Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
Junk, fix, or sell?

I bought a 1993 Chevy k2500 with 130,000 miles and rebuilt tranny for $500. Anyways, I finally got it home and started to nut and bolt a bit on it and discovered the flex plate is broken. I thought at first that it was a rod knock but upon further investigation appears the noise is coming out of the bell housing. The transmission was rebuilt in 2001 at 103,000 miles. The drum brakes needs some attention. The truck wasn't driven for two years and at least the front passenger brake is basically dragging.

1. Should I junk it? The scrap value is maybe more than I paid for it.

2. Should I fix it? Looking at $1500-2000 to get it roadworthy.

3. Should I sell it for what I got in it and let the next buyer know what they are getting?

I like having a truck, but $2000 right out of the gate makes me pause. Without knowing what kind of transmission repair it got over a decade ago and whether it was shoddy work that caused the flex plate to fail or if it was just a random failure.

I welcome opinions.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I'd make it a matter of simple math: Will the KBB/ NADA value meet or exceed your purchase price + repairs?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
20Camaro11

The math says not to bother. The assessed value is about $1500. Math works that way on almost any used car within reason. The back story is that this used to belong to my father in-law who passed away last year. I worry that my mother in-law is going to be offended if I junk it or think that somehow I am financially gaining from all this if I sell it. If I thought that the flex plate was only problem, I would fix it. Brakes are a wear and tear part and I already knew that cost was coming when I agreed to buy it. I feel that flex plate failures are rather rare and suspect that maybe the last transmission job wasn't quite right and that led to this flex plate failing. I don't want to just start dumping money into an entire drive-train.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Since it's a family vehicle, is there any emotional attachment to it?

If there isn't, then dump it.

If there is, you can't put a price tag on memories.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Couldn't you take it to a tranny place to see if it was done right or why the flex plate broke? 100 diagnose fee isn't too bad to swallow to find out.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
seems like ya gotta keep it.. get the diagnosis, pick a piece and begin..it doesn't make sense dollar wise, but you're stuck..
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
My father has a K3500 single-wheel 454 4x4. Your 2500 would be similar and probably has the 4L80 behind a vortec 350? Maybe?

Anyway...I am trying to figure out how you are getting to 1500-2000 for all the fixes. The tranny drop to fix the flexplate should be a couple hundred if you find a decent used externally balanced one...local engine shops probably have them stacked up in a milk crate somewhere. Unless you are wanting to go back through the tranny, then the fix is not that expensive. You may lose a little fluid, but not a lot.

Drum brakes are as easy a fix to a shadetree mechanic as tightening a lug nut. Parts for bands, slave cyl., and even new drums would be around 150 a wheel for the back and probably another $150 for a new front caliper, rotors and set of pads for both sides. Good time to flush and fill the brake fluid too, but that is just time...not much money.

You may have other things going on to get you to a 2000 max spend, but I would believe you could get your immediate list done for cheaper.

Go shopping for parts at RockAuto, then go shopping for someone with a small garage (if you can't do the work yourself) and get a quick estimate.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.

Last edited by ClawSS; 06-20-2014 at 08:13 AM.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
FYI, a local shop to me fixed a lost reverse and 2nd gear in a 4L60 in a 96 2wd c1500 for me for $500...that was them doing the extract, repair/rebuild, reinstall.

Point is, chevy trucks are easy to work on, all mechanics know them...and they can last for ever. If you want a truck...sounds like you are in one for kinda cheap. If you really DON'T want it...sell it.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Having some possible family ties/ sentimental value does change things.

Look at the owner of Papa John's: He paid a quarter of a million to get his old 2nd generation Camaro back. And, If I had money to burn, I'd pay that to get my old Cutlass back.

Maybe just sit on it for a while... see if you accidentally stumble across and easy fix, or find out just how much the truck means to the mother- in- law.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
20Camaro11

I appreciate the input from everyone here. I took all of your opinions along with some friends, family, and my own judgement and decided to take it in for the service. I don't know how much sentimental value it really has for my mother in-law. It really was just a work truck. It was a work truck at a major farm equipment store pulling farm machinery for 9 years and then put to work pulling a boat two to four times a year for the next 10.

I decided that given it's work history, a failed flex plate probably should not be unexpected. The service repair shop I intend to use quotes an estimate of about $700 for the flex plate. I think the rear main seal is leaking too, so I will have them replace that and the front seal on transmission all at the same time. The brakes haven't been serviced in 6 years, but don't have many miles on them, so that is kind of an unknown.

I want a truck and for what I will have in it, I can live with it. I would do the repairs myself, but unfortunately I don't have a garage or even halfway adept mechanical skills. I understand how most of these parts go together and how they work, but the whole process of taking apart and putting it back together in an efficient manner eludes me. I would have more time and bloody knuckles in one drum brake than a mechanic will have in all four.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Junk it! Find yourself a better truck.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote