Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #85
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This would be great! GM can sell the V6 as the base Corvette and compel the V8 crowd to upgrade to a V8 Z06 or other upgraded Corvette. This could be interesting.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #86
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgui View Post
It's time to move on though, like all things, engines change and evolve - -otherwise we'd all be racing our carts around and travelling with steam-powered trains or boats!
This isn't a question of "moving on". For example, we build our houses out of wood. People have been doing this for years. It's strong and easy to work with. We could "move on" and build our houses out of carbon fiber or plastic, but wood happens to cost a fraction of the price of "advanced" materials and does the job just fine.

It also just happens that a large V8 makes big power and torque for significantly less money than a V6 with all the doodads stuck onto it to make it as powerful as a normally aspirated V8.

Why should we "move on" just for the sake of "moving on"?

There are a lot of things in life that are just fine and yet some people have it in their heads that we need to change things because the way that works is "wrong" because it hasn't changed in hundreds of years.

What's next? Are we all going to have to start eating food with our butts and excreting out our mouths (South Park Reference) because we need to "move forward" or 'advance"?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #87
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I'll dump my Camaro in a heartbeat for that Corvette!
if you do decide to dump your CAMARO just dump it in my garage LOL

Last edited by GEEo; 08-06-2010 at 11:02 PM.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #88
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
This isn't a question of "moving on". For example, we build our houses out of wood. People have been doing this for years. It's strong and easy to work with. We could "move on" and build our houses out of carbon fiber or plastic, but wood happens to cost a fraction of the price of "advanced" materials and does the job just fine.

It also just happens that a large V8 makes big power and torque for significantly less money than a V6 with all the doodads stuck onto it to make it as powerful as a normally aspirated V8.

Why should we "move on" just for the sake of "moving on"?

There are a lot of things in life that are just fine and yet some people have it in their heads that we need to change things because the way that works is "wrong" because it hasn't changed in hundreds of years.

What's next? Are we all going to have to start eating food with our butts and excreting out our mouths (South Park Reference) because we need to "move forward" or 'advance"?
i like your point bro! and the good examples

Last edited by GEEo; 08-06-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #89
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I agree bro! the TT V6 will pretty much gunna weight like the V8 or probably little heavier.

What's the point of changing the V8's to V6??? to gain more mileage??? but if the V6 has a TT its pretty much gunna have the same mileage with the V8's maybe even lesser mileage than the V8's gets.

anybody agree??
True. It's still going to take premium,etc. Look, for those that have had experience with C5/C6 Corvettes know that they can get great gas mileage. Just go to Corvette Forums and you'll see that people with a 505hp ZO6 can average mid 20's and close to 30 mpg highway driving. The V-8 doesn't need to go anywhere, the Camaro just needs to lose weight.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #90
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWheelerIV View Post
Not at the present moment... but as I implied earlier you need to look farther down the road than 6 months. There needs to be a vast improvement of the combustion engine. When gas climbs to $7 a gallon and all your getting is 24-28 mpg in your v8 and there is a modified V6 making 30s with very close performance outputs and similar costs. Its not hard to see where the majority will fall. Where the majority goes the money and the companies will follow.

Im just saying everyone needs to look at the whole picture not just my car sounds better than yours.
There's only one way that Gas will climb to $7.00 a gallon and it will have nothing to do with speculators or consumers.

Instead of reinventing the car, we should be taking the easier route of making sure the supply of fuel is plentiful.

If gas ever gets to $7.00 a gallon you can bet that most people will be scratching their heads wondering "Why?" while they are standing a few thousand feet above a centuries long supply of $1.75 a gallon gas.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #91
n!ght r!der
That Guy

Drives: really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post

I like that shirt!
http://www.gearheads4life.com/

they show the camaro shirt on the homepage, but I could only find one with a mustang on it
n!ght r!der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #92
92z28

Drives: 1992 camaro z28
If they do this, I will gut the Camaro's insides and throw in a big LS3 into it!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #93
King T

Trust me fam when you sink $890M into developing and racing a new engine it's going to be around for a while:
C7 Corvettes to be Built with New 5.5L 440hp V8
Quote:
Motor Trend has recently heard from GM sources that the C7 Corvette will feature the next-generation 440 horsepower, 5.5 liter small block V8 engine.

This V8 engine will come equipped with aluminum blocks and heads, direct injection, E85 capability and a new combustion system. Prototypes of this engine are already being tested in Detroit.

To ensure this becomes a reality, GM has already invested $890 million to develop the power plant. The small block V8 will maintain much of its traditional overhead-valve layout, but will reduce manufacturing costs due to its more compact dimensions.

So what can we expect from this new engine? Well, the reduction to 5.5 liters will allow the C7 to run a larger restrictor while still producing the same amount of torque. Fuel economy will significantly improve through the use of some lighter weight materials as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #94
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
Dumb question, but for all of us peeps who are not engine experts. Can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages of a V6 Turbo vs naturally aspirated V8, assuming that they produce the same amount of hp and torque ?

Thanks!
If they produce the exact same amount of HP and Torque???

Let me count the ways:

For that to happen, the V6 would have to use a lot of expensive technology which drives up the cost.

The V6 would likely weight more, unless they used a lot of very pricey exotic materials.

The V6 would be pretty much "maxxed out" and anyone adding a mod or a tune wouldn't get as much of a power improvement per dollar invested.

The V6 would wear out sooner because it's revving higher and has a lot more moving parts.

Maintenance costs for the V6 would be higher because of all the tech involved and the amount of moving parts.

(And the real "important" differences)

The V6 could match the peak HP and Torque numbers, but that would only be true at the peak output numbers. A V8 generally makes much higher numbers across a wider range of RPMs, so the V8 feels "strong" at any RPM. The V6 would have matching power at a much narrower RPM band (high RPMs) so it wouldn't pull hard if you were starting at a low RPM.

The V6 wouldn't sound like a V8.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #95
King T

Quote:
Originally Posted by n!ght r!der View Post
http://www.gearheads4life.com/

they show the camaro shirt on the homepage, but I could only find one with a mustang on it
I see what you mean!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #96
tru imperial blu
4 8 15 16 23 42

Drives: ibm 1lt/rs
where can i find a better picture of this particular corvette on the cover of the article(not transformer one)
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #97
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Before you all get your panties in a bunch over nothing....how many times have we heard this? The Corvette is possibly....no, not possibly -- it IS the most performance oriented vehicle in GM's lineup.

If they have a mind to switch to a twin-turbo V6 for the base model...it's because that system can do something vital to the Corvette's purpose that a V8 can't. But this isn't an announcement...it's not even information passed down from a GM employee (they sold Saab, remember?) So this is all a big IF not worth wasting the effort on. They won't do it for no reason...and as you're all pointing out -- there's really no glaring benefit.....the engineers aren't stupid, and they've got performance in their blood. I really wouldn't worry too much.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #98
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
True. It's still going to take premium,etc. Look, for those that have had experience with C5/C6 Corvettes know that they can get great gas mileage. Just go to Corvette Forums and you'll see that people with a 505hp ZO6 can average mid 20's and close to 30 mpg highway driving. The V-8 doesn't need to go anywhere, the Camaro just needs to lose weight.
yea bro its totally how you drive like me for example i have the LS3 and when im just cruising i get like 20 - 22 mpg not bad for a 426hp V8?? and my mom drive's a V6 cadillac and she gets 12 MPG avg. and its a V6 and mine is a V8 and i get better mileage. but offcourse if Im having a little to much fun with the V8 i get like 10 avg. LOL V8's doesn't need to go away people just needs to learn how to drive efficiently.

and i do really agree that the camaro's need's to loose some weight.