Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
NorthTex45thSS

Drives: 2012 45th SS
Angry Please Help! Dealership totally letting me down!! Motor problem?

So i have a problem! I'll try to keep this short! My brothers and i have always been GM guys, our sister however has mostly been a 'ford' girl! after all she was named after Carroll Shelby After taking her for rides in my 2012 2ss 45th I have successfully converted her to a camaro girl!! So she bought a 2013 2LT! Now at 16,xxx miles she is having oil pressure problems!! Car is stock, maintenance done at dealership ontime to this point! I told her to take it to the dealer and they would take care of her! TOTAL FAIL!! They are giving her the run around and making her regret her purchase and making me look like an a##!

THE PROBLEM! - She started driving to work the other morning and she noticed the oil pressure gauge pegged at 70psi. she went through a few stop lights from start to stop and it didn't change, as she was about to pass the dealership she thought she better pull it in!

THE VERDICT- The dealership had the car for a couple days. They "Classic Chevrolet of Grapevine, TX" looked it over with no test drive, they called her and said that this is a recurring problem that is appearing on the v6 and their service bulletin says to NOT TRY AND CORRECT PROBLEM AS THERE IS NO FIX AT THIS TIME! What?? I would think from my motor experience-if proper oil and weight confirmed, if the motor sounds fine, oil is still getting to top end, all is within spec except oil pressure gauge pegged problem should be either SENDING UNIT or GAUGE MALFUNCTION or ECM MALFUNCTION right??

So they are telling her to come get the car and drive it as is until further notice? So now she is worried the motor is going to have problems later and the dealer will not cover it!! I have never liked that dealership since they were very shady with me when i was trying to purchase a car from them, so i ended up going to JamesWoods Chevrolet of Denton, Tx and they treated me great!! I couldn't be happier with them from purchase to service etc! But they are a ways from my sister and having bought her car from Classic she took it back to Classic.

So my questions are, has anyone else had this problem? If so what did the dealer tell you and or what did they do to correct the problem?

After years and years of preaching to my sister to come the GM side and the countless times taking her for rides in my modded SS with NO PROBLEMS, this is not what I was wanting! I know every brand of vehicle is going to have a unit with a problem here and there, its going to happen GM, Ford, Honda whatever! But customer service HAS TO BE THERE FOR THE CONSUMER! That will make or brake the BRAND before anything else in my opinion!!! Thanks for your time and help!

95 Kenworth W900L
powered by CAT
13 spd
NorthTex45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Bigcros

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
That's some bull. I'd be pissed.

Short term fix - go to a different dealership.
Long term fix - make a list of what's unsatisfactory that that dealership is doing, find some others that have had similar experiences with them; finally, as a group, contact a lawyer, other dealerships, friend groups, etc. Just get the word out that they're shady, and in order to keep a good rep, they'll have to change their ways.

Sorry that happened, by the way.
Bigcros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Is there another plug that you can attach a manual gauge to?
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Find another dealer if possible. Hold your temper; I know it's frustrating but irritating the solution holder won't help. The lemon law may apply, but that's generally after 3-5 visits for the same problem. Keep your eye on the ball and keep taking it back. Contact GM service and work with the service manager of the dealer. I just went through that same process about 2 yrs ago it works and it is very slow. I’ve got a 13 2LT no oil issues yet, but I'm only at 1500 miles.
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Yep, take it to another dealer, some dealerships are clueless about customer satisfaction, not to mention that the car is still under warranty.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Make sure she checks the oil daily if she does drive it. If it is not running full synthetic, get an oil change & put some in. If is does not have one put an oil catch can on that baby ASAP. Contact service reps on this site if they don't chime in here soon. And take it to another dealership if this one won't deal with it. just IMHO. Good luck & hope it works out soon.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I say just drive the hell out of it. If it blows it blows, there is a 100k warranty and a paper trail it was brought in.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
She may be getting the run around because she is a women. Dealerships like to push around people if given the chance. Maybe you should try going to the dealership with her and help her stand her ground.
JTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
could be an oil pump issue who know
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have had this problem on another car, not a Camaro.

If the oil pressure gage is pegged at the max, not moving at all, it's most likely a wiring fault or failed sensor.

I'm very skeptical about the dealer's story that there's no fix. You should see another dealer or contact GM to put the service bulletin to the test.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Take it to another dealer and see what they have to say.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I'm very skeptical about the dealer's story that there's no fix. You should see another dealer or contact GM to put the service bulletin to the test.
this. i hate dealerships like these. what kind of a bs explanation is that?

i'd do both...

call customer service.. it helped me weed through (typical) dealership bs in the past.

and go to another dealership... dealing with sketchy dealerships like those will likely just give you more problems

Customer Service
1.800-222-1020
http://www.chevrolet.com/help/contact-us.html
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Chevy9534

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
If there is a bulletin stating do not repair at this time all dealers will tell you the same thing. More than likely its not a motor problem or they wouldnt allow you to drive it. It was frustrating when my 13 made popping noises in the front end the second day i owned it. I went through the no fix at this time process and waited about two weeks before they updated the bulletin for a fix for it.
Chevy9534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Get GM and/or another dealer involved ASAP. Most people know low oil pressure is bad but high oil pressure is bad to. It can be a sign of a blockage which could be reducing oil flow to parts of the motor (IE DAMAGE). It could be a stuck pressure relief valve that could cause a pump failure or blow out seals and galley plugs. Either of these issues can cause a blown motor.

It also could be just a sending unit or bad gauge but I would hope the dealer eliminated those as potential causes. Diagnostic port scan should show what the computer is reading and any auto mechanic worth 2 cents should know how to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to confirm pressure.

I personally would not drive and get a dealer to provide a loaner and fix the issue.

No one wants a new car with a blown motor. Not good for your sister, the value of the car, or GM if it has to be replaced.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote