Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #99
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Which wasn't long.....
nope. once people started modding, hotdogging, and ultimately wrecking them insurance rates along with high gas prices and new MPG and emission standards brought the muscle car era to a quick end.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #100
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Had a V6 now have an SS. Plain and simple both are great cars and both are their distinct advantages.

V6 owners need to stop feeling inferior and SS owners need to stop thinking they are superior!

I usually try to stay out of these useless posts but for some reason I could not help myself today.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #101
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthook View Post
Sigh... everyone on here both V6 and V8 if you are arguing trying to decide which one is better, you're all losers. Give it up, its just a car. Why don't we all compare girlfriends/wives instead? That would be a much better competition.
The question is not, Which car is better? The question should be, Which one is a better choice for you? Nobody needs to argue that someone else made the wrong choice, because everyone on here made their choice to fit what they wanted or needed.

The OP just wanted the people that Bought V6 cars to tell why they chose the V6 over the V8. It should have never turned into an argument.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #102
LIVEVIL

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Have you torn one apart? Look at the crank and rods on a LLT/LFX and compare them to an LS motor.
So what's really the benefit of having these fancy crank and rods on the LLT/LFX when the lesser parts in an LSX are just are reliable and handle big power just as well? Just so you can tell your buddies you have high tech parts? If a stock LLT could handle 600rwhp while a stock LSX couldn't then yes I would say there's a benefit in having the higher tech. If a stock LLT could go 200k miles and not miss a beat while a stock LSX would blow up at 100k miles I would say yes there's a benefit in having the higher tech.

But when both of those things are achievable with an LSX, where's the benefit in these cranks and rods?

Quote:
I would bet a lot of it made its way into the new generation V8s already; we know VVT and DI is in the LT1.
So if the pushrod V8 is now getting all those fancy things that the V6 previously had over it (including high CR), what is your argument over the benefit of a high tech V6 then? Just so you can say that your bottom end is high end? Have you torn an LT1 bottom end to say for sure that it's got inferior parts compared to the V6 tech?
LIVEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #103
jrohan07

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Supercharged SLP
I love my wife, kid, and my camaro. In that order.
jrohan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #104
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
Cheaper gas. Cheaper insurance. Cheaper maintenence. Fast enough. Theres so much traffic here getting above 50mph is a great accomplishment. I couldnt justify the extra cost for more speed or HP I would never get to enjoy.
Really the only time I get to play around with mine is on the highway at night. I dunno what it is, but people around here are notorious for getting in the left lane and staying neck and neck with the slow right lane driver. At 5:00 it's annoying because traffic is backed up. Cops here in MS don't have much else to do but write speeding tickets, and I've already been pulled over twice with warnings. Not gonna chance a third time. And in my town, it's a certified retirement town, so forget doing ANYTHING fun there, especially in a car.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #105
CindyInIndy

Drives: 2013 Camaro Conv 2LT/RS M6 WHITE
My answer....My husband wouldn't let me
I wanted the V8 but did/do I need it ? Truthfully, no
So I have on order a Summit White 2LT/RS M6 Convertible and I'm ok with that. Actually I'm more than ok with it. I've driven all the versions and the main thing was I may be a female turning 50 in two weeks(my TPW same week) but I love to shift gears. So as long as it's a M6 (daughters can't drive manuals..lol) and a convertible I will be just fine. Got everything on it I wanted except GFX and hurst shifter. He was my voice of reason. Going from a 4cyl (Mits eclipse vert) to the V6 was going to be just fine for me. I'm never going to be driving it on a track either and personally I think he's just looking out for me because of the power of the V8. And I love him for that. Plus the extra obvious expenses that come with the V8 versus V6. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. lol
CindyInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #106
Rob3D

Drives: Car
I've owned 6cyl in the past and it was a simple case of economics. I think everyone wants an 8. There's alot of people that buy the 6cyl then try to get more HP out of it. The Camaro and M#$%&@g are made in the 6cyl so more people can have a beautiful car in the attempt to make these cars "a car for everyone". There's a reason the Vette and the like don't make a 6cyl. There's no reason NOT to be perfectly happy with your 6, but deep down I believe the majority of 6 owners yearn for an 8...I know I did. I couldn't afford the payment gas or insurance...

By that rationale, you will enjoy a 6 more than an 8 when you're not worried about a more expensive car costing you more than you can afford or WANT to afford and leave you able to afford aesthetic upgrades if that's what you're into.

Unfortunatley there will always be those who think a 6cyl is substandard or a "waste of money". Don't listen to that nonsense.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #107
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
If the v6 sounded like a v8, I wouldn't even look at the v8. Plenty of power in the 6, just as sexy as the 8, it's just missing the sound.
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #108
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEVIL View Post
So what's really the benefit of having these fancy crank and rods on the LLT/LFX when the lesser parts in an LSX are just are reliable and handle big power just as well? Just so you can tell your buddies you have high tech parts? If a stock LLT could handle 600rwhp while a stock LSX couldn't then yes I would say there's a benefit in having the higher tech. If a stock LLT could go 200k miles and not miss a beat while a stock LSX would blow up at 100k miles I would say yes there's a benefit in having the higher tech.

But when both of those things are achievable with an LSX, where's the benefit in these cranks and rods?
2.2X stock power by just putting forged pistons and some boost in it. Anyone done that with the LS3/L99???

So if the pushrod V8 is now getting all those fancy things that the V6 previously had over it (including high CR), what is your argument over the benefit of a high tech V6 then? Just so you can say that your bottom end is high end? Have you torn an LT1 bottom end to say for sure that it's got inferior parts compared to the V6 tech?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP asked why the V6. I assumed that was talking about what is in the 5th Gen, which doesn't include the LT1. I'm very interested in the LT1. In fact, it sort of is what I was expecting when I got the LLT...this tech will be in future V8s. I can't wait to see what the internals of a LT1 look like. I've had a great opportunity to learn what it can and can't take, what the limitations are, and how to make power from it...all the while having a 5th Gen Camaro. Get it???
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #109
LIVEVIL

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
2.2X stock power by just putting forged pistons and some boost in it. Anyone done that with the LS3/L99???
You can make 600rwhp in an LS3/L99 stock, much less with forged pistons. No it's not 2.2x the power it came with stock.

But does that matter? Does an engine that makes 600rwhp (vs. 270rwhp stock) win a race over an engine that makes 600rwhp (vs. 370rwhp stock)? Is that the argument, that it can multiply the power more before blowing up?
LIVEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #110
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEVIL View Post
You can make 600rwhp in an LS3/L99 stock, much less with forged pistons. No it's not 2.2x the power it came with stock.

But does that matter? Does an engine that makes 600rwhp (vs. 270rwhp stock) win a race over an engine that makes 600rwhp (vs. 370rwhp stock)? Is that the argument, that it can multiply the power more before blowing up?
It means that if the LT1 (or any future engine) GM may make could be easier to get bigger power out of if it is anything like the LFX. That's the point, I want to keep up front and not be left behind. I know my 3.6 L engine won't make the same power as a 6.2, 7.0 or whatever sized engine. The point is I've learned a lot from about the technology that GM is putting in fairly mainstream cars and I'm ready when they put it in bigger displacement engines.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #111
67convfirstowner

Drives: 1967 conv V-8 orig
Parked with my 46-year old rag top is a 2013 2LS. I haven't decided whether to call it the fastest car on the planet for less than 25K, or the fastest car on the planet with a 30 MPG rating. My other Camaro is the one with the rocker-arm V-8.
67convfirstowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #112
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
I think the V6 has come along way. And it does deserve some respect for that. My first camaro was a 91' with the 3.1 V6 in it and you dont even wanna know the crappy amount of HP in that thing lol. My biggest reason I will never go back to a V6 is because there just isnt the amount of mod choices out there for the V6 like there is the V8. Im glad to see more aftermarket stuff is out compared to when the 4th gens were out, but it still lacks from what I can do with a V8. For those that dont care about power or mods or anything then the V6 is a great option and for those of us that pure unbridled horsepower flows thru our veins we ahve the V8. Just depends what kinda person you are.

Besides in the end its not whether you got the V6 or the V8, but that you bought a Camaro and not a yucky mustang.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote