Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
OK....so what is happening is that your putting the car in sport mode, and your getting on it pretty heavy, and the car stays in a low gear, keeping you above 4,000+ rpm.

This is normal. When you put the car in sport mode, it will shift earlier and more often...that happens instantly. But it isn't until you really get on it that the car really begins to drive aggressively, and will actually hold on to lower gears on purpose. If you don't continue to drive aggressively, after 10 - 15 seconds the car will shift back to a higher gear, dropping the rpms down.

Now if your saying that even with your foot off the gas, the car is continuing to push you forward....like say the Toyota Prius misshap where the throttle was literally stuck, then yes that IS problem. But if you are able to use the brakes to bring the car to a stop and the rpms go down again after 10 - 15 seconds...I say its not an issue, and the car is working as designed.
He clearly states in his opening remarks that it does indeed hold 4000-5000 rpm even when his foot isn't on the gas. It's either a bad description or he's got problems. It's under warranty....let the dealer figure it out. Unless of course it's one of those elusive intermittent scenarios.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
He clearly states in his opening remarks that it does indeed hold 4000-5000 rpm even when his foot isn't on the gas. It's either a bad description or he's got problems. It's under warranty....let the dealer figure it out. Unless of course it's one of those elusive intermittent scenarios.
It will hold it for about 10-14 seconds before the throttle dies does, but it will not surpass that if I don't gun it.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
It will hold it for about 10-14 seconds before the throttle dies does, but it will not surpass that if I don't gun it.

How fast are you going when this occurs? I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of the tranny holding lower gear and what you are experiencing may be engine braking. Of course when let off the gas ,if the car continues to hold speed ,then something is definitely amiss.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #18
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Now and then if I'm in sport mode my throttle will continue to rev and be stuck in 4000-5000 rpm even if my foot isn't on the gas.
There is NO WAY this is a normal scenario. When you take your foot off the gas, the engine should not continue running at 4-5K rpms.

Even if it's intermittent, this is a serious safety hazard and you should take it to your dealer for repair - NOW! But first, take the CAI off and reinstall the stock one and see if it still does it. If the problem still occurs, it's not your CAI mod. What brand of CAI did you put on?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #19
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
There is NO WAY this is a normal scenario. When you take your foot off the gas, the engine should not continue running at 4-5K rpms.

Even if it's intermittent, this is a serious safety hazard and you should take it to your dealer for repair - NOW! But first, take the CAI off and reinstall the stock one and see if it still does it. If the problem still occurs, it's not your CAI mod. What brand of CAI did you put on?
Cold air Inductions. I haven't seen an issue with the CAI, it's been on for about 8 months, this is only about the 4th or 5th time happening to me.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
OK....so what is happening is that your putting the car in sport mode, and your getting on it pretty heavy, and the car stays in a low gear, keeping you above 4,000+ rpm.

This is normal. When you put the car in sport mode, it will shift earlier and more often...that happens instantly. But it isn't until you really get on it that the car really begins to drive aggressively, and will actually hold on to lower gears on purpose. If you don't continue to drive aggressively, after 10 - 15 seconds the car will shift back to a higher gear, dropping the rpms down.

^This has been my experience...

OP: have you tried hitting the tapshift when this happens? hit it a couple times to go to higher gears.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #21
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
[QUOTE=SSGUNNER;7628884]This has happened to me before. I think it went back to normal after 10 - 15 secs. Has only happened less than a handful but no clue why it happens. I think I once did drop to D and back to S. And as I remember it happened when I gun it.[

This happened to me once...it was the aftermarket floor mats that slide forward and caught the gas pedal.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #22
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
I would guess this is normal sport mode behavior and the OP is unfamiliar with the behavior of the car in sport mode. I only speak from the recollection of my own amusement the first time my car held a gear or down shifted abruptly when I wasn't used to that in a slush box. To be on the safe side, I would take the car to the dealer and take them on a test drive to demonstrate whatever it is that is going on and find out if it is normal.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #23
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
OP where you driving in a compettitive manor in sport and not tap shifting? If so this may be normal and part of the vehicle anticipating that you will be jumping back on the throttle so it holds the trans and throttle for you. This also may be part of the fourth gear hold used on the V6 with the MXO trans.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #24
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
I checked for bulletins but found none that apply. I'd be more inclined to believe it is a floor mat or CAI issue because if they even suspected a throttle sticking issue there would be bulletins all over the place for it, they do not want another ignition recall scenario for the media to blow out of proportion again. You should have a dealer take a look at it. Please let us know what their finds are.

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #25
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I am thinking its more of a TCM/ ECM OR related wiring. The floor mats, throttle body, CIA etc. dont know what mode its in. If it only does it in sport mode and not D , the main difference is the TCM or it's comunication with the ECM
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #26
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
I never even touched the sensor. I was very careful about that.
Quote:
Cold air Inductions. I haven't seen an issue with the CAI, it's been on for about 8 months, this is only about the 4th or 5th time happening to me.
I only asked what brand CAI because you stated you "never touched the (MAF) sensor". I installed a CAI, Inc intake as well and you cannot install that brand without touching the MAF sensor.

Not saying that is the source of your issue... just saying it could be. They are pretty sensitive to foreign elements (grease from handling, etc.).

I would unplug it and clean it with appropriate substance, reinstall, and see if it still happens. Just to be safe. What if you were punching the gas to (say) keep up with another car showing out directly in front of you and... they hit the brakes hard - and your car keeps going with your foot off the gas? Could be ugly.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
I thought the Camaro had a TPS sensor with an IVS switch which would never allow the car to request RPM from the ECM when the IVS is on?

Sounds dangerous! Bring it to the dealer and have it checked out ASAP!

Currently driving a 2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe.
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #28
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Doesn't sound like a "stuck throttle" as much as the transmission holding a lower gear in Sport Mode. Could be interpreted as a stuck throttle but no acceleration may actually be happening, just high rpms?
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote