Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #43
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenSean View Post
Another thing @ Billy, quite a few of your references on google are people with modified/lifted suspension. Of course if you try to lift a vehicle and still retain the stock parking brake it will get stressed beyond design.
Quite a few of my references were people with modified/lifted suspensions?

First link was to a guy with a 2003 Cadillac CTS. Second link was to a guy with a JK whose mods didn't affect his parking brake cable in any way. Post #8 in that link from a guy who had his snap at 51K miles on a stock Jeep. Third link is to a Mini Cooper forum and multiple people in there have replaced their parking brake cables after they've snapped. Fourth link was to a Chevy Avalanche forum and his truck was stock as well. There was one guy in that thread whose cable snapped off the handle (cable was fine, handle part broke), but the OP in that thread, his cable snapped in two. Fifth link was to a guy with 100% stock Jeep Wrangler. And a bunch of people in that thread also reported having gone through a broken parking cable in their lifetime.

I also found a dozen youtube videos showing you how to replace the parking brake cable on various vehicles. Why would those exist? Rust? What exactly about the parking cable assembly makes rust form on cables that aren't used but NOT form on cables that are?

I still can't believe this crap is going on. No one here, correctly so, has argued that parking brake cables don't stretch with use. No one here would ever be able to find a metallurgist or materials scientist who would ever even suggest that any material, stretched enough, won't ultimately fail.

I personally keep vehicles till they're at least 15 years old and many of my vehicles have lived a hard life. I've seen clutch cables break. I've seen parking cables break. I offered up advice early on that is perfectly sound - use 1st gear to park instead of your handbrake: your car WILL NOT MOVE.

No one has bothered to point out that what I've said is perfectly logical. Instead, everyone feels the need to defend their right to use the emergency brake every time they park their car on flat ground. You know what, to all of you, please continue to do so. I'm done trying to educate the children.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #44
Mamooth

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I still can't believe this crap is going on. No one here, correctly so, has argued that parking brake cables don't stretch with use. No one here would ever be able to find a metallurgist or materials scientist who would ever even suggest that any material, stretched enough, won't ultimately fail.

I personally keep vehicles till they're at least 15 years old and many of my vehicles have lived a hard life. I've seen clutch cables break. I've seen parking cables break. I offered up advice early on that is perfectly sound - use 1st gear to park instead of your handbrake: your car WILL NOT MOVE.

No one has bothered to point out that what I've said is perfectly logical. Instead, everyone feels the need to defend their right to use the emergency brake every time they park their car on flat ground. You know what, to all of you, please continue to do so. I'm done trying to educate the children.
That's the internet. Everyone goes on semantic nitpicking rants until someone blows their own head off just to be done with it.

No one here has suggested that cables don't wear/break. Any idiot knows that anything mechanical is going to wear, and things that wear will break. However, what they are saying is that your advice sounds very much like "DONT DO THIS because you will wear your cable out". While that is TECHNICALLY true, I have owned exactly ONE automatic out of the many cars I have owned. On EVERY SINGLE MANUAL, some with 300k miles or more, I used the parking brake literally EVERY TIME I parked the car. I have never had to replace a cable on my car. Not one time. I had to replace someone's cable because I pulled it and they had never engaged it to their knowledge in ten years of ownership. SNAP!

I think the wear is so minimal that what you are arguing seems very akin to "You shouldn't be rolling your windows up and down because the motor will wear out one day."

All of that aside, it's the internet so no one can disagree with anyone without it turning into an argument, right?
Mamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #45
5thGenSean

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Quite a few of my references were people with modified/lifted suspensions?

First link was to a guy with a 2003 Cadillac CTS. Second link was to a guy with a JK whose mods didn't affect his parking brake cable in any way. Post #8 in that link from a guy who had his snap at 51K miles on a stock Jeep. Third link is to a Mini Cooper forum and multiple people in there have replaced their parking brake cables after they've snapped. Fourth link was to a Chevy Avalanche forum and his truck was stock as well. There was one guy in that thread whose cable snapped off the handle (cable was fine, handle part broke), but the OP in that thread, his cable snapped in two. Fifth link was to a guy with 100% stock Jeep Wrangler. And a bunch of people in that thread also reported having gone through a broken parking cable in their lifetime.

I also found a dozen youtube videos showing you how to replace the parking brake cable on various vehicles. Why would those exist? Rust? What exactly about the parking cable assembly makes rust form on cables that aren't used but NOT form on cables that are?

Billy you should stop, you don't understand what happens with corrosion on moving parts vs stationary parts. You are fighting a single one man battle in case you haven't noticed. With normal use the parking brake cable will not seize to the outer sleeve, that is what creates failures. Of course moving parts will fail eventually but your means of preservation is not OK. It takes a long time for the OEM galvanised cable to rust through with normal use.
5thGenSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #46
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
You shouldn't use your brake pedal either because one day the brake pads will wear out. Just stick your foot out the door.
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #47
Mamooth

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
You shouldn't use your brake pedal either because one day the brake pads will wear out. Just stick your foot out the door.

No no no! Your SHOES will wear out that way. You just toss an anchor out and hope for the best!
Mamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #48
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamooth View Post
No no no! Your SHOES will wear out that way. You just toss an anchor out and hope for the best!
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote