Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Davidd_SS

Drives: LSX FTW
MYLink Unlock!!

What's up guys!? Happy New Year to all!

Would anyone happen to know of a place where I would be able to get my mylink unlocked? possibly in south Florida? I know gen5diy does it but I cant wait for the turn around time. Anyone?
Davidd_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
audiowhiz

Drives: 2005 Corvette M6
Dealer maybe ? Not sure.
audiowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
~$125 @ Dealer all day long
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
Davidd_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
~$125 @ Dealer all day long
I though the dealers couldn't do them? It's a retro fit
Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
audiowhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidd_SS View Post
Old 01-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
How do you "lock" the MyLink radio?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
gen 5 turn around is not bad at all they are alilttle more expensive but honestly they are the best
Old 01-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
audiowhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeflyhereSS View Post
gen 5 turn around is not bad at all they are alilttle more expensive but honestly they are the best
$500 is quite a bit more than a "little". That's what they quoted me.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
It's a 1 hr labor charge to program a "new radio" at the dealer but hey, if you want to pay someone else $500 to do the same thing

The entire "myLink" retrofit/upgrade/swap idea became completely extinct with the PAC dash kit release on 9/1/16. The costs and headaches associated to take this avenue are mind boggling to pursue, especially after understanding the junk quality and limited features associated with myLink. Naive buyers are being conned into buying used Schoche/Metra kits and myLink radios allowing prior owners to upgrade to flagship NAV radio models for pennies on the dollar.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
Davidd_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
It's a 1 hr labor charge to program a "new radio" at the dealer but hey, if you want to pay someone else $500 to do the same thing

The entire "myLink" retrofit/upgrade/swap idea became completely extinct with the PAC dash kit release on 9/1/16. The costs and headaches associated to take this avenue are mind boggling to pursue, especially after understanding the junk quality and limited features associated with myLink. Naive buyers are being conned into buying used Schoche/Metra kits and myLink radios allowing prior owners to upgrade to flagship NAV radio models for pennies on the dollar.
I didn't pay a penny for the unit, was going to sell it but figured Id try to get it unlocked and install it. even paying $500 its still better than buying a double din and the pac dash kit imo. I would buy the harness needed from gen5diy but cant see myself forking up that kind of money plus shipping my unit over to them without looking locally first. I would have to call some local dealers but to my knowledge they aren't able to do it?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
I didn't pay a penny for the unit, was going to sell it but figured Id try to get it unlocked and install it. even paying $500 its still better than buying a double din and the pac dash kit imo. I would buy the harness needed from gen5diy but cant see myself forking up that kind of money plus shipping my unit over to them without looking locally first. I would have to call some local dealers but to my knowledge they aren't able to do it?
Im looking at the same idea. I don't like the install kits. If someone wants a new install kit. I will buy it for them in trade for a MyLink setup.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
Im looking at the same idea. I don't like the install kits. If someone wants a new install kit. I will buy it for them in trade for a MyLink setup.
Even obtaining a free myLink, there is no price point justifying the use of installing it. You're talking about making a conscious decision of paying $399 for a 50" LG 720p TV instead of purchasing the flagship Samsung 4k SHUD model for $499.

Double DIN flagship aftermarket models can be had with the PAC kit NIB under $800. Used HUs from reputable resellers are easily available under $600 installed (DIY). Add usable NAV that is patchable with upgradable maps for another $100-ish.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #13
Davidd_SS

Again, I'm not justifying installing it. but when you have one that you didn't pay anything for I don't mind paying $500 for an unlock and install harness when the PAC unit alone is $300 + the cost of a double din comparable to a mylink with nav is north of $400. I know the Mylink has been known to have issues, but so has the PAC unit and all other kits like metra ect.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #14
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Again, I'm not justifying installing it. but when you have one that you didn't pay anything for I don't mind paying $500 for an unlock and install harness when the PAC unit alone is $300 + the cost of a double din comparable to a mylink with nav is north of $400. I know the Mylink has been known to have issues, but so has the PAC unit and all other kits like metra ect.
If you have a NAV mylink you're just proving my point even more. Sell it to some schmuck for $400, add the $500 you're willing to part with to get it programmed and some harness and go buy a real radio.

Used Double din Nav Exceleron units are are $200-$300 all day long. PAC kits are as low as $225 and most (ALL) known issues with the PAC kit are amateur hour related. There are retail certified vendors selling PAC for $275 (even lower if you're in a club) and even DDMods is giving the kit away for free with purchase of one of their radios. Honestly though, if you're having this much trouble figuring out a myLink system with the full weight of the step-by-step walk throughs previously posted on this forum over the past 7 years, the real trouble is going to begin when you open your console up.

I highly recommend paying a professional.

Good luck with your install, cheers.