Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
V6 1LE... anyone?

Has anyone autox'd or even tracked a LT 1LE yet? Anyone considering it?... Does anyone have an opinion on its future? I want to get one (will be my 3rd camaro) after the FiST is played out this season, but I won't if it stays in BS.
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
I ran a solo event in Deland a week ago and did pretty well with it. Finished 2nd of four cars in BS. The winner is a long time Central Florida autocrosser and several time regional champ. That was my first autcross in about 16 years.
It was a lot of fun, and don't discount the car completely in BS just yet. With the right tires and shocks it might just be competitive.

I'm also doing a track day in North Florida the 31st and Track Night America in West Palm Beach next month.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Thanks Mr. Griffin.
I wont count it out completely, but all the physics and competition are telling me other wise. I do understand that its a difficult car to class, I just think FS makes more sense. Is it not, basically, an SS with a V6 motor?

Did you test drive a new SS while looking at your 1LE?
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Buzzberd6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumLabowski View Post
Thanks Mr. Griffin.
I wont count it out completely, but all the physics and competition are telling me other wise. I do understand that its a difficult car to class, I just think FS makes more sense. Is it not, basically, an SS with a V6 motor?

I agree with you, and yes I also think it should be in FS. I did have a conversation with one of our regions Solo officials about the classification that day and he was under the impression that it was configured the same as the SS 1LE (wider wheels & Mag shocks etc). I informed him of the differences.

I have also discovered since then (by a member here) that the SAC is well aware of the differences between the two models and that it is basically an SS with a V6 powerplant. I believe what I was told is that they (the SAC) possibly erred on the side of caution due to the differences. That being the case I think there will need to be some serious efforts made with the car in BS to see whether they did indeed err ..or got it right.
I'd love to try it but I'm just not in that position at the moment.

Letters can be written in to request a change but I've also dealt with this kind of thing for years on the Club racing side. If a serious effort is never shown to have been attempted with whatever vehicle, a change in classification is not likely to take place. I'm not complaining, just pointing out how the SCCAs process seems to work.
I could always be proven wrong though.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I agree that the cars are not classed properly.

IMHO, 2LT 1LE should be FS and the SS 1LE should be BS.

The problem is how the SS 1LEs did at the 1st National event this past weekend. 4th and 5th out of 10 (1-3 Z06s) may make them feel this car is classed correctly.

I hope more 1LE drivers (AS and BS) get their cars out to some additional National events so the Board will have sufficient data to revise their classing. This means you Buzzberd.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I agree that the cars are not classed properly.

IMHO, 2LT 1LE should be FS and the SS 1LE should be BS.

The problem is how the SS 1LEs did at the 1st National event this past weekend. 4th and 5th out of 10 (1-3 Z06s) may make them feel this car is classed correctly.

I hope more 1LE drivers (AS and BS) get their cars out to some additional National events so the Board will have sufficient data to revise their classing. This means you Buzzberd.
They will look at the difference in times and what national level drivers are doing more than what place they finished. I will be at Crows Landing Tour in April. I think/hope they will be in BS/FS next year.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
I think the reason its classed in BS rather than FS, the same with the v8 1le in AS rather than BS is because they are special model cars. Over the years the SCCA has tried to limit the "you must have this car in this trim to win a class" kinda cars... example the MSR miata, the le mans spec audi tt.

Its going to take people running these at national events to get data allowing them to say "yes its classed correct" or "its classed wrong"
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Buzzberd6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumLabowski View Post
I forgot to answer this but no, I didn't. Believe it or not I wanted the V6 powered car all along. ESPECIALLY when Chevy announced that they were doing a 1LE version.

I had numerous people tell me "you want the V8" all along too. Didn't sway me though. I've had two V8 first gens in the past, one was a SS396 convertible.

This car is hands down better than either of those ever were...also has more horsepower than either of them.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzberd6 View Post
I forgot to answer this but no, I didn't. Believe it or not I wanted the V6 powered car all along. ESPECIALLY when Chevy announced that they were doing a 1LE version.

I had numerous people tell me "you want the V8" all along too. Didn't sway me though. I've had two V8 first gens in the past, one was a SS396 convertible.

This car is hands down better than either of those ever were...also has more horsepower than either of them.
I am sitting back on the 1LS/1LE. They don't seem to be selling very well. I am out to get a killer deal, I have already seen them advertised at under $30K with the Recaros. If they do the 20% off thing again, in theory a 1LS/1LE with Recaros and no other options should fall around $28K. There won't be many around, but I only need one.

On the other hand, the 1LS 2.0T cars seem to be doing pretty well at AutoX, and I have seen those for under $20k! Of course, you have to qualify for a bunch of unobtainable rebates to get that, but even at $22K that would be tempting.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote