Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #295
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Selfish much?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #296
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Thank you, Camaro_Corvette!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #297
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
OP! Is it OK for me to swap the ZL1 bumper but have better looking ground effects, hood and wheels...
Love your wheels, however not a fan of your hood, or GM GFX with the ZL1 front end. ZL1 front end flows with the ZL1 rockers and diffuser that's why I opted for it and won't be doing any major body modifications. Hood reminds me of every import out there including the EVOs and RX-8's I see unfortunately on base. I do love the color choice you picked though. That's why your driving that and I'm driving what I drive. Overall looks clean and very sharp. Looks better than most on the forum.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #298
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
OP! Is it OK for me to swap the ZL1 bumper but have better looking ground effects, hood and wheels...
That looks Amazing! I can't wait to get my heritage grill installed in my ZL1. It makes all Camaros look so much better.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #299
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
No problem, but lets try to keep Camaro5 levels of respect in here.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #300
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Love your wheels, however not a fan of your hood, or GM GFX with the ZL1 front end. ZL1 front end flows with the ZL1 rockers and diffuser that's why I opted for it and won't be doing any major body modifications. Hood reminds me of every import out there including the EVOs and RX-8's I see unfortunately on base. I do love the color choice you picked though. That's why your driving that and I'm driving what I drive.
To each his own! I was thinking about the ZL1 hood, but didn't think it was doing enough heat extraction being too far forward. This hood is so much better than the ZL1 hood for the summer heat down here in Texas. BTW, the hood is very similar to the "ricer Viper" hood and friend of mine had on his Viper...

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #301
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
To each his own! I was thinking about the ZL1 hood, but didn't think it was doing enough heat extraction being too far forward. This hood is so much better than the ZL1 hood for the summer heat down here in Texas. BTW, the hood is very similar to the "ricer Viper" hood and friend of mine had on his Viper...
The ZL1 hood is primarily designed for under hood pressure relief at high speeds to increase downforce and reduce front end lift, the heat extraction is a side benefit.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #302
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Makes sense, don't get me wrong I loved what you done. You took on a less is more approach which I like and nothing is overdone. Simplicity as its finest. The wheels are sexy, the hockey stripe and the white liner in the rims sets it off.
I know exactly what Viper hood your referring to, a buddy of mine has it on his, lol.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #303
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
No ZL1 badges man..
This pic is for you since you like my car so much.

No lol
Hey man! You take those ZL1LT badges off there right NOW! ...oh wait, never mind.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #304
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
That's the best you could come up with?
well its just that simple if you keep on replying i will come up with a more complicated definition. i did expect such a reply .... it is what it is..
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #305
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Technically, heat extraction is better served with the opening further forward from the base of the windshield than you might think. What you want for heat extraction is the vent opening to be in an area of low pressure. Base of windshield is high pressure, exactly what you DON'T want and why it's a good place for things like HVAC fresh air intake (and cowl induction on carbureted cars). Somewhere ahead of that you have a negative pressure region.

Which sort of brings me back to the topic of whether I'd use ZL1 parts on a non-ZL1 Camaro.

If I was after the same functional reason as GM had for their existence in the first place, absolutely. I'd have the benefit of OE engineering and durability testing and a pretty good guarantee of fit.

I would absolutely not do it for appearance.

Norm
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #306
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Technically, heat extraction is better served with the opening further forward from the base of the windshield than you might think. What you want for heat extraction is the vent opening to be in an area of low pressure. Base of windshield is high pressure, exactly what you DON'T want and why it's a good place for things like HVAC fresh air intake (and cowl induction on carbureted cars). Somewhere ahead of that you have a negative pressure region.

Which sort of brings me back to the topic of whether I'd use ZL1 parts on a non-ZL1 Camaro.

If I was after the same functional reason as GM had for their existence in the first place, absolutely. I'd have the benefit of OE engineering and durability testing and a pretty good guarantee of fit.

I would absolutely not do it for appearance.

Norm
I do agree with the high pressure region at the base of the windshield, but with the scoop too forward like the ZL1's, you are really doing a lot more for smooth flow path to reduce the pressure under the hood for aerodynamic down force purposes and heat extraction is secondary. The water tray on the ZL1 effectively reduce most of the heat extraction capability anyway. If someone provide a CAD file, I might run my own CFD runs just for fun...

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #307
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
WTF???

A zl1 is a joke. Most SS models with boost or a good n/a build kick their asses.
Why would anyone care about cloning a zl1 is my question.

a zl1 is basically a waste of a supercharger.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #308
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I do agree with the high pressure region at the base of the windshield, but with the scoop too forward like the ZL1's, you are really doing a lot more for smooth flow path to reduce the pressure under the hood for aerodynamic down force purposes and heat extraction is secondary. The water tray on the ZL1 effectively reduce most of the heat extraction capability anyway. If someone provide a CAD file, I might run my own CFD runs just for fun...
Seems to me whether the reason is for heat extraction or downforce/avoidance of lift you still want the vent to exit into low pressure. I may never drive at 150+ mph, but if I ever do I'll want any front lift at least minimized, which comes right back to the same choice of hood.

Norm

Closed Thread