maybe a 997 or 991.

Last edited by c4racer; 12-10-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yes im in hb/oc area and it used to be my daily then i got a job 40 miles away almost 5 years less than 30k just weekend fun /track car for me

we have a bunch of tracks down here just like you guys have a few up there like thunderhill sonoma and laguna seca as long as you keep it stockish shouldnt have to worry about db limit days
Old 12-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #11
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
typical weekend trip to Sonoma - top down most of the time!
Except when parking...
Nice, that would be a typical weekend trip we would love to take... Instead we slowly deplete our Sonoma and Napa reserve from our last trip.

Otherwise, I empathize with the contemplation of moving on to a 1LE.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #12
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Nice, that would be a typical weekend trip we would love to take... Instead we slowly deplete our Sonoma and Napa reserve from our last trip.
Oh - I'm doing that too - finally making some headway this year! Ha!
Old 12-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #13
c4racer

I guess it's more like $5K...

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...hoCi_YQAvD_BwE

Probably not worth it. If I keep the car I might do aftermarket leather with suede insert to match the blue color of the car.

Honestly I am not super keen on tracking street cars that don't have a 4-6 point roll bar and harnesses plus race oriented seats. If I had a 1LE I don't think I would really track it more than a few times for fun. I am not putting a roll bar in my convertible for sure. I will be installing an autopower 5 point, harnesses and corbeu seats over the winter in my 71 so that car will then be full track worthy for next year.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I guess it's more like $5K...

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...hoCi_YQAvD_BwE

Probably not worth it. If I keep the car I might do aftermarket leather with suede insert to match the blue color of the car.

Honestly I am not super keen on tracking street cars that don't have a 4-6 point roll bar and harnesses plus race oriented seats. If I had a 1LE I don't think I would really track it more than a few times for fun. I am not putting a roll bar in my convertible for sure. I will be installing an autopower 5 point, harnesses and corbeu seats over the winter in my 71 so that car will then be full track worthy for next year.
Gotta love the 71!! Only you know what’s best for you, so I’m not going to try and change your mind one way or the other.

Oh and I love the wheels on the 6th Gen, they look sharp.I probably would keep my 1SS and added larger wheels / sticker tires and been done with it. But with the whole A8 debacle, I just through in the towel.

I’ve had the Z for a while, I found that there’s a couple combination pros and cons : The power is awesome, but can’t use it for more than a few seconds at a time. Even then, your at lock me up speeds in a few seconds. The seats are great while sitting in them. But getting in and out without scratching up the bolsters is a challenge( and to look cool while doing it) especially with the top up or in tight spaces. I’m 5’10” in shape and flexible. (Stepping over the plastic aero adds to the hassle) The micro suede seats, steering, wheel, shift knob and door panels are now a maintenance items. The freakin brakes, forget about the dust! The pads are getting changed in the spring.

I guess what I’m saying is I wanted the Z just like you want the 1LE. But practically speaking, for me - a 1SS, non mag ride ,10 speed, cloth seat vert may have been a better choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I really don’t think there’s a wrong a answer.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote