Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
6gen2ss

Drives: Black 2SS, Adrenaline Red, MRC, MN6
Maintenance Schedule For New Car

Hi

Is there a place where people like me (newbies first time camaro owners) can go through the maintenance schedules for new car. I have seen the owners manual and this link

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...20Schedule.pdf

I have read in few threads some mentioned to change oil around 1000 and some around 1500. I drive a manual transmission some mentioned to change rear axle fluid around 1000.

Now I am @925 miles and the oil life is 89%. Could some body help us out with the information like when can we change oil and other necessary stuff.

If you guys can make short list like

First oil --- *** miles or ** months
axle fluid ---*** miles or ** months

Thanks in advance
Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
viewska

Drives: Red Hot Vert
Nothing wrong with being too cautious when it comes to fluids. I’ve read to change the rear diff at early if you plan to track, but 1000 for the oil seems soon. I would wait until you pass the 1500mi break in period for your first one, then some people say 5k with old schoolers saying 3k. The engineers who designed the engine who listen to the engineers who test the DesOs formulated oil say 7,500. You’re not wrong if you change at any of these intervals.
viewska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
If you are a normal user stick to the recommended intervals. The first change after 1000 or 1500 doesn’t make a difference. If you go on track than you should inform yourself about oil and engine wear in depth. Otherwise just follow the maintenance schedule.
And now wait and see
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The owners manual recommends a break-in period for the car.

It recommends driving the car at various speeds and not locking in at one speed or RPM for extended amounts of time.

It recommends NOT exceeding 4,000 RPM during this break-in period. Please note that this is NOT AN ABSOLUTE. If you happen to cross the 4,000 RPM threshold a time or two, your car will not turn into a turd, your engine will not seize up or fall out of your car.

It recommends getting your first oil changed at or around 1,500 miles. This is primarily to eliminate any metal chip sediment that may (or may not) become present in your engine because of the rotation of new metal parts as you break in your engine. After that, change your oil as YOU are comfortable, but NEVER exceed the recommendation of the Oil Life Monitor that is included in the car. That's what's telling you that you have 89% oil life. Ignore it for your first oil change, and get that done at 1,500 miles. After that, you can decide if 3,000 feels right, or 5,000 or 7,500. Since we added the OLM (I say we, because I worked in Service Engineering at the time that OLM was initiated) I have personally always let the OLM guide my oil change practice. Exception being when I decided I would track the car. I typically err on the side of caution and change the oil immediately after tracking.

Hope that helps.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
change the diff at 500 and 1000-to 1500. It will be black at 500. Then change it again at 1000-1500. It will stay nice and clean. Then change it every 20k after that. follow the Camaro Performance manual. GM does not want to tell the average customer they need to change fluids befor 3000 miles so the owners manual lies. Ya it will probably get you through the warranty without blowing up but it better if you change them.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
If you don't plan to track your car then just follow the owner's manual. Oil change when the light goes on, around 5k miles, don't worry about the diff fluid, doesn't need to be changed until 45k. If it breaks during the warranty period, Chevy will have to fix it so don't worry about it.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Leadrightpedal

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
change the diff at 500 and 1000-to 1500. It will be black at 500. Then change it again at 1000-1500. It will stay nice and clean. Then change it every 20k after that. follow the Camaro Performance manual. GM does not want to tell the average customer they need to change fluids befor 3000 miles so the owners manual lies. Ya it will probably get you through the warranty without blowing up but it better if you change them.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf
Well said. Average consumer is absolutely right. And what do they care about what happens after 36/36,000?
Leadrightpedal is offline   Reply With Quote