Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #85
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
If you buy a 1LE and never take it to the track, I think you are missing out. You should buy whatever you like, but I also think you should take it somewhere that you can see what all that money buys. Same for the SS, ZL1, Z/28 etc. Take them out and enjoy the power and control they provide at least once. These are amazing machines.
Agreed. I personally don't see the merits of buying a 1LE if you're not going to do some kind of motorsport. But people can do what they want to with their money.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #86
GDAGR8

Drives: Camaro-future
The question I'm going back and forth on right now. I keep going back to the 1le because of these two main reasons . Price $20k cheaper and curb weight 200lb difference (auto zl1) and I'm not sure how much a sunroof adds on the zl1. I'm also liking the looks of the 1le a little more.
GDAGR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #87
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Agreed. I personally don't see the merits of buying a 1LE if you're not going to do some kind of motorsport. But people can do what they want to with their money.
Simple math from my point of view, Personally the way I would want a 1SS optioned out;
Base 37,600
Mag Ride 1,700
Dual Mode 900
Ft Fascia 610
Blade Spoiler 690
MMR Rims 1400
Tires 1184
=$44,084 OR for $43900 I could get all of those in a 1LE package and have the better seats, the suede shifter and steering wheel, ELSD, 6 Piston Ft Brakes, HUD and the option to add PDR

Now to be fair I would have the factory set of SS rims/tires I could sell for maybe $1000 to $1500 +/- and I could get aftermarket front fascia and rear blade spoiler to save a little, but still when the difference is this close and you are getting the better brake package, ELSD, Seats, HUD, etc.

It's a hell of a value and I don't have to do any extra installation, no extra selling of take off parts and it's all warrantied.

Once I get it I will likely take it to the dragstrip, even though that's not it's intended use, and I would love to take it to a road course at some point, but I wouldn't be purchasing the car for that purpose, It would likely be my daily driver.
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP

Last edited by TransAmx2; 11-14-2016 at 11:32 AM.
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #88
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Don't forget HUD. 1ss is a tad too Spartan for me, but the seats and HUD fix that. Only other things missing that I would want are the better stereo and nicer door panels. Easily fixed.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #89
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Don't forget HUD. 1ss is a tad too Spartan for me, but the seats and HUD fix that. Only other things missing that I would want are the better stereo and nicer door panels. Easily fixed.
Dam, I did forget about the HUD, and Option to add PDR which you can't get on the SS. Fixed my comment above
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #90
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Its a bone head question to get some honest answers.

For those fortunate to have a second car for recreational purposes would you choose the 1LE over the ZL1?

There is the obvious performance/power advantages of a ZL1. But then the added practical points such as mpg, weight and NA engine. While the ZL1 will be a monster, a 460 HP 6.2 liter engine is very capable.

Anybody here who would take a 1LE over a ZL1?

Thanks
There's a large, quiet group of car enthusiasts who love to track and whose favourite moments of driving are taking a series of sweeping turns apex to apex...

If your one of those people you realise any extra weight you can rid....especially nose weight... you get better cornering...

I can GUARUNTEE you the 1LE corners better and feels better thru the apex than a ZL1....

sure the ZL1 will brute force it's way out of the corner exit... but for true track rats prefer sublime balance and carrying their speed thru the twisties over using power to compensate for a 4000 pound curb weight and a nose heavier car with an extra 100 pounds of motor that sits at a higher C of G...

I would save my money...wait till the power train warranty was up...then have it rebuilt stronger with a non AFM cam for more natural aspirated power by a good engine builder... better reliable power with no weight increase....
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #91
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
There's a large, quiet group of car enthusiasts who love to track and whose favourite moments of driving are taking a series of sweeping turns apex to apex...

If your one of those people you realise any extra weight you can rid....especially nose weight... you get better cornering...

I can GUARUNTEE you the 1LE corners better and feels better thru the apex than a ZL1....

sure the ZL1 will brute force it's way out of the corner exit... but for true track rats prefer sublime balance and carrying their speed thru the twisties over using power to compensate for a 4000 pound curb weight and a nose heavier car with an extra 100 pounds of motor that sits at a higher C of G...

I would save my money...wait till the power train warranty was up...then have it rebuilt stronger with a non AFM cam for more natural aspirated power by a good engine builder... better reliable power with no weight increase....
And.....end thread.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #92
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

Excellent points especially considering the question (why 1LE over ZL1).
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #93
tx6g1le

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:

tx6g1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Manual for manual...you're looking at 3747 lb 1LE and a 3883 lb ZL1.

136lb difference total between the two is far less than last generation. A lot of that is in drivetrain/brakes...probably about half of it in in the engine.

That all said...you're right. In fact, you're soooo right, because it's one of the reasons I opted to buy a 14 1LE and trade in my 12 ZL1. However, this generation, while still true, I think the difference will be much more subtle.

And if you add the automatic (just for kicks) that 35 lbs (or 61, whatever the real number is) is put right dead-center, and as low as you can get...might not even notice that....

They're both great cars.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #95
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
You may be on to something, if one was only going to use the car as a commuter car then buy a 2SS with manual transmission, 2 mode exhaust, and blade spoiler for the same amount of money.

You get cooled/heated seats, full spectrum lighting, better sound system, wireless charging, and probably a few other things. You will add a lot more comfort to the car then what you would get with the 1LE especially if you don't plan on using the performance of the 1LE.

though I would add mountain/canyon driving as a qualifier for the 1LE package.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #96
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Nice points! Also there's nothing more frustrating at the track than the guy in front of you in the brute force car. He holds you up in the corners so you can't get a good rhythm going then blows you out of the water in the straights so you can't pass.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #97
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Nice points! Also there's nothing more frustrating at the track than the guy in front of you in the brute force car. He holds you up in the corners so you can't get a good rhythm going then blows you out of the water in the straights so you can't pass.
I remember racing motorcycles back in the 05-07 timeframe. I was on a GSXR 750 racing against 1000s. I would kill them through the twisty sections only to watch them walk away down the straights. I'd sometimes have to pass a guy 2-3 times to get away from him.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #98
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
For me if I'm going to use the car for Autocross (which is what I do now with my 2013 1LE) I would choose the 6th gen 1LE because you are never going to be able to use the ZL1's 650HP on an Autocross course. You are always in the lower gears where the torque is multiplied by gearing anyhow so all you will end up doing is spinning the tires and not getting anywhere. And with the 1LE being lighter than the ZL1 it will be more nimble and handle the back and forth transistions better. So there are times where having too much power/torque doesn't help you...especially if you have not learned throttle modulation yet and use the gas pedal as an on/off switch for the engine.