Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 11-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
ver

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Would like some advice on a paint chip touch-up and seat cleaner

Hey guys, I could use some advice on touching up a paint chip. While I was sitting in my car an elderly lady backed straight into it and lightly scratched up the front bumper. I feel like I can more or less polish/buff out most of the scratches as I can't feel anything when I run my hand over them, however there is one chip in the paint. Would it be too extreme/unnecessary to remove the whole front end and have it re-painted as I've been told would have to be done? The other option that I think I'm leaning toward more is just buying some touch up paint from Chevy and fixing it myself. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, fortunately I did get insurance information from her so if I do end up re-painting it that wouldn't really be an issue.

Also the force of the impact cause my passenger to spill a little bit of the drink she was holding onto the perforated seat. I sprayed some Mequiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner on the seat when I got home (about 7 hours later...) and let it soak in for a few seconds before wiping it off. I'm a bit concerned the drink seeped through the perforations and made it's way to the foam as I didn't have anything on hand in the car to use to wipe it up other than some printer paper which wasn't terribly useful at absorbing the spill, but I did wipe it down with some wet paper towel as soon as we got to our destination. Is there anything else I can/should do to make sure I took care of it?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Attached Images

ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
What was the drink?
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by ver View Post
Hey guys, I could use some advice on touching up a paint chip. While I was sitting in my car an elderly lady backed straight into it and lightly scratched up the front bumper. I feel like I can more or less polish/buff out most of the scratches as I can't feel anything when I run my hand over them, however there is one chip in the paint. Would it be too extreme/unnecessary to remove the whole front end and have it re-painted as I've been told would have to be done? The other option that I think I'm leaning toward more is just buying some touch up paint from Chevy and fixing it myself. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, fortunately I did get insurance information from her so if I do end up re-painting it that wouldn't really be an issue.

Also the force of the impact cause my passenger to spill a little bit of the drink she was holding onto the perforated seat. I sprayed some Mequiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner on the seat when I got home (about 7 hours later...) and let it soak in for a few seconds before wiping it off. I'm a bit concerned the drink seeped through the perforations and made it's way to the foam as I didn't have anything on hand in the car to use to wipe it up other than some printer paper which wasn't terribly useful at absorbing the spill, but I did wipe it down with some wet paper towel as soon as we got to our destination. Is there anything else I can/should do to make sure I took care of it?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Well I would suggest polishing the area out first and see what you are left with, go get some touch up paint from dealer, it should have colour on one end and clear on the other. Go to a craft store and buy cheap very fine tip artist brush, you can get them a dollars store as well sometimes. Using 2000 grit wet/dry ( black ) sand paper. wet the sand paper with water, very lightly just sand in the chip and 1mm to 2 mm around the chip on the painted surface, just enough to dull it a little, clean that spot with alcohol . Shake paint well and using your artist brush fill inside the chip and try not to go over , let sit for 15 mins and if you are satisfied with the coverage within the chip, then apply the clear over the chip letting it go over onto the 1 mm or 2 mm area that is dull from sanding, let sit for 24 hours and carefully flatten the repair down a little using the 2000 wet sandpaper. Then polish to a shine.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slem View Post
Well I would suggest polishing the area out first and see what you are left with, go get some touch up paint from dealer, it should have colour on one end and clear on the other. Go to a craft store and buy cheap very fine tip artist brush, you can get them a dollars store as well sometimes. Using 2000 grit wet/dry ( black ) sand paper. wet the sand paper with water, very lightly just sand in the chip and 1mm to 2 mm around the chip on the painted surface, just enough to dull it a little, clean that spot with alcohol . Shake paint well and using your artist brush fill inside the chip and try not to go over , let sit for 15 mins and if you are satisfied with the coverage within the chip, then apply the clear over the chip letting it go over onto the 1 mm or 2 mm area that is dull from sanding, let sit for 24 hours and carefully flatten the repair down a little using the 2000 wet sandpaper. Then polish to a shine.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a shot. Sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult as long as I take my time and be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
What was the drink?
It was a can of redbull.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Remember the seats are plastic and not leather. They are leather underneath but a plastic coating on top of them, you can't get to the leather. So you're cleaning plastic.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Remember the seats are plastic and not leather. They are leather underneath but a plastic coating on top of them, you can't get to the leather. So you're cleaning plastic.
Yeah, I used that product because I had it left over from my previous car and had purchased it before learning about all the plastic coating on leather seats these days. I figured it was still better than just water for cleaning out the stuff that made it's way into the holes.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Never wet sand edges, the least amount of paint on the exterior is always located on them. You can go through it quickly.

For the size of chip you have, I'd use your touch up paint, then use Langka Blob Eliminator to smooth it out.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Quote:
Glen,
I'm planning to use Poorboys natural look all around in the interior including the leather seats, should be ok?
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
DefianceDan
VroomVroom

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
I've had great success on chips with DrColorChip.com
Old 11-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM-FIFTY View Post
Glen,
I'm planning to use Poorboys natural look all around in the interior including the leather seats, should be ok?
Yup, everything. ...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Quote:
Yup, everything. ...
Thank you.
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote