Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #29
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Love my A6, think I will give M6 a try on the next one. Just to see whats so special about it.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #30
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam99 View Post
If your getting tired of knuckledragging jackassery from the M6 mafia, here is some info that you actually asked for. The 6L90E is supposed to be much faster in gear changes in the ZL1 (as per the videos chevy put out at the zl1 launch) however they still are a bit laggy when using the tap shift. My 2010 SS was an M6 so I can't give you a comparison to the L99, but it's not a super fast gear change like a DCT is. In my honest opinion the tap shift is fun to play with, the rev matching is pretty sweet, and I would use it on an autocross or roadcourse. If you take it to the drag strip, just put the sucker in M mode and let it shift. Much better than the paddles. It comes down to what you want out of it. M6 is entertaining with gear shifts and can give a sense of satisfaction from the mastery of powershifting. It becomes alot less entertaining when your stuck in stop and go traffic. When adding power there becomes more of a learning curve of what clutch will work or gives you the street manners you want, and the clutch cylinder is no work of art and can be problematic (clutch pedal sticking to floor under power is a great example). The auto is bulletproof and loves power, no muss no fuss. Some people have to define their manhood by having three pedals in the car and have to impose that mindset on anyone that will listen. The 60's rocked! Cruising around in your big block Camaro with a 4 speed made you king of the neighborhood, but it's 2014 and cars have changed. Some people cant let it go. Which is funny because you hear the same tired shit about the auto means the car is driving you and the M6 means you are master of the machine that bends to your will, however these guys that are the "drivers" still rely on a car that has more driving technology built into it than you can imagine with 5 modes of traction management, traction control, two modes of suspension damping, and magnectic ride control just to name a few. Should that be removed to truely be in control of the car and not the otherw ay around? But no an auto means car is in control, manual means you are master of the vehicle. I digress. So do some soul searching and make sure youre not "that guy" or the auto will be a huge dissappointment to you and will surely lead to buyers remorse. They are both good in their own way, but it's personal preferance and what style driving you do the most.
Not sure why you always vigorously attack the M6 crowd, but it appears like you have an inferiority complex regarding your A6. I don't mean a complex about anything else but your tranny, so don't think I'm attacking you.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I have a question for the auto guys.

do you tapshift or just let the computer shift?

I find the computer does a great job but the tap shift I don't like that much as I would like.

For the record I have two kids and can still hit a nat at ten paces so I think my testoserone levels are just fine.
Computer is great for 1/4 mile, tap shifter are great for road type course if you are just working two or three gears.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #32
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
A6 = If you want to get the most consistent and best drag race times.
A6 = If you value comfort above driver interaction.
A6 = If you are unfortunately handicapped. Auto is great for enabling most to drive.
A6 = If you have other drivers at home who cannot operate a manual.

M6 = If you like your driving skills to be challenged, many times getting humbled by the car.
M6 = If you enjoy being a bigger part of the driving experience.
M6 = If you track or autocross your car. There is a reason GM chose the M6 for the Nurburgring = better times.
M6 = If you are a sports car traditionalist.

Can't we all just get along? Hahaha.

Last edited by BigBoyBlue; 04-14-2014 at 02:28 PM.
BigBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #33
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
OP, mine is not my daily driver, nor do I drag race. However, I play on the road course occasionally and do some spirited weekend driving. Therefore, I opted for the M6. If you're buying a new M6 you can also save $1300 in gas guzzler tax that you can spend on mods.
Also, I've never had someone look in my car at a car show and say, "Oh, it's only a stick"

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #34
MaxxMuscle
Blanchard Performance

Drives: 2014 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
A6 = If you want to get the most consistent and best drag race times.
A6 = If you value comfort above driver interaction.
A6 = If you are unfortunately handicapped. Auto is great for enabling most to drive.
A6 = If you have other drivers at home who cannot operate a manual.

M6 = If you like your driving skills to be challenged, many times getting humbled by the car.
M6 = If you enjoy being a bigger part of the driving experience.
M6 = If you track or autocross your car. There is a reason GM chose the M6 for the Nurburgring.
M6 = If you are a sports car traditionalist.

Can't we all just get along? Hahaha.
I agree 100 %. I have an auto because years of lift heavy weights at the gym ( only 46 ) have taken there toll on my shoulders and and legs.
My wife is the stick driver in the family and she never miss a shift
MaxxMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #35
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
Thank you guys for the input. It was a tough decision until I actually made the order.

I drove both back to back.
I enjoyed the A6 as it was laid back no thought in shifting, just point and go!
I really enjoyed the M6 as I felt part of the car while driving.

I chose the M6, having an auto since 99, it was just time as I felt I just rediscovered my passion for driving with the M6.
ghostrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #36
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider2 View Post
Thank you guys for the input. It was a tough decision until I actually made the order.

I drove both back to back.
I enjoyed the A6 as it was laid back no thought in shifting, just point and go!
I really enjoyed the M6 as I felt part of the car while driving.

I chose the M6, having an auto since 99, it was just time as I felt I just rediscovered my passion for driving with the M6.
Good call!
In regard to drag racing, I think it is a great challenge every time I pull up to the lights and know I have to hold the throttle at exactly the rpm the track conditions are giving me that day, then drag the clutch just enough not to bog the motor out of the hole, then give it full throttle just fast enough that it doesn't blow out the tires, then bang the shifts as fast as possible at exactly the max rpms before it hits the limiter..3 times....all in about 10 seconds..... And when the other car loses (which they usually do) not only was my car faster, but I drove it. Screw the testosterone....I'll take the manual. You auto guys have no idea how challenging drag racing can be...lol.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #37
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I have a question for the auto guys.

do you tapshift or just let the computer shift?

I find the computer does a great job but the tap shift I don't like that much as I would like.

For the record I have two kids and can still hit a nat at ten paces so I think my testoserone levels are just fine.
Lol, I hit a rat on my back fence the other night from 15 yards at dusk with my pellet gun and I drive an auto.

I like manual either using the tap shifters, when I am just running two or three gears, just have to watch the rpms or use the hud lights. Or drop the accelerator in manual mode and unleash monster mode, that is one fun transmission. And yes I drove manuals for years and understand that connection "but by God this is the twenty first century" (Waffles impersonation), you don't see anyone turning a crank on the front of their car, that will be the fate of the manual transmission.

Last edited by Sven59; 05-10-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #38
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
No disrespect to any of the posters or one camp or the other...but saying that a M6 allows a person to get better track times is like me equating if I buy the $900 Taylor Made driver, it will allow me to drive the ball farther and more accurate. All of that would be true if I was a professional, the reality is the $900 Driver allows me to hit the ball another hundred yards into the weeds. There is something definitely true to the statement of driver interaction that the A6 will never be able to match. I have driven my A6 hard a time or two on some twisty back roads...and the sport mode keeps it interesting. I contemplated a M6 before I bought the A6 on impulse one afternoon. I can't say I regret it. It was a fortuitous decision since a decent amount of arthritis has set in my left ankle from a previous surgery and subsequent injury.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #39
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
I'm not saying auto is bad or manual better. For me it takes no true skill to drive auto. I feel no real connection with the car like I do my CBR, no downshifting into the twist or up shifting going WOT out of a twist like when I'm on my bike.
Yeah this is the 21st century but it doesn't mean we should lose or skills driving a manual nor does it mean manual is better. Each has it's place. Anybody can drive an auto but not everybody can truly drive a manual. Again I'm not saying I will never own an auto again, I'm not going to bash the auto because I chose the manual as I'm sure there will be times I wish it was an auto just like there are times I wish my current auto was a manual
I'm just saying I'm going to enjoy my new mistress
ghostrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #40
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Drag raced and daily drove manual transmissions for years and enjoyed them. No question that the A6 (yes I said automatic) was the way to go in my ZL1! One of the huge advantages this car has over others.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #41
white1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.N. View Post
Perhaps you need to drive a car that can run 140+mph in the quarter then talk about your driving skills.

I have a friend with a manual GTO he can go 142mph and pull a 1.5 60ft and it's a manual however it would be better if it was an auto.
Bingo!!!
white1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #42
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Good call!
In regard to drag racing, I think it is a great challenge every time I pull up to the lights and know I have to hold the throttle at exactly the rpm the track conditions are giving me that day, then drag the clutch just enough not to bog the motor out of the hole, then give it full throttle just fast enough that it doesn't blow out the tires, then bang the shifts as fast as possible at exactly the max rpms before it hits the limiter..3 times....all in about 10 seconds..... And when the other car loses (which they usually do) not only was my car faster, but I drove it. Screw the testosterone....I'll take the manual. You auto guys have no idea how challenging drag racing can be...lol.
No kidding. After running an auto at the track for years; driving a M6 was a humbling but exhilarating experience. It will be that much sweeter when I hit the 10's.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote