Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


JDP Motorsports


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
hawk02
Coupe Newbie
 
hawk02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,761
HPE 750 Upgrade

Found this video Hennessey just posted to YouTube. The torque curve after the mods is an absolute beast.

__________________
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
zl1_tommy
 
zl1_tommy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 286
Sweet. Im sure that will only set you back like 20K.
__________________
2017 Camaro ZL1
Instagram: @ZL1_Tommy
Youtube: ZL1 Tommy
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
Nitro66215
 
Nitro66215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post
Sweet. Im sure that will only set you back like 20K.
750 package? I'm thinking $25K...
__________________
***********************************************
2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(

2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(

2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(

2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
hawk02
Coupe Newbie
 
hawk02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,761
The description included with the video is a bit misleading. It says the mods on the car are an air intake, long tube headers, high-flow cats and tune. I thought my goodness 80 rwhp and 100 rwtq for an intake, headers and tune is awfully darn impressive. However, looking up the HPE750 package on the Hennessey website you'll find that it also includes a pulley upgrade.
__________________
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Nitro66215
 
Nitro66215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
The description included with the video is a bit misleading. It says the mods on the car are an air intake, long tube headers, high-flow cats and tune. I thought my goodness 80 rwhp and 100 rwtq for an intake, headers and tune is awfully darn impressive. However, looking up the HPE750 package on the Hennessey website you'll find that it also includes a pulley upgrade.
I haven't been on there in a while. Do they not upgrade the CAM too?
__________________
***********************************************
2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(

2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(

2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(

2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie
 
hawk02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro66215 View Post
I haven't been on there in a while. Do they not upgrade the CAM too?
No mention of a cam with the 750 package on his website.
__________________
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Z_Rocks

 
Z_Rocks's Avatar
 
Drives: everyone crazy...
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
The description included with the video is a bit misleading. It says the mods on the car are an air intake, long tube headers, high-flow cats and tune. I thought my goodness 80 rwhp and 100 rwtq for an intake, headers and tune is awfully darn impressive. However, looking up the HPE750 package on the Hennessey website you'll find that it also includes a pulley upgrade.
I also had the same question & suspicion on the gain, until you mentioned the pulley.

I had recently talked to a Corvette tuner that upgrades the Z06 and he said, due to small S/C over spinning the S/C with change of pulley, causes more heat and lowers the life of S/C and the internal bearings of S/C. They had already seen problems with over spinning that S/C on the Z06. It's too bad GM didn't use a 2.3 or something like Whipple's 2.9.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Clearly_Canadian
 
Clearly_Canadian's Avatar
 
Drives: '93 S10, '86 Iroc, Cobalt, Cruze RS
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 147
Annnnd cue the, "I would never let him touch my car", "John's a crook..." debacle begin......
Clearly_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
FNxR3DNECK

 
FNxR3DNECK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS 1LE w/PDR
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
Annnnd cue the, "I would never let him touch my car", "John's a crook..." debacle begin......
I'm surprised every reply on this post hasn't been saying that haha
__________________
IG: @NC_M1SS1LE
FNxR3DNECK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
nosoupforyou
 
Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS, 17 Shelby GT350
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
Annnnd cue the, "I would never let him touch my car", "John's a crook..." debacle begin......
lol! well..... he is
nosoupforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
ron scubadiver
 
Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 551
When 650 HP is not enough...
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
Nitro66215
 
Nitro66215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
Annnnd cue the, "I would never let him touch my car", "John's a crook..." debacle begin......
Well.... there is a lot of R&D ... and Tuning.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
When 650 HP is not enough...
Right though!
__________________
***********************************************
2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(

2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(

2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(

2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
travislambert

 
travislambert's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 821
I wish Hennessey would use SAE numbers instead of STD. Maybe that's just my preference, but it seems GM and most other shops are using SAE.

... and you don't really need headers or a CAI to make that kind of power on an LT4. The stock exhaust manifolds are pretty awesome and the airbox really isn't that bad either. All you really need is a tune to unlock the power (and I have the car to prove it).

I'm not saying aftermarket components aren't sometimes better, but IMO many folks are a little too eager to buy into all of the marketing when the stock components are actually pretty good (and in some cases better). Swapping components is a good way for shops to make money, but it's unnecessary in many cases.
travislambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
Evolvedx27

 
Evolvedx27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2005 Outback
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I wish Hennessey would use SAE numbers instead of STD. Maybe that's just my preference, but it seems GM and most other shops are using SAE.

... and you don't really need headers or a CAI to make that kind of power on an LT4. The stock exhaust manifolds are pretty awesome and the airbox really isn't that bad either. All you really need is a tune to unlock the power (and I have the car to prove it).

I'm not saying aftermarket components aren't sometimes better, but IMO many folks are a little too eager to buy into all of the marketing when the stock components are actually pretty good (and in some cases better). Swapping components is a good way for shops to make money, but it's unnecessary in many cases.
Before and after dyno results are the only way to truly determine that... independent tests by Joe Blow. Not the company saying their parts make power and showing dyno graphs.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.