Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #29
Don57
Drives a beast!

Drives: Yellow 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSkull View Post
i wonder why the Camaro and Firebird had the their best sales in 1979 ? just sems like a odd year for the most units sold ? wasn't the economy also bad around that time ?
That was right before the wealth gap between the ultra-rich and everyone else (which had remained relatively stable up until then) started to grow out of control, leading to the economic mess we're in today.
Attached Images

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
That was right before the wealth gap between the ultra-rich and everyone else (which had remained relatively stable up until then) started to grow out of control, leading to the economic mess we're in today.
interesting data. wonder what took place in 79 to cause that?
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
So 3,800,000 people have more effect on the economy than 308,000,000 people do. Wow...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
Don57
Drives a beast!

Drives: Yellow 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
interesting data. wonder what took place in 79 to cause that?
I don't think it's a single event that started this -- I think it's a combination of events that have been ongoing ever since. The causes are pretty complex, but it's basically a case of the rich getting richer at the expense of everyone else. This is what the Occupy protests were all about. There's even a name for this: The Great Divergence.

If the 1%ers had not started taking far more than their fair share for these past thirty years or so, we would all be able to afford ZL1s today. I've read other articles that calculated how much the 99% would be earning had this not started happening and it works out to be that we should all be earning almost twice what we earn now. So, if you are making $50K a year today, you would have been making $100K a year had the 1%ers not been so greedy for so long.

This is pretty much why the economy is in the tank: the people who *really* create the jobs and keep the economy going by actually *spending* money -- i.e. the 99% -- have had their money effectively "stolen" from them by the 1%.

But I digress; this is getting too political.

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
What tools/laws are available to the rich that are not available to anyone else is smart enough to take advantage of them? You act as if people woke up one day and said, "Hey, somebody stole my money!"

It's my experience and opinion that the rich get richer because they know how to make and handle their money. In most cases, parents who don't know how to handle money pass their bad habits and perceptions of personal finance on to their children and the cycle begins anew.
You clearly have no concept of what its like to be born poor...

must be nice to imagine that everyone actually has the same opportunities and not have to face reality.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
What tools/laws are available to the rich that are not available to anyone else is smart enough to take advantage of them? You act as if people woke up one day and said, "Hey, somebody stole my money!"

It's my experience and opinion that the rich get richer because they know how to make and handle their money. In most cases, parents who don't know how to handle money pass their bad habits and perceptions of personal finance on to their children and the cycle begins anew.
Some people just are so eager to blame the wealthy for everything.
Just think if I can only afford to invest $1000 in stock and it goes up 10% I make $100. But if a wealthy person can afford to invest 1,000,000 in stock and it goes up 10% he makes $100,000.. That's how the rich get richer faster. But the normal person does not have the vast resources the rich do so our wealth is slower to increase. Then again if the stock market decreases the same 10% he has more to lose so his risk is greater.
Playing the stock market is almost like gambling, never risk more than you can afford to lose.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #35
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
So 3,800,000 people have more effect on the economy than 308,000,000 people do. Wow...
When they end up with 50% of the wealth then yes they do.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
When they end up with 50% of the wealth then yes they do.
Show me the figures that show they have 50% of the wealth....
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #37
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Some people just are so eager to blame the wealthy for everything.
Just think if I can only afford to invest $1000 in stock and it goes up 10% I make $100. But if a wealthy person can afford to invest 1,000,000 in stock and it goes up 10% he makes $100,000.. That's how the rich get richer faster. But the normal person does not have the vast resources the rich do so our wealth is slower to increase. Then again if the stock market decreases the same 10% he has more to lose so his risk is greater.
Playing the stock market is almost like gambling, never risk more than you can afford to lose.
I dont blame anyone for anything. Fact is I was born into a certain economic status as were they. Just takes a hell of a lot of work for me to get up into their status. So much so that its virtually not achievable. Having said that they dont need billions of dollars, they could afford to raise pay for employees and lower their own DRAMATICALLY
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #38
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfirstSS View Post
I dont blame anyone for anything. Fact is I was born into a certain economic status as were they. Just takes a hell of a lot of work for me to get up into their status. So much so that its virtually not achievable. Having said that they dont need billions of dollars, they could afford to raise pay for employees and lower their own DRAMATICALLY
Born into a different economic status?.. How do you know that?
Do you think that CEO started out his business life making millions of dollars a year? He probably at one time had a job similar in status as you do now. So how did he get to that position? Just as you said it took a hell of a lot of work to get to that status..... What makes you think you should get his money he worked his butt off to get where he is? Did you do anything to deserve it?
That's what's wrong with this country vilify those that make something out of themselves saying they don't deserve what they worked their whole life for. I bet you wouldn't want to give up a penny of what you earned because someone that makes less than you do says you don't deserve it.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Born into a different economic status?.. How do you know that?
Do you think that CEO started out his business life making millions of dollars a year? He probably at one time had a job similar in status as you do now. So how did he get to that position? Just as you said it took a hell of a lot of work to get to that status..... What makes you think you should get his money he worked his butt off to get where he is? Did you do anything to deserve it?
That's what's wrong with this country vilify those that make something out of themselves saying they don't deserve what they worked their whole life for. I bet you wouldn't want to give up a penny of what you earned because someone that makes less than you do says you don't deserve it.
Are we talking about someone in specific now? Because how do you know this CEO wasnt born into a better economic status? I never said he should give me any money...what the hell are you talking about?

We are talking about rich getting richer, im saying he doesnt need 80 billion dollars and if he wanted out of the goodness of his heart to only make 30 mill next year instead of 60 mill then he could pay employees more, i mean at some point isnt there just too much money for one person? Chill out bud. I didnt vilify anyone maybe you should reread posts I think you confused me with someone else...
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #40
doc7000

Quote:
Show me the figures that show they have 50% of the wealth....
Been living under a rock have we...
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #41
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Been living under a rock have we...
No but I don't begrudge people for having money...and I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone how much money is too much to have and what they need to do with it.

Sorry but this has gotten way off topic....
I'm done.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 01-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #42
doc7000

Quote:
No but I don't begrudge people for having money...and I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone how much money is too much to have and what they need to do with it.

Sorry but this has gotten way off topic....
I'm done.
I dont think anyone or at least most people do nor begrudge someone for having money. However are economic problems stem from too much money in the hands of two few and a lack of any political will to do anything about. The longer nothing is done the worse things will get economically.