Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #183
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Kid View Post
What's Next? Electric Camaro?!!
A 2.3 L supercharged Vega engine.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #184
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post

That's honestly how I feel, I also think that there's a lot more work going into getting better mileage out of the smaller cylinder motors, unfortunately.
It's funny that you use a mopar to prove your point. They have the most displacement with the least power. The mustang has the smallest displacement with far more power than the other two. It isn't the 60's anymore where that saying came from.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #185
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd View Post
i am so lucky to have an zl1. My dream was ever the zl1.

for me its not a problem, when the 6gen comes on 4 zylinder. then i now, what i have, and the v8, and the zl1 or the v6 is more cool and dangerous.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here ,but
I'm sure that the next camaro will dust the current zl1. It wouldn't surprise me if they improve it before the gen 5 camaro is done.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #186
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahdir View Post
Considering how fast the Tesla Model S (Performance Edition) is, give it 20 years
If I had over $100K to spend on a car, it would not be an electric anything. It would most likely be a Viper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Some people want their perfect car with the perfect engine (insert whatever's appropriate for you in both those places) and they don't want any other option.
I'm all for options. But replacing engines with small turboed engines, and not offering NA is not more options, it is fewer options. And reducing options while offering only the more expensive alternatives is called screwing your customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Turboed cars have been very reliable for ages. I can't say anything about airplanes but the car I'm driving isn't my first turbo car.

Yes you can abuse a turbo car so that the turbo fails. Some cars have inherent flaws that destroy the turbo. Some have other flaws that destroy other parts of the engine or car. It's not the turbo or not turbo that is the issue, it's how the rest is designed.
I usually keep cars for the long run, so turbos scare me. I don't care how good some people say they are, to me, they are a several thousand dollar unnecessary time bomb ticking away under the hood that NA cars do not have at all.

If GM (and Ford and all the others too for good measure) are so confident that there are no longevity issues with them, and want to convince me that it won't potentially cost me a fortune that a NA engine wouldn't cost me, they should put full lifetime warranties on the turbo and any related component that a NA engine wouldn't have. After all, if they really are in all cases good for the life of the rest of the engine as they are trying to convince me of, it wouldn't cost them a thing. If not, I'm not interested.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #187
Genob4c

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm with you fellers.

Delmar.

Former:
2013 ZL1 Vert – Crystal Red
1978 Corvette Pace Car
1969 Pace Car
1969 Z/28 – Cortez Silver, 1974 LT/Z28 Blue
1974 Z28 Dark Green , 1976 Camaro Type LT – Black
1980 Z28 – Charcoal, 1981 Z28 – Dark Blue
1981 Z28 – Claret, 1982 Pace Car
1986 IROC – Red, 1993 Z28 – Red
1996 Z28 vert, 1998 Z28 Dk Blue
2002 B4C 2004 Vette – LeMans Blue
2008 Vette - CRT
2011 Camaro Pace Car
Genob4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #188
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post

That's honestly how I feel, I also think that there's a lot more work going into getting better mileage out of the smaller cylinder motors, unfortunately.
wow Mr. 3.4L V6, with someone else's ZL1 in your sig pic. How can you say that?
You've been chatty lately. 1300 posts since last month.

I WILL NOT hesitate to buy another 2.0T product from GM again. My 09 SS Cobalt was fun...it was wrong wheel drive, but still fun. 300HP/320TQ with the GM Performance upgrade and tune. It still returned 30+ MPG on the highway.
They make awesome and unsuspecting daily drivers....Kinda wish I still had mine.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #189
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here ,but
I'm sure that the next camaro will dust the current zl1. It wouldn't surprise me if they improve it before the gen 5 camaro is done.
Its not important to me, if the next camaro are better. Actually is the 5gen camaro the nicest thing.
I will drive a lot of years with this car, and have my pleasure. It have a lot of other cars, then ar better, or much powerfull the the zl1. My second ride is a viper rt/10. this car are awesome to. Sure the srt have more power, but i drive my cars in switzerland. I dont need it for races. For me, its very importment how the car sounds. And the zl1 have stock some incredible sound!
I know, in usa you have the cars, there are much louder then, the stock. But loudness is not all. And in switzerland we have alot of laws,this make the cartuning very difficult.
I love the sound of a v8.

And when the next camaro come with 4 zylinder, its nothing to me. That was, what i try to say! Then i make the right decision to buy an zl1 for 950000 dollar

But i love this car
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #190
Blast

Drives: 2009 SAAB 9-5 Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I'm all for options. But replacing engines with small turboed engines, and not offering NA is not more options, it is fewer options.
The discussion is about adding an engine, a Turbo I4. That there is speculation that it may or may not remove some of the existing engine(s) is a totally different thing. As most have said, they likely won't remove the V8.

Quote:
I usually keep cars for the long run, so turbos scare me. I don't care how good some people say they are, to me, they are a several thousand dollar unnecessary time bomb ticking away under the hood that NA cars do not have at all.
That is up to you, but you're ragging on something not because it's worse, but that you're scared of it. I honestly don't know how to respond to that. ...

Quote:
If GM (and Ford and all the others too for good measure) are so confident that there are no longevity issues with them, and want to convince me that it won't potentially cost me a fortune that a NA engine wouldn't cost me, they should put full lifetime warranties on the turbo and any related component that a NA engine wouldn't have. After all, if they really are in all cases good for the life of the rest of the engine as they are trying to convince me of, it wouldn't cost them a thing. If not, I'm not interested.
Why would an engine component have a different warranty simply because of the fact that some people haven't used them before?

Turbos on cars have been around since what .. The 60's with SAABs being first to use them and BMW shortly thereafter?

I'm sure you can name loads of turbo cars that have had engine issues and I'm sure I can name loads of N/A cars that have had engine issues.

Let's agree to disagree.

Turbo-engines aren't for you, fair enough. But the discussion here is about adding them to the lineup, not replacing and adding = more choice.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #191
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:

The must be very confident in them, they carry the same warranty as a N/A or supercharged engine ...
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #192
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post

I WILL NOT hesitate to buy another 2.0T product from GM again. My 09 SS Cobalt was fun...it was wrong wheel drive, but still fun. 300HP/320TQ with the GM Performance upgrade and tune. It still returned 30+ MPG on the highway.
They make awesome and unsuspecting daily drivers....Kinda wish I still had mine.

My thoughts are the same with my Sky with rear wheel drive ... The car has 50k miles on it and still going very strong. Handed it over to my daughter for her first car.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #193
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Mustang II here we come again.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #194
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
It's funny that you use a mopar to prove your point. They have the most displacement with the least power. The mustang has the smallest displacement with far more power than the other two. It isn't the 60's anymore where that saying came from.
I just picked a random picture...I in no way used mopar to try and prove a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post

I can say that because I've owned v8s in the past and they are far more fun than a v6.

Got a problem with me posting here and learning about a Camaro before I buy one? Please let me know... it'll probably not make me leave.

Maybe if you weren't such a jerk you'd realize why I post so much... the people here for the most part are awesome guys and girls and they're a good time to talk to.

And I openly said that isn't my pic... took it from a video... it said 'have' by the Monte and 'want' by the zl1 but I took that off because it looked goofy sometimes. Thanks for your concern though.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #195
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
The must be very confident in them, they carry the same warranty as a N/A or supercharged engine ...
All engines undergo the same testing before they're warranted.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #196
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
All engines undergo the same testing before they're warranted.
Just out of curiosity do you know what that testing consists of?

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th generation camaro, alpha camaro, alpha platform camaro, camaro 4 cylinder turbo, camaro alpha platform, turbo 4 camaro, turbo 4 cylinder camaro