Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #57
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
This is one of those topics that some people will just feel that no matter what actions GM takes to remedy the situation, they will NEVER be satisfied.

People will also quickly jump to the conclusion that it was all profit/money related, even if it wasn't and you showed them tons of proof to show that it wasn't.

I have read numerous stories on this, and what happened (from what I could read) was just a series of mistakes/errors that several people made.

heck, it one article I read, it mentioned that the switch engineer discovered the low torque problem, but then moved to a different job (article didn't say why) the next day.

We can sit here and speculate all we want and come up with all types of conspiracy theories till the cows come home. Maybe it was the third gunman on the grassy knoll.

Am I satisfied with the steps GM has taken in having an independent person investigate what happen? Yep. Does it appear that GM's CEO has stepped up and taken drastic steps to add more safety engineers, institute more controls to help identify future safety concerns? yep.
Has Mary read the report and in turn fired 15 different people some of them top executives and at least one lawyer that was somehow involved in what happened?yep.

Am I satisfied that GM is doing everything it can to ensure this doesn't happen again? yep.

CAN it happen again? sure. No system is perfect.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #58
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
They are all "foreign" cars now.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #59
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
The latest news about GM and its failures does not necessarily make me more concerned about the quality of their current products. My Camaro is not driven much, but so far has been relatively reliable. It has been in for warranty work 4 times in 4 years which I don't think is probably that much by industry standards but as the owner..seems too often for a new vehicle. That stated, I am not taking GM's own financed investigation and subsequent report as gospel as to whether or not this was a case of inept work practices and poor management or as some believe...criminal malfeasance. I also believe that effectively, old management and new management is still the same. This is a Corporate culture that goes back decades. These executives handpick their successors and that often means nothing changes from whatever has been broken for years. As a consumer, I do the research. I look for complaints and common threads of complaints in vehicles I may purchase. Every manufacturer is going to have lemons because humans are still heavily involved in producing them. I have yet to meet any human who doesn't make mistakes...whether by choice or ineptness.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #60
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
It's actually everywhere, be it GM, military, government, or the church. It just strikes close to home when it could affect our Camaros.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #61
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
I remember going on a tour at the Harley Engine plant every time you turned around you seen made in china on part Boxes. They didn't even try to hide it just the way it is now days. <
Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #62
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Gm in my oppinion has made great cars for a long time. I would also say especially their flagship cars have been great quality for the buy. The newer (2005 and up) suburbans, tahoes, corvettes, camaros, denalis, escalades, silverados, impalas, regals, and lacrosse are all great buys and will last you forever.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #63
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
How can you seriously not understand this? Your attitudes strike me as the "**** it, I got mine" mindset.

I do love my car, but I am quickly losing any respect for GM because of their handling of this situation. The decisions they've made to cover up the truth and minimize the deaths of those 13+ people are nauseating. And I won't encourage their behavior by spending any MORE money on their vehicles. It's called integrity and it's amazing that this concept has to be explained to rational adults.

Hell, if Nikes had a defect that caused people to die and Nike covered it up, I'd hold them to the same standards.
I fully understand your disappointment regarding the ignition switch issue. I imagine any fan of GM feels the same way. Though your word of integrity (or lack there of in this case) sure fits the situation, I think accountability may be the real issue. We live in a society where many feel they no longer have to take accountability for their actions. It is always someone elses fault, problem or responsibility. In this case, it has spilled into corporate world. I will continue to support GM because they build the vehicles that I want to own, and I do not find any of the other manufactures any more immune to this problem. I Hope this cause GM to rethink its approach. Just my $.02.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #64
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
I am profoundly disappointed in the way GM handled this. I'm also not at all pleased with CEO Mary Barra's handling of this either, seems to me the firing of middle men and engineers while no corp. people were blamed, or fired was an attempt to kick the can down the road. I feel that she's saying "ok, there! I fired the bad men who did this, now we can get back to business". Sorry Mary, it doesn't work that way. I don't believe for a second that these middle men & engineers went rogue and decided on their own to not fix a potential problem. Since when did GM grant autonomy to middle managers and engineers? Someone or someones in upper level management are being protected, these guys that were dismissed look like scapegoats.
I agree with everything else you said but this. It's likely that GM didn't know for a long time what the issue was. Who the **** hangs more than 1 lb off their keychain? It's also likely that any senior people that did decide to hide this are no longer at GM. In the past few years most of GMs senior management has left, even Lutz is no longer there... So it wouldn't really remedy anything to fire people that weren't involved.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #65
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
GM has issued more recalls just recently today. Camaro is included.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/06/g...evy-buick-gmc/

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/g...other-problems
Old 06-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #66
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Everything is "bad" to an engineer. Perfection does not exist, only acceptable levels of defects.

This has been true for hundreds of years, and oddly is still true today.

If automakers had to stop making all parts with defects, you would not have a car, just an empty parking space.

Hopefully the wingnut lawyers don't realize that all windshields are distorted. All. No exceptions. Then they could sue every mfr for nearly all accidents claiming they KNEW about the visibility problem and did not fix it.
lol, I guess denial really isn't just a river in Egypt. are you seriously dismissing the whole thing on the grounds engineers are perfectionists
Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #67
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Yea, OK! I would like to hear ppl say that now! GM has it's issues but Toyota has the same issues with all of it's models! Even its high price models! That's just crazy! My wife was going to buy a Toyota over a Mercedes and Lexus ! She was going to get the toyato because its quality ! But she said never mind , after I showed her all the Toyota models had the issues!

it's not just mechanical. hell, I can just go out in my driveway and see the difference in how the panels fit together on my camaro and other cars and see the lower build quality in the camaro. don't even have to open a door or take if for a drive to see the lower quality.

now that being said, I'm not dogging my camaro. it's a good car and I love it. as far as reliability, being as it's only had one recall and no power train warranty work I'd give it an A+ but build quality would be a B-, and interior materials and trim a C. the domestics have come a long way, and closed much of the gap. they just aren't all the way there yet.

and for the record, I do not currently, and never have owned a Toyota. IMO, they're the most boring, uninspired vehicles on the road. cookie cutter cars built to appeal to the largest possible number of people.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #68
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Yup, GM is sure in deep trouble. 2012 Camaro owners better check it out.

GM issues four new recalls, three involving air bags
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...bags/10088747/
Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #69
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
If you hang a bunch of weight off your Nikes and go swimming, but do not how to take your shoes off, you will die.

and you keep putting that myth out there despite the fact it has absolutely nothing to do with it. do you intentionally avoid facts, or just ignore them?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #70
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Great now my 2012 Camaro has an airbag recall along with my 08 Yaris where the clockspring needs to be replaced. Guess I will just drive my kids 95 Buick. Heck, even my 06 Caravan had an airbag recall. Maybe we just shouldn't put airbags in cars anymore.
"Green Flash"

Closed Thread